*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

DCiV backseat position

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

DCiV backseat position

Postby salvador_limones » Mon Aug 17, 2020 12:10 pm

Hello,

I was thinking about buying a new Transit DCiV instead of a family car (they seem too tight, and every time we go on vacation, it feels like we are packing half the house), and I am a little confused about the backseat options. I've seen this type with 3 seats that kind of seem to be mounted in the middle:

and there is this model with 4 seats that seem to be mounted a little bit back near the bulkhead:

which seems to have more leg room.

Is the 4 seat in the back an official model from Ford, is it a custom car? Does the 3 seat version move or slide back near the bulkhead or not (I don't see any adjustable floor mounts)? I would prefer to have more leg room in the back for the kids.

Thank you.
Gabriel
salvador_limones

Re: DCiV backseat position

Postby chris_ » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:07 pm

Hi!

Both are official seat variations in the Transit.

2+2 seats is Rear Seat Option 1
3 seats is Rear Seat Option 2

But there are some constraints. With some models u can order the 2+2, with others u can't. I've yet to find the logic behind it...

The options are listed in the german pricelist (on P41) https://www.ford.de/content/dam/guxeu/d ... ne_lkw.pdf

But i haven't found them in UK pricelist, which looks completely different.. https://www.ford.co.uk/content/dam/guxe ... it_Van.pdf

Sadly, with both options u only get 2 ISOFIX seats in the back...

Both don't slide.
EDIT: --->Im not so that sure about this anymore --> Both use the same floor mountings(they share 3 of the 4 mountings of the 2+2).

I'm looking myself for an MK8 for a similar use case. But i want to take the bulkhead out and use the back as convertible camper van.

Cheers,

Chris
MK 7.5 12plate - 125hp 2.2TDCI - FWD LHD SWB LR - 9 seats, windows and lots of toys :) --> southampton built and rescued from france
chris_
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby chris_ » Tue Aug 18, 2020 9:34 pm

U can have a look at the BEMM here(an p.302) https://www.etis.ford.com/bemm/bemmAcce ... epted=true
U might be able to move the seats from front to back and vice versa. The mounting points should be there, but you'll probably have to cut the flooring...
bemm_p302.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MK 7.5 12plate - 125hp 2.2TDCI - FWD LHD SWB LR - 9 seats, windows and lots of toys :) --> southampton built and rescued from france
chris_
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby salvador_limones » Fri Aug 21, 2020 12:31 am

Hi Chris,

That's very good information. I like the van even more, now that I found out that the backseat can be moved and that the mounting points are somewhere underneath.

I am a little confused though, that is says "The following figure shows the second and third row seat fixing positions in the floor."

rear_seat.PNG

Are there mount points for a third row in a DCiV? I looked in the manual that you provided, and there is 1630mm distance from the first to the last mount point in the back , but is there enough space?

Thank you.
Gabriel
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
salvador_limones

Postby chris_ » Fri Aug 21, 2020 10:05 pm

Hi Gabriel,

i stumbled across the same issue and tbh i don't know.

I think Mk7 DCIVs had the mounting points for the third row seats.

But who knows, whether they changed that.

U could try to look underneath a passenger mk8 und compare it with a dciv.

maybe u can find some info in the CAD drawings https://www.etis.ford.com/bemm/bemmCadS ... cleID=1740

Cheers,

Chris
chris_
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hughesyn » Mon Aug 24, 2020 2:15 pm

I've got a DCIV with 3 rear seats.
They don't move, only one set of floor fixings.

The whole seat is one bit. It's really heavy and hard to get out.
I've carpeted the floor in the back, and the bulkhead.

In hindsight, I wish I'd ordered a single front passenger seat and 4 seats in the back (I need 6 total).
The kids would have been fine. Each of the 3 seats is massive, 4 would be no problem.
The main problem is the fixed 2 seat front passenger seat doesn't move and is quite uncomfortable on long journeys.
Four seat option is split into 2 sets of 2, so much easier to get out. Also gives the option of taking out a pair and leaving a pair in. With the 3 seat bench it's all or nothing.

Unless your kids are professional basketball players, the leg room in the back is fine with 3 seat option.
The space behind the seats is actually very useful for storing stuff.
2023 Mk8 DCIV 170 auto L3H2
hughesyn
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits