*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Roof Vent Installation on 2016 Ford Transit L2H3 Curved Roof

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Roof Vent Installation on 2016 Ford Transit L2H3 Curved Roof

Postby VanHaunesI » Thu May 13, 2021 2:20 pm

Hi everyone,

I am currently planning to install a MaxxAirfan Deluxe in my 2016 Ford Transit L2H3.
The best position on the roof with respect to the layout would be to the very front of the roof, where there is already a slight curve down towards the bulkhead.
From an interior point of view, the vent would just start right after the first beam when entering the vehicle towards the bulkhead.
Now I was wondering if anyone has any experience with installing a vent on a curved roof surface?

In the attached image, internal beam in blue and vent outside in red.

Thanks and best regards,
Stefan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
VanHaunesI

Re: Roof Vent Installation on 2016 Ford Transit L2H3 Curved

Postby austieman » Thu May 13, 2021 5:35 pm

Hi,

I did a MaxxAirfan install some months back on my van (L3H3), but installed it just after the first beam you have drawn in your diagram, so while I can't comment on an installation on the curved roof, I can share my observations on the install on the "flat" part.
Basically the frame of the fan will not sit flush on any part of the roof and you will have to fill the gap all the way around with either a rubber gasket or butyl tape and a load of Sikaflex. I used a fair amount on the "flat" part of the roof, I can only imagine you'll have to use a load more if you install it on the curved part. Also if the frame is twisted in any way on install you'll not get the fan into the frame, which I think is more likely to happen on the curved part of the roof because the roof curves both front to back and left to right.
Anyway, just my thoughts. Hope that helps!
Mk8 L3H3 2.0L
austieman
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby thebarber » Sat May 15, 2021 12:36 pm

Mines in the middle of the larger flat spot and still pulls the roof panel flat so I think you're gonna have problems sealing it.
The fans great btw, it draws air thru 1/2" window gaps form the front cooling the van .
thebarber
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby VanHaunesI » Mon May 24, 2021 12:39 pm

Hi thebarber and austieman,

thank you very much for your reply. I will take a close look and will keep share the results :)

Cheers,
Stefan
VanHaunesI

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits