*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Roof rack and ladder options

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Roof rack and ladder options

Postby Rowdey » Tue Nov 03, 2020 7:58 am

Morning all..! Have bought a 66 plate Mk8 (350 Trend with Sync 2, L2H2, 170BHP, 27k miles) and kitting it out before making the jump from current MK6.

She's in for dead bolts and alarm right now, then it will be roof bar and door ladder options, before racking (ply or Bott..)

Have done a search on roof bars, but not much comes up, but as i see it, it's either Rhino Kammbar or Van Guard Ulti bar. 3 bar with roller.

The seem pretty similar in construction, both made of Ali, but Rhino can take 75kg per bar, VG 55kg;

Rhino are 30% more expensive, but i like that VG made in UK.

Door ladder, Rhino seems to be the winner hands down, VG looks pony.

Any experiences on bars from other users..?

Cheers

R
03 Dual Fuel MR MWB and now 66 Mk8 L2H2..
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Roof rack and ladder options

Postby hectors-tranny » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:06 pm

I've got the Rhino alu ones. Very pleased. Been on for 4+ years now with no problems.

MDM_9691.jpg

Re ladder - I decided to buy a telescopic one and make a special place to keep it inside, accessible from sliding door. That way there's less to fix to the outside, makes nicking stuff off the roof harder etc. It's also useful as I can move it around the van when I'm tying things down, unlike a fixed ladder.

MDM_9688.jpg

MDM_9690.jpg

I also wrote a thread while back on the fixing holes on the roof it that helps...

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=170060
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rowdey » Tue Nov 03, 2020 10:30 pm

yes, i’ve read that about the fixing holes - very helpful, cheers.

Seems not really anyone else fitted roof bars then..! Interesting thought on ladder.. i have a theory that my mk6 hasn’t been done over yet due to rear door being less ‘peelable’ as it has a door fixed to it tho..
Rhino maybe seems way to go.. being nosey, what’s that machine in black housing..?!
cheers
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hectors-tranny » Wed Nov 04, 2020 11:28 am

Rowdey wrote:what’s that machine in black housing..?!
cheers

Back end of a 12V fridge - it's a motorcaravan conversion.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digahole78 » Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:30 am

Have you seen the rack by AV Rig in the states. Really lovely aesthetic to it. https://www.avcrig.com/store
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby man le-mans » Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:31 pm

I fitted VG on mine and they seems ok. I only put ladders on mine so not used much but with the roller bar on the back never had a problem.I went for the 3 bars with the roller
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby J.J McDuff » Fri Dec 11, 2020 12:27 pm

If you have gone ahead with a selection, then disregard the following, but if you are a practically minded person, have you considered unistrut?

I work with the damn stuff regularly and never considered it until I was researching and came across a few videos on the topic. Lots of options to customise, it's affordable, and durable...

I know I'm looking at it for when my new custom arrives soon.
J.J McDuff
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Rowdey » Fri Dec 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Cheers for all replies - Although not on yet, i went with VG 3 bar plus roller.
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tt225 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 8:25 pm

Just thought I'd show a couple of photos of my choices, the Vanguard roof rack and the Rhino rear ladder. I also fitted an ally walkway which I've had a few years and started off on a mk5 but makes life alot easier and safer than either stepping on and denting the roof or trying to walk on the bars. The photos are a couple of years old now and the roof rack has been perfect and the ladder is a must have. The finish on the rack is still virtually as good now as it was new and although I wouldn't have a different ladder, the slightest chip of the power coating will start to rust. I had a Rhino ladder on a mk7 that started to corrode after a few months without any damage to the coating but Rhino sent me a replacement no quibbles.ImageImage

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
tt225
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Rowdey » Wed Dec 30, 2020 11:17 pm

Nice - Think i'm going with the Rhino door ladder too, but was concerned about putting strain on door hinges and how good fixings are.. Did you put own door on, and easy/clear instructions ..?

cheers

R
Rowdey
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby tt225 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:41 pm

The hinges on a mk8 seem alot stronger than my old mk7 and climbing up it feels solid. I bought a set of step drills from screwfix that I found were easier to drill with than normally hss drill bits as they don't pull themselves in. I put a bit of grease on the bare metal I drilled just to stop any corrosion starting but apart from that it was straightforward enough once I'd built up the courage to drill the door!

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
tt225
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits