*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Tyre widths on dual wheels

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Tyre widths on dual wheels

Postby Muddyweb » Wed Mar 17, 2021 1:08 pm

Hi all,

First post on the forum.. hopefully it won't be too contentious!

I've got a Mk 8 minibus on stock steel wheels (dually at the back) and stock tyres. The tyres are getting a bit old, and are a bit of a mixed bag of makes, so it's time to replace them.
I'm not paritcularly looking to go any bigger, or lift the vehicle, etc., but what I do need is 'better'. In this case, that means an all-terrain tyre (BFG a/t, Cooper AT3, General AT2, etc.)

I'm happy enough with the 'tyres' part of the equation (I used to sell 4x4 tyres in a former life)... but what I'm missing is some van-specific experience. Every search / thread / conversation I've seen seems to be based mostly on speculation or opinion, rather than experience of putting actual tyres on an actual vehicle, so I'm hoping someone here has the knowledge I seek!

For the most part, the tyres I've looked at start with a 215 section (and only a small height increase). Current fitment is a 195.

So, has anyone managed to fit a decent AT tyre to a DRW van? (without resorting to aftermarket wheels or spacers, and obviously maintaining a suitable gap between the rears) If so, please share your experiences!

Thanks in advance!
--
Tim

2015 Euro 6 Transit Minibus - tall and long!
Currently transforming into a camper
Muddyweb

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits