*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Mk8 2.2 tdci intermittent blue smoke

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Mk8 2.2 tdci intermittent blue smoke

Postby daleboy » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:01 pm

Allrete..
Thought I'd post in case it may help.
I've a 2016 2.2tdci and man it smoked like a trooper,along with a little cough and a puff of smoke when cruising.
1000 miles in im thinking this things gota go. Its slow overweight. ' bit like me
So being a bit of stubborn boy I took it by the ford badge n shook it up abit..
Dpf check, "BLOCKED"
Clean dpf NICE JOB. Still chough n smoke.
Crankcase breather disconnected.
Still chough n smoke.
Turbo off stripped it down, carbon on exhaust turbine oil controll rings blued shift.
Replace turbo refit all.
No chough still a little smoke. Turbo off check all,
OK so let's blank n delete egr.
Turbo on refit all.
What a difference its a different animal..
Still a very little smoke every now and then
Again remove oil breather from inlet to turbo..
And ......

NO SMOKE NO HICKUP!!..

she pulls like a hot gym bunny in a all boys school at lights out..
Now to replace injector seals and rocker box to sort the crankcase pressure and oil separator.

So in conclusion..
Dpf blocked by oil contamination slowing the flow of exhaust gasses and eventually building back pressure forcing exhaust gasses past turbo oil controll rings into turbo oil gallery causing extra heat, causing shaft heat damage and causing oil to carbonise on the oil controll rings,
As the pressure builds the turbo drain gets overwhelmed by pressure and oil passes into the induction compressor side and forces oil into intercooler that stores oil until it gets hot enough to vaporise mix with induction charge and thus being forced into manifold to be burnt and sent out the exhaust manifold with some passing through egr and into exhaust where the dpf cathes the oil n gunk that blocks dpf and the whole process starts again!

Hope this may help somebody having trouble..
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
daleboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: Mk8 2.2 tdci intermittent blue smoke

Postby Jaser » Thu Sep 30, 2021 12:15 pm

Hi. I’m having the same problem. Mk 8 transit. I’ve replaced egr. I’ve replaced turbo. And finally thought I’d solved the problem replacing the rocker cover. But no. It still smokes. It’s weird can go hours without a puff but then it smoke for 30 seconds. And clears. Seems to mainly do it under strain or if I leave it ticking over for a while. Where is the breather from inlet to turbo. I’ve disconnected the breather from rocker to inlet pipe. But still smoking. Thanks.
Jaser
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby johnporter11 » Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:12 pm

Surely this is something Henry knows about?
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby daleboy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:41 pm

Jaser
Mine has totally cleared now, it took a few days of running to burn all the oil out of exhaust
Did you make sure the turbo oil return pipe was clean without any restrictions. And the hole in block that it goes into?
Was turbo of good quality?.
I ran mine without pipework on at idle put hand beneath turbo to see if any oil spots appeared. "See photo"
If no oil spots its got to be in exhaust,
Has yours a dpf/cat?
If they are blocked restricting exhaust gasses
Pressure builds up and forces exhaust gasses past oil controll rings into turbo gallery and thus making pressure into turbo. Forcing oil into induction .
Remove the exhaust at turbo and run it, it may solve problem
Then you will know if its blocked.
Mr ford know of problems because later mk8 have turbo fitted higher.
All I can say is I'm pleased with her now..

For the time being anyway..
daleboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby daleboy » Thu Sep 30, 2021 9:43 pm

Breather is black plastic pipe from rocker box direct to turbo..
daleboy
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Jaser » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:36 am

Oh. Have already took that off. So I’ve got new turbo. New egr. New rocker cover. What else can I do to solve this. Need mot but can’t gaurentee it’s not going to smoke. Thanks for your help.
Jaser
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:42 am

I think I’ve seen a post on here but on a mk7 that some have fitted a oil breather separator to stop this .
Just out of interest what miles have you done .
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jaser » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:53 am

Might try a re gen then. See if that clears the dpf. I suppose like you say it’s one big vicious circle if there pressure from the exhaust on the turbo. I do get the dpf message a lot. To drive to clean. And then exhaust filter cleaning. Mine is the 155 so doesn’t feel blocked and is really quick for a van. But the smoking is doing my head in now.
Jaser
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Jaser » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:55 am

dumper wrote:I think I’ve seen a post on here but on a mk7 that some have fitted a oil breather separator to stop this .
Just out of interest what miles have you done .

That’s what I’ve done fitted a breather. But it exactly the same as it was originally. So that not the problem. The oil must be getting in somewhere else. This was the thought I had and why bought new rocker as they say they loose oil through the breather. 176000 miles. Had engine checked all compressions are fine.
Jaser
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby dumper » Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:51 am

Maybe valve stem seals we used to change a lot back in the day on the cvh and pinto
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Jaser » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:22 am

dumper wrote:Maybe valve stem seals we used to change a lot back in the day on the cvh and pinto

I did think this but then it’s very intermittent can go for hours with no smoke. Then a sudden plume for about 30 seconds to a minute then nothing. Also can thrash it to the red line nothing. Then just sitting at traffic lights pull off and plumes of smoke. It’s got me baffled now I did think somewhere that a breather was intermittently pushing oil into engine but now I’ve covered most bases. Just head blown now. If I could just point to the problem I’d change it. Cost me a fortune now with turbo. Rocker cover etc and not one has made a difference.
Jaser
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Nato2002 » Tue Oct 24, 2023 3:24 am

IMG_9661.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Nato2002

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits