*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Bleeding clutch but air always returns quickly!!

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Bleeding clutch but air always returns quickly!!

Postby mcbutler » Sun Sep 12, 2021 10:46 am

Ok guys,

4 days ago while driving my daughter and a friend home from a nightclub i noticed the clutch pedal felt odd, eventually it stayed down when pressed and we were stuck (8 hours for AA to get to us!!)
Fluid level was on the minimum mark so the system was inspected, no leaks anywhere, no drips from weephole in clutch housing, nothing from the back of the master sylinder in cabin either!. AA guy said that as the fluid was low and rear brake pads are very low (brakes and clutch share the same fluid reservoir) it had probably sucked a bubble of air on a steep hill or bend. So it was topped up and the clutch bled, everything seemed ok.
Last night same thing again driving girls home again, I had bought a litre of brake fluid so I checked the reservoir, still full!! then jumped underneath and we bled the clutch thoroughly.
Nice hard pedal and off we go, after about 45 clutch presses same scenario and van is immobile!
In summary, air is entering system but no fluid loss and no leaks, seems obvious that it is sucking air in somewhere but how the hell do you find that?

Anyone else got other ideas or advice??
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Bleeding clutch but air always returns quickly!!

Postby Airthies » Sun Sep 12, 2021 4:17 pm

Are you sure reservoir is full? You not looking just under the cap at the "idiot pot"?
There's a well just under cap which holds oil (but reservoir below can be empty) that some idiot thought would be a great idea when designing it

Check all your wheels and lines for fluid loss.

Sent from my Armor 8 Pro using Tapatalk
2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mcbutler » Sun Sep 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Airthies wrote:Are you sure reservoir is full? You not looking just under the cap at the "idiot pot"?
There's a well just under cap which holds oil (but reservoir below can be empty) that some idiot thought would be a great idea when designing it

Check all your wheels and lines for fluid loss.

Hi, interesting comments ref the reservoir, I filled it literally to the brim so pretty sure its full, all wheels and brake pipes have been checked as well.

The main point is that since the AA guy topping it up the problem has reoccured twice and no fluid has been lost at all!

I think swapping out the clutch master cylinder is a good first step, seems the only place where air might be drawn in as you release the pedal.
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Airthies » Sun Sep 12, 2021 7:34 pm

Are you getting a lot of air out the system when you bleed it?

2009 350T200 LWB medium roof, converted to 4x4 (the 2nd namby-pamby job)
2008 350LWB 115PS ex welfare van
2008 350LWB 115PS ex fitters van "retired" :cry:
Bikes, yes, a few bikes.
V86+patch
V86.04
X-Prog
C81
Airthies
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mcbutler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:39 pm

Airthies wrote:Are you getting a lot of air out the system when you bleed it?

Yep loads of it.
HAd AA come over today and had a chat, he suspects master cylinder sucking air as the pedal is released so got one on order for tomorrow.
As the system only has three components I will change the master cylinder first, if it does not cure it I will change the pipe and then the slave as thats a gearbox out job.

Master cylinder is £57 inc VAT and Slave is £66
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mcbutler » Mon Sep 13, 2021 10:45 pm

Can anyone tell me what the round green part which forms part of the clutch supply pipes is?

Part numbers 7A512C and 7A512A on the drawing at the link below.

http://catcar.info/ford/?lang=en&l=bWFy ... EzMw%3D%3D
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mcbutler » Mon Sep 20, 2021 9:01 am

Clutch master cylinder changed for new ford part, 5 days later fault reoccurs - no fluid leaks whatsoever - drop in fluid level at all.

Anyone out there got any idea whats going on with it??
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mcbutler » Sat Oct 02, 2021 2:02 pm

Problem is now solved slave was leaking slightly and air being drawn in, leak was so small the fluid was soaked up by dust inside the bell housing.
Job cost £1200 all in, new slave, flywheel and bolts - clutch assembly and one front suspension arm as they had to cut the other one off to get the subframe down.

Best of all, after just three miles I get another fault light for a non related item - Transits really are complete shite, my first and last Ford EVER
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby karl » Wed Oct 06, 2021 11:54 pm

mcbutler wrote:Problem is now solved slave was leaking slightly and air being drawn in, leak was so small the fluid was soaked up by dust inside the bell housing.
Job cost £1200 all in, new slave, flywheel and bolts - clutch assembly and one front suspension arm as they had to cut the other one off to get the subframe down.

Best of all, after just three miles I get another fault light for a non related item - Transits really are complete shite, my first and last Ford EVER

they must of charged a full day :lol:

even if the bolt was seized the hole job from start to finish is about 4 hours the robbing twats and i do them on the floor :lol:
karl
Tranny Lover!!!

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits