*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Retrofit air con

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Retrofit air con

Postby Winbro77 » Sat Mar 27, 2021 7:59 pm

Evening all,

Has anyone retrofitted air con to their mk8? I've got a mk8 that I'm converting to a camper but the only thing it's missing is air con.

I'm handy with a set of spanners so can fit everything with relative ease, just need to know everything I need to buy.

I saw a kit for a mk6 or 7 on ebay removed from a van being broken. All the bits were £600 which sounds a decent price, but obviously wouldn't fit mine.

Thanks
Greg
Winbro77
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Retrofit air con

Postby mcbutler » Sat Mar 27, 2021 9:33 pm

I would envisage that being an extremely lengthy, complex and expensive process. Apart from the compressor, external heat exchanger, internal heat exchanger and all the piping you will also need a modified heater matrix housing, flaps and all the flap controls/cables.
You can check part numbers of heater matrix housing for non air con against with air con, if numbers are different you know you need a different housing unless you can get a complete matrix assembly from a breaker.
Thats before you start with the wiring, switching and any coding if its needed.
You will need to be more than 'handy with spanners'

If you go for it post a procedure breakdown I might give it a go myself..

GOOD LUCK....
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby workbox » Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:10 am

Winbro77 wrote:Evening all,

Has anyone retrofitted air con to their mk8? I've got a mk8 that I'm converting to a camper but the only thing it's missing is air con.

I'm handy with a set of spanners so can fit everything with relative ease, just need to know everything I need to buy.

I saw a kit for a mk6 or 7 on ebay removed from a van being broken. All the bits were £600 which sounds a decent price, but obviously wouldn't fit mine.

Thanks
Greg

Hi Greg not to sure about retrofit but perhaps you can get hands on Air Conditioner fitted on roof of the trucks, some companies of second hand trucks might allow you to strip that off.
Alternatively check this portable Air Conditioner, would work while you drive or park.

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
workbox
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sun Apr 04, 2021 7:41 pm

Paul2012 did an Aircon install on a mk7 iirc have a look for that thread it might give you a reasonable idea of what it entails to do, not sure if it is as simple as activating in the BCM or whether the spec you have would require a higher spec BCM/PCM to run it.

Anything is possible if you really want it, but as mentioned, would be great if you could document it if you do. Good luck with your quest

Sent from my A55ho11 using Crapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby neekor » Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:13 pm

Reader Air in Woking I have had a sprinter done and several minis they make it to fit with original switches if possible
Unit 14 Boundary Business Centre Boundary Way Woking Surrey GU21 5DH

Tel: 01483 726300

Email:
General: info@readerair.co.uk
Accounts: accounts@readerair.co.uk
Sales: sales@readerair.co.uk

Office opening hours: 09.00 to 17:00 Monday to Friday.
neekor
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits