*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sliding door leak

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Sliding door leak

Postby Rtak » Fri Jan 08, 2021 6:31 pm

Hi guys. In the process of converting my 2017 mk8. Come across a water leak in the column directly behind the sliding door. We have removed and sealed a bolt which is located there, we have sealed where the door mechanism cable comes in slightly lower. Still water leaking in when we hose down the door rail. Hard to track the water as we are having to peer in holes in the column and its very inaccessible.
Does anyone have experience of fixing a leak from the sliding door rail or has anyone changed the rail for other reasons and can advise whether this is straightforward to removed? then we can seal with sikaflex and stick it back on.
We've run water on the roof without it running over the door and there is no obvious water coming from the roof. There is so little on that side, literally the cable and bolt we have sealed, a rubber circular seal at the top and the rail.
Rtak

Re: Sliding door leak

Postby hectors-tranny » Sat Jan 09, 2021 2:47 pm

Are you sure it's not coming in through the gap between the top of the door and the side of the van above it? If so it will run along the top of the rubber door seal and down the column at the side.

I ask that as mine did, and it leaked through the rubber seal as well in heavy rain rain. A right pain in the arse and a design fault I reckon. The dealers tried and couldn't fix it (it was a new van I was converting, and I was well into it before it started raining and I noticed, so it was all a real nighmare).

In the end I gave up trying to get them to fix it, and put a piece of thin Fiamma guttering above the sliding door (I sprayed it the same colour as my van). That solved it.

MDM_9763.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
hectors-tranny
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Sliding door leak

Postby Steve21 » Sun May 09, 2021 9:38 am

Hi, I’ve got the same problem, can not pin point where the water is getting through. Van is parked on a downhill slope which is making water run down column but cannot find the point of entry.
It’s a Ford transit minibus mk8 which I am converting. Only noticed it when started to insulate.
Steve21

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits