*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

'Engine Service Now' Help appreciated

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

'Engine Service Now' Help appreciated

Postby Billysven » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:07 am

Hi All,

I recently bought a 2015 2.2 RWD H3L3 43k on clock

Drives well and in good condition

This Problem only occurs after apprx 30-40 miles of continuous driving at 60-70mph

Engine service now light, ABS/Traction light and eventually limp mode and no hill start assist. Turn off and back on and problem gone,

I had diagnostic and found that glow plug fault. These were renewed but problem persists.

Diagnostic again = UO401-68 Invalid data received from ECM / PCM

Local garage perplexed. Now at Fords who say it might be turbo and to put some turbo cleaner in and run it !? I'm no expert but surely something its something more definitive.

Anyway I told them to put the cleaner in and run it if that's what they think!

Does anyone here have an opinion or thoughts where to start. As stated it only happens after a long uninterrupted run. Its fine around town etc

Thank you in advance

Bill
Billysven

Re: 'Engine Service Now' Help appreciated

Postby Sam123 » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:29 am

It's quite a reliable engine, so I wouldn't be overly worried.

The engine service now/ABS warning is just a catch-all fault response - the name doesn't mean anything.

It'll be worth getting it on some proper diagnostics rather than just a generic code reader. If I was you, I'd buy an ELM327 interface off ebay for about £20 and then download the Forscan software (free). It's really functional and fairly intuitive and easy to use. It'll probably be fine to drive in the meantime.

The turbo probably is the biggest suspect; specifically the electronic VNT actuator - the turbo itself seems mechanically quite reliable. The aim of the turbo cleaner was probably to free up sticky VNT vanes, but having taken one apart before I can't see that these magic potions sprayed in the inlet or whatever would have any chance of being effective. And in the cases I've seen it's never actually sticky VNT vanes, but a duff actuator. If that is the issue, it's not too difficult to fix. The main issue is getting hold of a replacement actuator, as the original Hella part isn't available aftermarket. I think most people go for Chinese copies, but they seem a bit hit and miss in terms of quality. I kept an eye out on ebay and managed to get a genuine new replacement eventually.

In my case, the symptoms of the turbo actuator were absolutely fine around town - only ever did it after long runs under sustained heavy load (uphill on motorway).

But before buying parts I would get it on some proper diagnostics, e.g., Forscan.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Billysven » Fri Sep 17, 2021 10:58 am

Thanks Sam

The van is at Fords atm so I would assume that they have the Forscan equipment.

I will get the scanner for my own use though, good info
Billysven

Postby dumper » Fri Sep 17, 2021 11:19 am

When the actuator went on mine it was giving codes fo low and hight boost ever 100 mls continuous driving and it would go into limp mode but it would loose the throttle completely all you got on the dash was service engine now .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby mcbutler » Wed Sep 29, 2021 1:51 pm

This code can be quite literally almost anything as it involves the canbus wiring.
Usual causes are wiring faults, after that faulty sensor reporting component failures and at the very end of the list actual module failures.
You have done the right thing in taking it to a professional although dont expect too much from ford....

Please keep us updated as I have just started getting exactly the same thing on the same van but at 100k miles....
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Christianbyron » Sun Oct 03, 2021 12:06 pm

Took me a while with same issue !! Eventually it was dpf vaporiser that was clogged up !! I've ordered a new one because its easy enough to remove with a 22 mm spanner and a slight tap with lump hammer (on spanner) but removed and cleaned old one and all the Christmas lights on dash went away
Christianbyron

Postby RECKLESS ROAD » Wed Oct 06, 2021 8:51 pm

check the rubber hose from the intercooler where it crosses the chassis, a hole in the pipe will cause these lights
RECKLESS ROAD
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits