*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Alternative single front seats for swivel set-up

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Alternative single front seats for swivel set-up

Postby Funkyjazzlover » Tue May 04, 2021 3:08 pm

Hi all,

I'm planning to add swivel seats to the front of the van and am consequently hunting for a passenger captain seat (which I realise are like hen's teeth). I have only seen them on eBay, now costing £750 + shipping after a recent price increase, which seems a little steep.

A friend with a VW T2.5 suggested looking at other seats that may fit - he has a pair of MX5 seats in his van.

Has anyone had any success going down this path, either with something like Tourneo seats or something else completely different?
Funkyjazzlover
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Alternative single front seats for swivel set-up

Postby dumper » Tue May 04, 2021 8:43 pm

Some on hear have fitted standard Galaxy front seats with swivels to mk7 s so should be possible to fit to mk8s with a bit of fabrication I was lucky mine came with a single seat .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Winbro77 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:53 pm

I've just finished installing a single passenger seat to mine, aswell as 2 swivels. I have also went down the route of fitting completely different seats as I found the transit seats terrible. Not ideal if I'm traveling to Europe etc as I'm converting mine to a camper.

I went with ford kuga half leather front seats as I got a complete interior very cheap off ebay. I will post some pics
Winbro77
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Winbro77 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:58 pm

Here are the pics
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Winbro77
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby johnporter11 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:25 pm

Was the switch difficult?
Where did you get the swivels?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Winbro77 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 pm

I do a lot of fabrication so wasn't too bad for me, but if you've not done stuff like that then it is a bit involved.

I had to trim the legs off the seats as when fitted to the kuga it is on stilts so you sit higher. Had to redrill a few holes, make a template for the hole centre's, redrill the swivel base, trim. The runners...... Just to name a few. Also had to relocate the seat belt anchor point as this bolts to the seat of the transit, so I made a bracket from heavy gauge material and moved it to 1 of the seat base mounting bolts.

Swivels are Scopema parts (the people who make RIB beds) and are very very good quality. Not cheap though. Purchased from Kiravans. They fit the mk8 and custom.
Winbro77
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Funkyjazzlover » Wed May 05, 2021 12:47 pm

Winbro77 wrote:I do a lot of fabrication so wasn't too bad for me, but if you've not done stuff like that then it is a bit involved.

I had to trim the legs off the seats as when fitted to the kuga it is on stilts so you sit higher. Had to redrill a few holes, make a template for the hole centre's, redrill the swivel base, trim. The runners...... Just to name a few. Also had to relocate the seat belt anchor point as this bolts to the seat of the transit, so I made a bracket from heavy gauge material and moved it to 1 of the seat base mounting bolts.

Swivels are Scopema parts (the people who make RIB beds) and are very very good quality. Not cheap though. Purchased from Kiravans. They fit the mk8 and custom.

That sounds a little like it's beyond my skillset. :lol: Look good though.
Funkyjazzlover
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Digahole78 » Thu May 06, 2021 7:19 pm

I recently fitted a drivers seat and base into the passenger side of my mk8 350. Very easy job and fits perfectly. Fraction of the cost of real passenger seat. Only cost me £120 delivered. Both seat and base were actually from a custom and are identical to my drivers seat and base. Some pics in the campervan thread on here.
Digahole78
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits