*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Timing belt recall

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Timing belt recall

Postby austieman » Thu Feb 04, 2021 10:18 am

Willber37 wrote:I had the fuse recall done September last year..

Just checked my vehicle for the timing belt but says nothing due on the Ford Etis system?? Mines a 66' plate.. so what has changed if anything in 6 months on the 2.0 Ecoblue? Surely I have the same engine?

I have the same engine as you and just checked Etis again and the recall notice has disappeared.

p2thed wrote:Just an update, all timing belt recalls have been cancelled until May due to parts issues

Suspect that its probably down to parts issues as p2thed said.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Willber37 » Thu Feb 04, 2021 7:17 pm

Hah...Oh well.. will keep an eye out for it in the Spring / Summer. Not even hit 20K miles yet should be good for a while.
I thought the Panther engine was a cam chain as well... :lol:
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby man le-mans » Thu Feb 04, 2021 9:53 pm

Willber37 wrote:Hah...Oh well.. will keep an eye out for it in the Spring / Summer. Not even hit 20K miles yet should be good for a while.
I thought the Panther engine was a cam chain as well... :lol:

I don’t understand why they have done it. With the mondeo engine you would have thought they would have learned
MK8 L2H2 T350 TREND 68 plate silver 130bhp
Mk7 MWB M/R T350 TREND 2010 SILVER 115BHP
MK7 MWB M/R T350 2009 BLUE 115BHP (crap)
MK6 MWB M/R T280 full electric pack silver 2003 85BHP
Smiley face T reg L/R SWB ex BT
man le-mans
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Chrisp74 » Fri Feb 05, 2021 8:45 am

I think generally Mechanics are a cautious bunch? They will be looking at the belt through a small hole and trying to make a call. If they see anything even slightly questionable I think they will condemn the belt.
That's a lot of timing belt kits. Think they will be short on parts for a while!
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richjackson » Tue Mar 09, 2021 12:41 am

Rang Ford dealer in January about recall for overun fuse. Told me my 2016 eco blue had four other outstanding recalls and was due a service. Needed to order parts for some of recalls so couldn’t do it all until February 18th. On 9th February engine failure on road. Rang Ford dealer to ask if My recovery service could bring van to them for investigation but too busy to look at it until booked date of 18th. Recovered to my local garage who maintained my previous Transit. Diagnosis is timing belt failure with extensive damages. Only 66,000 miles rang Ford who said it was not one of my recalls, but having read your posts I am ringing them again after reading your recent posts as they obviously know of a problem with the belts.
richjackson

Postby Willber37 » Tue Mar 09, 2021 4:08 pm

richjackson wrote:Rang Ford dealer in January about recall for overun fuse. Told me my 2016 eco blue had four other outstanding recalls and was due a service. Needed to order parts for some of recalls so couldn’t do it all until February 18th. On 9th February engine failure on road. Rang Ford dealer to ask if My recovery service could bring van to them for investigation but too busy to look at it until booked date of 18th. Recovered to my local garage who maintained my previous Transit. Diagnosis is timing belt failure with extensive damages. Only 66,000 miles rang Ford who said it was not one of my recalls, but having read your posts I am ringing them again after reading your recent posts as they obviously know of a problem with the belts.

Wow, sorry to hear this mate.. So basically Ford owe you a new engine? I'd be fuming!
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mcbutler » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:01 am

You can check recall status of any vehicle via the .gov.uk website, just google 'check my car for recalls'....
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby V184 » Wed Mar 10, 2021 4:05 pm

richjackson wrote:Rang Ford dealer in January about recall for overun fuse. Told me my 2016 eco blue had four other outstanding recalls and was due a service. Needed to order parts for some of recalls so couldn’t do it all until February 18th. On 9th February engine failure on road. Rang Ford dealer to ask if My recovery service could bring van to them for investigation but too busy to look at it until booked date of 18th. Recovered to my local garage who maintained my previous Transit. Diagnosis is timing belt failure with extensive damages. Only 66,000 miles rang Ford who said it was not one of my recalls, but having read your posts I am ringing them again after reading your recent posts as they obviously know of a problem with the belts.

Isnt the belt change 150k ? or 5yrs ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby heatherillsteven » Sun Mar 14, 2021 4:10 pm

hi
I'm new to the forum but have been looking as my tourneo 2018 103000 miles 3yrs and 2 months old has just snapped the wet timing belt
was wondering if theres any advice you can give me to say to ford as i am going to be calling them tomorrow and it should be repaired at no cost as i have had it serviced at ford since new
Thanks in advance
Steven
heatherillsteven

Postby George Lamm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:27 am

Hi, is there any more news on this? I am looking at getting a used 17 plate ecoblue 65k miles
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby tt225 » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:39 am

I've got a 2017 van and when I was at Sandicliffe Nottingham a few months back having the over run fuse recall done they also told me there's a new recall to have the timing belt replaced and its around a days work but not heard anything since. They said they were going to contact me as the parts were on back order from Germany

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
tt225
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby George Lamm » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:19 pm

tt225 wrote:I've got a 2017 van and when I was at Sandicliffe Nottingham a few months back having the over run fuse recall done they also told me there's a new recall to have the timing belt replaced and its around a days work but not heard anything since. They said they were going to contact me as the parts were on back order from Germany

If its a recall what would they be changing them with, stronger belts?
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Chrisp74 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 8:19 am

George Lamm wrote:
tt225 wrote:I've got a 2017 van and when I was at Sandicliffe Nottingham a few months back having the over run fuse recall done they also told me there's a new recall to have the timing belt replaced and its around a days work but not heard anything since. They said they were going to contact me as the parts were on back order from Germany

If its a recall what would they be changing them with, stronger belts?

Maybe. One opinion is fuel getting into the engine oil from the regen process and damaging the belt. The long term fix could be software update after the belt change.
Chrisp74
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Willber37 » Mon Apr 19, 2021 9:36 am

Software update?!.. I don't like the sound of that.. What if we've had an ECU Remap on latest ECU firmware? How would it effect that?

I'll be first in line at my local dealers even though only done 21k miles, this is a monumental design flaw. The last thing anyone with a camper conversion would want is to blow the engine up when road-tripping Europe etc.

If you're thinking of buying this Mk8 especially around the 60k miles mark I'd hold off until the recall is in full swing. Risky business otherwise IMO.
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby George Lamm » Mon Apr 19, 2021 10:16 am

Thing is I've landed myself in a difficult situation. I bought a 16 plate 2.2 litre where 10 days later the ecu had a fault caused by a injector short. I can return that, but cannot find a l3 h3 other than then new ones 2.0 ecoblue.

Any chance I could just get a new belt changed straight away?
George Lamm
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits