*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 scuttle leak into engine bay

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Mk8 scuttle leak into engine bay

Postby 2tall » Wed Mar 24, 2021 9:18 am

mcbutler wrote:Is this parts manual available online?

catcar.info is handy for part numbers. Here’s the link to Mk8 parts
2tall
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Suggs » Tue May 18, 2021 2:37 pm

Thanks for posting this, i have just purchased a 15 plate and water is peeing all along where the scuttle joins the screen and also the end over the ECU. The other end over the air filter has the diverter fitted but not the ecu end, called my nearest Transit centre who blatantly denied any knowledge of the water leaks and said theres no diverter part even though clearly there is. I suggested he googled the problem and looked at the videos on youtube to which he answered we dont do google and youtube as its full of negative feedback lol I removed the scuttle and have used some silicone on the joint between the screen and scuttle so fingers crossed thats cured the middle leaks, and have order the part from your ebay link to sort the ecu corner out!
Suggs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Sam123 » Tue May 18, 2021 2:54 pm

Worth noting that there are two different part numbers for the right-hand side/driver's side part. As far as I can make out, most of the early vans come with the early part on the driver's side, and nothing on the passenger side. The later part on the driver's side is a little bit longer than the earlier part.

The part numbers in my first post are the latest part numbers. So its probably worth buying both of the parts (I did), and swapping your existing driver's side part (which is probably the earlier part) for the updated part.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Tue May 18, 2021 4:25 pm

Thanks for the update Sam I’d forgotten all about it so the two links above are for the latest for some reason I can now open the links strange cheers
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Sam123 » Tue May 18, 2021 4:40 pm

No worries Dumper. Yes, the part numbers in first post are the latest parts. The difference between the old driver's side part (part no. 1893438) and the new driver's side part (part no. 1927680) is quite minor, basically the new driver's side part has a slightly longer chute for discharging the water further into the wing away from the engine.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Suggs » Tue May 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Sam123 wrote:Worth noting that there are two different part numbers for the right-hand side/driver's side part. As far as I can make out, most of the early vans come with the early part on the driver's side, and nothing on the passenger side. The later part on the driver's side is a little bit longer than the earlier part.

The part numbers in my first post are the latest part numbers. So its probably worth buying both of the parts (I did), and swapping your existing driver's side part (which is probably the earlier part) for the updated part.

Thanks Sam the drivers side currently seems to work fine so it could be the later version it looks pretty new actually and has full main dealer history so might have been fitted by them at a service, I have ordered the passenger side so should be here in a few days. I took the scuttle off and siliconed sealed it which seems to have stopped the centre leak but does leave the issue of possibly trapping water in there now. Its still leaking from the passenger wiper arm even though it has the rubber gasket on it but is still dripping a little on to the edge of the alternator. Its a lovely van especially after having a MK6 for 19 years but i'm pretty disappointed with Fords for such terrible engineering
Suggs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby dumper » Tue May 18, 2021 5:55 pm

Sam123 wrote:No worries Dumper. Yes, the part numbers in first post are the latest parts. The difference between the old driver's side part (part no. 1893438) and the new driver's side part (part no. 1927680) is quite minor, basically the new driver's side part has a slightly longer chute for discharging the water further into the wing away from the engine.

Thanks
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Suggs » Tue May 18, 2021 7:54 pm

Dont suppose anyone knows the part numbers for the wiper arm rubber grommets that fit in the scuttle panel.

Thanks
Suggs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby JamesHow » Wed May 19, 2021 5:29 pm

I'd use a rubberised gutter sealant - something that is flexible and is able to be removed if you ever need to remove the scuttle to replace the screen.

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dcarey » Sat May 22, 2021 1:16 pm

Kennyh wrote:Hi all,

I appear to already have these parts installed from the factory, but they don’t work well at all!

Also water drips into the engine bay directly above the engine and pools on the transmission casing and engine block casing.

Water is getting behind the scuttle itself and drips down 2 metal plates which look like brackets for the windscreen wiper pivot arms (not the outside blade arms).

So I’m thinking of removing the scuttle and re-sealing to ensure no water drip between the windscreen and the scuttle.

Q. Has anyway removed the scuttle and sealed this area? Any tips?

I have the same problem in a brand new2021) motorhome with Ford Transit engine. I'm in talks with my dealer (drugs help) but, as an experiment, I've taped over the seal between window and scuttle with electrician's tape. It seems to have stopped the leak, pointing to the seal being the problem. Water was also coming in around the wiper arm. Dealer plugged it with butyl tape. It's better but not perfect.
Dcarey

Postby Derekmurton » Fri Dec 29, 2023 7:08 pm

Has anyone solved this problem by inserting drains into tubes etc s as Lao the plastic filled with sponge which are soaked in water can these be removed
Derekmurton
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits