*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Pop top mk8

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Pop top mk8

Postby Winbro77 » Tue May 11, 2021 4:46 pm

Afternoon folks

I'm in the early stages of converting a transit mk8 L3H2 into a camper. Recently finished and sold a transit custom but it was too small. Pop tops are very common on the custom as they are very small for a camper.

I'm considering a pop top for the much bigger mk8 I have as it could basically be a upstairs bedroom, leaving the main van for cooking/living/toilet etc.

Has anyone come across a pop topped mk8? Or know of any that fit?can't find any pictures on Google. But I have seen a few of the larger vans (sprinter, crafter etc) that have had pop tops fitted, so looks to be possible on the bigger vans.

Thanks
Greg
Winbro77
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Pop top mk8

Postby thebarber » Wed May 12, 2021 5:57 pm

Mines l3h2 and plenty of room for 2 adults a dog and a bike.
I remember talking to a customer who'd spent a fortune converting a vw t5 and popping the top, saying he'd spent a fortune to sleep in an tent and how uncomfortable it was when the weather picked up.
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Sun May 16, 2021 10:16 am

With a h3 van you could have an over cab bed which lowers with either hydraulic rams -expensive or a winch / rope pulleys.
Have a look at Dreamer living vans for inspiration.

Just a thought.

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby thebarber » Mon May 17, 2021 7:59 am

I fancied doing this so I could get my motorbike in easy but went for a removable raised bed..
https://youtu.be/t6V8nzRNBfo
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Mon May 17, 2021 9:31 am

thebarber wrote:I fancied doing this so I could get my motorbike in easy but went for a removable raised bed..
https://youtu.be/t6V8nzRNBfo

Nice build I have made a removable bed using 3x2joists and 1/2 ply rests on the window frames.

Perhaps I'll build something like that next! A up and over garage door track might work fine?

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits