*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Key Fob Sensor/Receiver Location

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Key Fob Sensor/Receiver Location

Postby austieman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:43 am

Morning All,

I'm having a problem with my key fob on my 2016 Transit. The key itself works fine. I am able to drive the vehicle, unlock the drivers door and use the buttons on the door to open the remaining doors.
The buttons on the key itself however don't do anything. When we picked the vehicle up, they definitely worked but once the purchase was complete and before we left it wasn't working anymore. The dealer has offered to replace/pay for repairs which is all fine (He's based in York and I'm in London).
This morning I went to a key repair place near me that said they could do the work. Within 30 seconds of speaking to the guy, he tells me that there is definitely a signal coming of the key (he used an RF sensor). Which led him to conclude that the issue was with the receiver in the van.

Now comes my question: Where is the key RF receiver in the vehicle?
The guy in the store said it was somewhere in the headliner, and ideally I'd like to locate it just to confirm that it is not a loose connection, rather than drive down to a garage and pay £150 for something that is an easy fix.

Can anyone advise?

Apologies if this question has already been answered, I tried searching but think I might be using the wrong keywords.

Thanks.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Key Fob Sensor/Receiver Location

Postby Airthies » Wed Jul 22, 2020 9:57 am

Have you checked the fuses?
Manuals here if you don't have one
https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle ... our-manual

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:05 pm

In the Mk7, the receiver is under the headlining, fixed to the roof, near to the front cab courtesy light. It may be in a similar position in the Mk8, it may be worth a look :idea:
Do you have two batteries under the seat? Have both of them checked :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby austieman » Wed Jul 22, 2020 5:55 pm

Airthies wrote:Have you checked the fuses?
Manuals here if you don't have one
https://www.ford.co.uk/owner/my-vehicle ... our-manual

I hadn't checked but since have. The challenge is that I'm not sure what Ford call the receiver, so the only fuse that I felt was relevant was the one in the attached image, which is fine.
Manual Fuse Reference.PNG

I tried attaching a list of the fuses available but it won't let me for some reason.

Altransit wrote:In the Mk7, the receiver is under the headlining, fixed to the roof, near to the front cab courtesy light. It may be in a similar position in the Mk8, it may be worth a look :idea:
Do you have two batteries under the seat? Have both of them checked :idea:

I'll take a look around that area and see if I can identify it. And I'm quite sure I only have one battery under the seat, unless there is smaller one? But everything else electrical seems to be in order, surely there isn't a battery just for the receiver?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby austieman » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:59 am

So, a brief update which will hopefully be of benefit to others.

With the help of the parts diagram on 7zap and a local ford dealer, I've been able to identify the part but because of the terrible drawing am still struggling to locate it.
The dealer reckons it is in the "drivers side front quarter panel", which I took as meaning the panel opposite the sliding cargo door. I wasn't able to locate it anywhere there, nor could I find any cables that I could follow to a receiver. On review of the image I now think it might be in the headliner above the passenger seat.
I've attached the picture for reference, as well as apicture of the actual part. If anyone has ever come across this part and could tell me where it is that would be fantastic.
Thanks

Location - part marked in yellow.
Receiver Location.PNG

Sample image of a receiver.
tourneo_custom_2013_antenn.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby straydog » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Picture of location.

Hth :)
straydog
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Fri Jul 24, 2020 10:15 am

Appologies if this has been covered in this thread but not had time to read all posts...

It's probably the key fob that's at fault, not the receiver. I've had two go so far on my 2016 Transit.

There's a design fault in the key fob causing a connection to break - the connection that allows the fob to charge by induction when you are driving. Hence your key has a flat battery and you can't charge it. The batteries are not replaceable and the fob is non-serviceable.

Maybe that test you had done detected a signal too weak to work the van?

You probably need a new fob mate - sorry.

HT.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dan T » Thu Aug 13, 2020 11:53 pm

The receiver is inside the plastic shelf/Din hole that’s been taken out on that last pic.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby austieman » Sun Aug 16, 2020 2:57 pm

Hi all I thought I’d give a quick update.

I’ve been faffing around trying to get to the receiver from both the cab and over the top in the cargo space, but to no avail.
It seems to be tucked in the tiniest gap between the edge of the windscreen and the overhead cargo shelf which can’t be more than 6 inches across and I can’t even see it let alone get my fingers to it.

Either way I have accepted the fact that I’m going to have to take it to take it to ford to be sorted. I happened to be passing one recently and dropped in to see if they could potentially sort it on the spot but they just reconfirmed what I already knew which is that the key is definitely emitting a signal, and it would need a more comprehensive assessment to understand what the issue is. They said something about potentially recoding it or having to look at the receiver.

Thanks to those that have replied, I’ll post an update following the repair for everyone’s benefit. Maybe it can help someone in the future.

Cheers
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mikelavo » Tue Aug 16, 2022 9:26 pm

Did you get anywhere with this mate?
It's driving me nuts.

austieman wrote:Hi all I thought I’d give a quick update.

I’ve been faffing around trying to get to the receiver from both the cab and over the top in the cargo space, but to no avail.
It seems to be tucked in the tiniest gap between the edge of the windscreen and the overhead cargo shelf which can’t be more than 6 inches across and I can’t even see it let alone get my fingers to it.

Either way I have accepted the fact that I’m going to have to take it to take it to ford to be sorted. I happened to be passing one recently and dropped in to see if they could potentially sort it on the spot but they just reconfirmed what I already knew which is that the key is definitely emitting a signal, and it would need a more comprehensive assessment to understand what the issue is. They said something about potentially recoding it or having to look at the receiver.

Thanks to those that have replied, I’ll post an update following the repair for everyone’s benefit. Maybe it can help someone in the future.

Cheers
mikelavo

Postby Blizz » Wed Aug 17, 2022 8:16 am

Blizz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Stuck69 » Sun Aug 28, 2022 5:47 pm

Hi I’m interested to know if you found the receiver because I have the same problem both keys have been checked and the central locking works fine on the buttons on the door card and locks fine from the drivers door but nothing on the remote.
Stuck69

Postby Altransit » Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:50 am

Stuck69 wrote:Hi I’m interested to know if you found the receiver because I have the same problem both keys have been checked and the central locking works fine on the buttons on the door card and locks fine from the drivers door but nothing on the remote.

Did you follow the link in the post above yours?

:arrow: viewtopic.php?f=64&t=216834
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Stuck69 » Mon Aug 29, 2022 11:49 am

Will try this next thanks
Stuck69

Postby juic3 » Thu Nov 24, 2022 7:06 pm

I'm having same kind of issue. I just bought the car ( Transit 2014 350 ) and the dealer said it's just a bad battery on the key.
Yesterday I showed the key to Car key maker and they said that there was signal coming from the key. They also said that a new key might help but I'm not totally convinced.

I think my fuses are ok because in this model same fuse is used by ventilation and air conditioning.

Did you manage to resolve you problem ? I just might need to take to somebody if no easy fix is found.
Just bought the car and feel bad.
juic3

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits