*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Starting issues on MK8 2014

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Starting issues on MK8 2014

Postby twin22 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 8:34 pm

Hi boys and girls dont know if anyone can throw some light on this one for me. I just put it down to user error at first so not waiting till the glow plug light goes out before starting it. But the issue is getting worse. So from a cold start it seems fine wait till the glow plug light goes out and turn it over and it fires up. Once its warm and you turn it off if you tried to start it say within a minute really you should be able to turn it over straight away ? Regardless even if you wait for the glow plugs light to go out it takes a while turning over spluttering before it eventually fires up. Now if i wait till the air bag light to go out which is a couple of seconds after the glow plug light it fires up a lot quicker. I just dont get it. I have tried turning the ignition on twice before starting it, this is still when the engine is warm so not a cold start and it is even worse. Its quite a violent turn over noise spluttering and farting is the best choice of words. I have searched the net for clues but not found an answer. Can someone help please ? By the way it has just been serviced as it has been every 10k it has 90k on the clock.
twin22
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Starting issues on MK8 2014

Postby Sam123 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:48 am

Strange one. I might have suggested low pressure (in-tank) lift pump, but you say that cold start is better than warm start, and priming twice doesn't help, so probably not that.

From symptoms, doesn't sound fueling related. I doubt glow plugs will be the problem either - they aren't used for starting.

Sounds electrical related from what you describe (in particular it being better to start after waiting for airbag light to extinguish. EGR issue might be my best guess. Things that perhaps point to that: worse starting when warm (the EGR may be getting stuck open during the first instance of running), and the violent starting/running (poor combustion).

I'd get underneath, take of the anti shudder valve, and give the anti-shudder valve, MAP sensor, and the inlet fanimold a good clean. See if that's any better, though probably not.

After that, do you have Forscan diagnostics? If not, might be worth getting it, it's only cheap. You can then monitor the EGR function. If anything looks amiss, I'd replace the EGR valve. A good Pierburg part is only about £100.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Altransit » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:55 am

It might be worth changing the ignition switch (not the lock barrel) as it could be making intermittent contact when starting :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Joegrey » Fri May 06, 2022 9:17 am

twin22 wrote:Hi boys and girls dont know if anyone can throw some light on this one for me. I just put it down to user error at first so not waiting till the glow plug light goes out before starting it. But the issue is getting worse. So from a cold start it seems fine wait till the glow plug light goes out and turn it over and it fires up. Once its warm and you turn it off if you tried to start it say within a minute really you should be able to turn it over straight away ? Regardless even if you wait for the glow plugs light to go out it takes a while turning over spluttering before it eventually fires up. Now if i wait till the air bag light to go out which is a couple of seconds after the glow plug light it fires up a lot quicker. I just dont get it. I have tried turning the ignition on twice before starting it, this is still when the engine is warm so not a cold start and it is even worse. Its quite a violent turn over noise spluttering and farting is the best choice of words. I have searched the net for clues but not found an answer. Can someone help please ? By the way it has just been serviced as it has been every 10k it has 90k on the clock.

Bit of an epic bump, but did you ever sort this?
Joegrey

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits