*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

McGard locking wheel nuts on MK8 trend

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

McGard locking wheel nuts on MK8 trend

Postby Chausson » Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:56 pm

Hi guys do any of you have any experience of these Locking nuts? My original failed as the lugs on the key ripped off when it tried to loosen the nut - using a strong bar not gun! I did not have the key number so sent a picture to McGard Germany and they supplied me another. The new one is already starting to break up. they just do not seem capable of taking the torque required to secure the wheel to the vehicle. re there any alternatives out there? Are these Ford OEM fittings?
Chausson

Re: McGard locking wheel nuts on MK8 trend

Postby longhair » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:43 pm

I replaced my locking nuts with regular wheel nuts when my locking ones became difficult to remove with a strong bar. Using a impact wrench was fine because of the pressure you can put squarely on the lock nut. I didn't want to be stuck at the roadside not be able to get the wheel off. I know I am increasing the chance of having my wheels pinched but I'll take that chance as its probably less likely than getting a flat tyre I hope. :D
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Chausson » Wed Mar 10, 2021 8:51 pm

Longhair I am rapidly coming to the same conclusion. My motorhome has only done 6k and am frustrated that the quality, of the key, is so poor especially as it is a ford OEM item.I've found it on Ebay but mine is out of stock tells a story or what?

I would add a picture but can't do that at this time.
Chausson

Postby MinorMatt » Thu Mar 11, 2021 12:40 pm

In all honesty when was the last time you heard about someones wheels being stolen? It just doesn't happen any more! And with the right tools (which don't cost much) you can get most locking wheel nuts off in a few seconds anyway.

None of my vehicles have locking wheel nuts any more, they are just additional hassle
www.facebook.com/transitionclassics

Lucas Laser 2000 & IDS

95 M Prototype/Mule DRW 100PS Highcube
93 L GL Minibus
96 P 150 TD 100PS LWB Hi-Top

Gaffa tape is like the force, it has a light side, a dark side, and it holds the universe together
MinorMatt
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Willber37 » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:15 pm

Chausson wrote:Hi guys do any of you have any experience of these Locking nuts? My original failed as the lugs on the key ripped off when it tried to loosen the nut - using a strong bar not gun! I did not have the key number so sent a picture to McGard Germany and they supplied me another. The new one is already starting to break up. they just do not seem capable of taking the torque required to secure the wheel to the vehicle. re there any alternatives out there? Are these Ford OEM fittings?

Assume this was with the torque bar set to 200NM ? Bit disconcerting as was thinking of getting a set of McGards.
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Sat Mar 13, 2021 6:23 pm

TBH I’ve never torqued locking nuts to the recommended torque for the very reason mentioned above. I tend to do them up just tight enough and never had a problem.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Willber37 » Sun Mar 14, 2021 11:29 am

Fair point Mike, I would probably do that then with routine checking.
Willber37
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits