*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Reverse camera recommendations

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Reverse camera recommendations

Postby mcbutler » Mon Feb 08, 2021 10:51 pm

I am looking for a reverse/rear view camera.
I would prefer one of the type that has the camera built into the high level rear brake light as that light is also broken, they are over £40 so might as well get one with a camera in.....
So has anyone bought one of these kits? if so what do you think, please post a link to the retail site as well.

thanks all.....
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Reverse camera recommendations

Postby Nordic Blue » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:03 am

I just fitted my Christmas present - the Wolfbox 12" rear view mirror mount screen with GPS from Amazon to my Mk6.

The mk6 (or mine at least) doesn't have the high level brake light, so I went with the camera that comes with it.

The issues were:
1. The camera is flat bottomed, so is designed to sit under a number plate ledge on a car. The problem is that the bit of the back door that the number plate lights attach to on my van is at something like a 45 deg angle so you have to use the multitude of brackets to make it sit flat which makes it look really obvious hanging down.

2. I stupidly believed the Haynes book of lies and think I've cut through the wrong wire for the reversing light. The camera works, but the unit is not sensing the van is in reverse and the reverse light only works if I'm indicating right! Further investigation required....

3. To get the camera on the outside I had to get the cable through to the back door and drill a hole through it. I ended up tying it to the top of the loom hinge as I couldn't see how to get it inside the loom.

4. The kit comes with a cigarette lighter power supply - I wanted hardwired so paid extra for the hardwired kit. It came with plug-in fuse attachments which meant I could plug it into redundant sockets on the fuse box without having to splice or cut any wires. It came with permanent and ign live wires so you can have the van record if it feels a bump when parked but I didn't want it to drain my battery so wired both to ign live for now. (Mine doesn't have a leisure battery).

5. My van didn't ever have a rear view mirror so had to buy one. They were selling for huge money until I found a copy on Amazon that didn't mention the mk6 in the list of cars but had the part number listed in the description.

The biggest pig was running the cables in but even that was fairly straightforward. The cable that came with it was more than long enough to reach from the mirror to the middle of the back door.

So far, the images from front and back cameras are really good. I did a 40 min test drive on Sunday in the rain and snow and it worked very well as a permanent rear view mirror. I think once I fix the reverse switching so it knows to put the parking grid up, it will be amazing!

In sumnary, the only slightly negative observation is that it is meant to ping and lock recordings if it detects harsh movement and thinks you have been in a smash. At the moment it is pinging every time we hit a pothole bigger than a 10p piece. I'm hoping I can change the sensitivity on that or it will drive us barmy!!
2009 Renault Trafic Sport Crew Cab

Vans I have also owned:
1982 MK 2 SWB Transit
1992 Fiat Ducato
1993 MK 4 SWB Transit
2005 MK 6 SWB T280 Transit
Nordic Blue
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby austieman » Tue Feb 09, 2021 11:11 am

I fitted one of these on my van and would recommend it.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Ford-Transit ... 2749.l2649

The hardest bit funnily enough was finding a rear view mirror on which I could mount the monitor. I suppose you could choose another variant with a square monitor but that would be up to you.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Tue Feb 09, 2021 12:44 pm

Struggling to find something for mine with it been a camper and useing internal silver screen it would mean taking the screen and mirror mount off when setting up at night was hoping to find a flat one that would fit to the sun visor.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby KevofCov » Tue Feb 09, 2021 8:52 pm

Think I read somewhere that access to the necessary wiring needed is already there in the cab within the 'A' pillars
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby workbox » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:24 pm

austieman wrote:I fitted one of these on my van and would recommend it.

The hardest bit funnily enough was finding a rear view mirror on which I could mount the monitor. I suppose you could choose another variant with a square monitor but that would be up to you.

Yes I bought the same one. Works great comes with 3m gasket but I used bit of sikaflex around for water proof.
I have to pay duty fees , all and all cost me 120 Euro bought of aliexpress.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Wed Feb 10, 2021 6:28 pm

dumper wrote:Struggling to find something for mine with it been a camper and useing internal silver screen it would mean taking the screen and mirror mount off when setting up at night was hoping to find a flat one that would fit to the sun visor.

It comes with 5m cable alternative you can connect wireless tv transmitter Direct to camera no cable needed.
Cost around 20 Euro extra.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Wed Feb 10, 2021 8:49 pm

workbox wrote:
dumper wrote:Struggling to find something for mine with it been a camper and useing internal silver screen it would mean taking the screen and mirror mount off when setting up at night was hoping to find a flat one that would fit to the sun visor.

It comes with 5m cable alternative you can connect wireless tv transmitter Direct to camera no cable needed.
Cost around 20 Euro extra.

My problem is fitting it somewhere I don’t have to remove the monitor I have a 10 m lead already installed in the van ready for when I find a suitable monitor after lockdown ends I will see if it’s possible to upgrade the radio screen to incorporate it,
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mcbutler » Thu Feb 11, 2021 10:43 am

workbox wrote:

Yes I bought the same one. Works great comes with 3m gasket but I used bit of sikaflex around for water proof.
I have to pay duty fees , all and all cost me 120 Euro bought of aliexpress.

Thanks for the link, I searched the sellers shop and he does one with a dash mounted monitor for £129 - ordered....
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Digahole78 » Thu Feb 11, 2021 7:36 pm

I fitted a cheap as chips aftermarket high level tail light camera and 5.5" display that I fitted where the rear view mirror would go. Monitor had nice ability to angle toward driver. Spliced into loom running up pillar by driver for reverse light feed. All works great and cost no more than £70 I think. Brought camera and monitor separately. Camera came with high level tail light. Only change I made was to use 3M VHB tape for monitor. Had a few vans and would recommend high level camera. Great visibility and you can park within mm of a car behind.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mcbutler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 4:47 pm

Just received mine from this seller, its cheap chinky crap, no Led's in the brake light its just a piece of tacky red plastic with a rubber band round it as a gasket!!!

Did yours have Led's in the brake light?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:19 pm

mcbutler wrote:

Just received mine from this seller, its cheap chinky crap, no Led's in the brake light its just a piece of tacky red plastic with a rubber band round it as a gasket!!!

I bought mine from China Direct on aliexpress. It comes with 5m cable and had plug at the back for stop light kind of plug and play. The picture looks identical but probably fake one.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Fri Feb 12, 2021 5:21 pm

mcbutler wrote:

Hmm I see picture now. No mine was identical to original light except for camera. And metal brackets as well.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby austieman » Fri Feb 12, 2021 7:18 pm

mcbutler wrote:Just received mine from this seller, its cheap chinky crap, no Led's in the brake light its just a piece of tacky red plastic with a rubber band round it as a gasket!!!

No, mine looked nothing like that and was basically identical to the original including clips (same as workbox said). It has an LED strip running the length of it and the gasket is good, no leaking at all so far.
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby mcbutler » Fri Feb 12, 2021 8:58 pm

austieman wrote:
mcbutler wrote:Just received mine from this seller, its cheap chinky crap, no Led's in the brake light its just a piece of tacky red plastic with a rubber band round it as a gasket!!!

No, mine looked nothing like that and was basically identical to the original including clips (same as workbox said). It has an LED strip running the length of it and the gasket is good, no leaking at all so far.

Well if their is a crap one out there i'll get it, guaranteed.
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits