*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 starting problem

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Mk8 starting problem

Postby puttyhead » Fri Jan 01, 2021 2:00 pm

Hi all.
I have a Mk8 with 70000 miles.
The ignition had started playing up by not allowing remote control key turn ,but use spare key and this works better .The main problem is the van is hard to start from cold first time but fine rest of day .Are these problems connected .I have changed fuel filter and battery dosnt seem to struggle.
Thanks all in advanced
puttyhead
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Mk8 starting problem

Postby Sam123 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 4:22 pm

I doubt the two are connected.

The remote key/spare key issue sounds like the remote key blade is excessively worn/deformed - is it? I've seen this quite a few times. Seems to be caused by the bonnet release key barrel, which is quite stiff and can twist the blade. If this is the problem, a new key blade, cut based on the good spare, should be an easy fix.

Re the cold start problem, might be worth describing symptoms more fully. Does it always crank at the same speed, or does it crank slower when cold than hot? Is the low-pressure lift pump working (should be audible when you turn key to second position)?
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby puttyhead » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:10 pm

Hello Sam I think you are right about the key as the end does look worn so will sort that out .
As for the starting it is worse when cold as this morning no frost it seemed to start ok .The engine seems to make the same noise as before dosnt sound laboured.I put a starter pack on to see if it fired quicker but was the same.The van starts first time for the rest of the day,or if left for 8 hours still seems ok.The noise you say to listen to on the second key setting what should it sound like how long should the heater light stay on ,I dont know if it's me but seems 2 seconds and goes out
Thanks Noel.
puttyhead
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Sam123 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 5:25 pm

Which engine do you have - 2.2 or 2.0?

How long to start when cold are we talking?

Assuming that your engine has a lift pump (2.2 does, unsure about 2.0), should be quietly audible humming noise coming from fuel tank. From memory, lift pump stays on for about 30 secs after turning key to second position, before turning off if engine isn't started.

Heater plugs would ordinarily be the last culprit. They tend not to be needed much for starting on DI diesels. Although if the issue is only prevalent at sub-zero temp, heater plugs could be relevant.

Sounds more fuelling related to me. Might be worth getting it on a decent diagnostic machine to check for fault codes. You can buy the kit you need to use Forscan diagnostics for £20.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digahole78 » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:27 pm

I have exactly the same issue on my 350. Cold mornings make starting very laboured. Be interested to know if you find a solution.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby puttyhead » Fri Jan 01, 2021 8:56 pm

Hello Sam.
Thanks for your help.
Its a 2.2 and yes i can hear a faint humming before turning key to fire up.
IT takes about 3 attempts usual 5 second bursts ,but what i do notice it seems that the key doesn't come back straight away same feeling as if a starter motor got stuck.
This might be normal you dont take any notice when things work correctly.
I had the fuel filter changed a couple of weeks ago to see if this helped and i use Redex but also supermarket fuel.
puttyhead
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Sam123 » Sat Jan 02, 2021 12:21 pm

That's an odd one.

3 attempts does sound like a problem rather than just normal cold-weather starting. Mine always starts first turn regardless of cold.

Sounds fuelling related to me - possibly fuel running back to tank (although that would ordinarily be affected more by parked-up time than temperature).

I think it's worth getting it onto diagnostics, because doesn't sound like anything obvious. With good diagnostics like Forscan you can check ignition switch operation, and also check fuel rail pressure.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby puttyhead » Wed Jan 27, 2021 9:34 pm

Hi all.
Just to let you know the progress on this starting problem.
I brought a new battery as was still the original with 82000 miles incase this was struggling to start , and it didnt help with problen.
i have now had the glow plugs done £300 and this seems to have cured the problem but not had a very cold morning so will hang on and see

Thanks for your help and no doubt i will be back soon.
puttyhead
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Digahole78 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 6:18 pm

Thanks for the update. They are so useful but rarely done.

puttyhead wrote:Hi all.
Just to let you know the progress on this starting problem.
I brought a new battery as was still the original with 82000 miles incase this was struggling to start , and it didnt help with problen.
i have now had the glow plugs done £300 and this seems to have cured the problem but not had a very cold morning so will hang on and see

Thanks for your help and no doubt i will be back soon.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby megalift » Wed Feb 09, 2022 12:05 pm

Hello all and thanks in advance for any help you can give.

I've got a Transit Mk8 with Euro 5 2.2 engine. Some time ago it developed a starting issue that's intermittent but has gotten worse to the point where today it won't start and unfortunately for me as a self employed guy, I can't work without it so it's a problem.
As I said, the problem is not new. It actually (usually) starts fine in the morning and gets progressively more reluctant as the day goes on.

I took it to a local garage that does tuning and remaps and they told me that my dpf was fully clogged and needed to be removed, so 1 dpf removal and remap later and £600+ lighter and off we go, still occasionally reluctant to start but I needed it to earn a living so couldn't afford further down time so I put up with it, but lately it's gotten rapidly worse to the point we're it won't start without a bump now.

What I do know; it's been serviced (filter and fluids changed) every 6-8000 miles since I've owned it (got it with 30k on the clock, it's now got 76k) as I was told that I'll be unlikely to have engine problems if I change the oil regularly.
Number 4 injector has an issue.
I have used injector cleaner fairly regularly to try to improve matters.
I have a friend who has snap on diagnostic equipment and it doesn't seem to indicate anything particularly relevant.

So in summary, it usually starts fine from cold and gets harder to start throughout the day. The nature of my work is a bit stop/start so it becomes an issue as the day wears on.

Any pointers you can give would be greatly appreciated because right now I don't even know where to look and I've already been sold a couple of remaps that didn't fix the problems on the basis that they would.
megalift

Postby richardw » Sun Apr 24, 2022 6:25 pm

Did this get resolved ? Have similar issue
richardw
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits