*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Desperate DPF help please

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Re: Desperate DPF help please

Postby carlburt78 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:18 pm

metalworker0 wrote:I've also read up a bit more on these ...there is a vaporiser - basically an electrically switched nozzle that squirts diesel into the dpf during regeneration ..this nozzle can get carbonised up inside (heat and diesel = carbon) ..with no way of unblocking it. the software cant even tell when this has happened ..just tells you dpf is blocked ..not the cause ...so your regeneration may be happening ...but with this part blocked, no fuel is getting to it, to actually carry out the task.

So worth checking first - how you actually check i don't know ..as i read that often you cant remove this device as it is tight, too tight for an open ended spanner- because of age and rust and you may have to cut the pipe leading into it in order to put a socket on it to remove it ...so to check it, often means to destroy and replace it. unless you can find ring spanner with a slot in it

so there you go, me trying to learn about this new technology - and hopefully explain how it works ..even though i don't have it on my own vehicle.

hope I'm helping people though !

A new nozzle/ vaporiser may not cure the problem as it could of been happening for a long time ..until the DPF became completely clogged and now maybe the only cure is to take the DPF off ..and doing what it says in the video above I linked to

all the best.mark
thanks Mark for this but I'm guessing my Vaporizer is working ok because whilst the van is running a forced Regen there is some major heat coming from under the van and some odd smells coming from the tailpipe indicating soot being burned off, just not enough , the van is a 2014 and I've used it for courier work for the last 12 months with a lot of short journeys, I've bought a can of cleaner that you spray into where the temp sensor goes and will give that a go later fingers crossed
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:22 pm

[quote="metalworker0"]I've also read up a bit more on these ...there is a vaporiser - basically an electrically switched nozzle that squirts diesel into the dpf during regeneration ..this nozzle can get carbonised up inside (heat and diesel = carbon) ..with no way of unblocking it. the software cant even tell when this has happened ..just tells you dpf is blocked ..not the cause ...so your regeneration may be happening ...but with this part blocked, no fuel is getting to it, to actually carry out the task.

So worth checking first - how you actually check i don't know ..

I've learned that you can check if a vaporiser is blocked by connecting the pipe from the vaporiser to a tool (not sure what it is called) and if the vaporiser holds a vacuum then it is blocked
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Wed Nov 24, 2021 12:30 pm

Archoil AR6900 D Max Advanced Diesel Fuel Synthesis https://g.co/kgs/BLQW6S

If stated using this stuff to try and keep things as clean as possible?

Seems to get good reviews or might be snake oil!!!

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dumper » Wed Nov 24, 2021 4:11 pm

carlburt78 wrote:
metalworker0 wrote:I've also read up a bit more on these ...there is a vaporiser - basically an electrically switched nozzle that squirts diesel into the dpf during regeneration ..this nozzle can get carbonised up inside (heat and diesel = carbon) ..with no way of unblocking it. the software cant even tell when this has happened ..just tells you dpf is blocked ..not the cause ...so your regeneration may be happening ...but with this part blocked, no fuel is getting to it, to actually carry out the task.

So worth checking first - how you actually check i don't know ..

I've learned that you can check if a vaporiser is blocked by connecting the pipe from the vaporiser to a tool (not sure what it is called) and if the vaporiser holds a vacuum then it is blocked

Look on YouTube it can be cleaned
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby carlburt78 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 4:56 pm

Quick update, I managed to clear codes ect took the van for a hard drive and she was driving really well , I pulled over and noticed the van had started the regen cycle on its own so jumped back in and drove it like I stole it ......until engine malfunction message and EML light on again :( anyway plugged the van in and got 2 codes
P244C = Exhaust temp too low for regen.
P2363 DPF Restriction soot accumulation bank 1

Do you think this is a vaporiser issue? If so why will the van perform a forced regen? Surely for this to happen the vaporiser must be working? Any ideas thanks Carl
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Could this be an exhaust temperature sensor? I have forscan and can look at live data but I have no idea what the reading should be , :?:
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Thu Nov 25, 2021 5:56 pm

resize live date.jpg

Here is some live data at idle of exhaust temperatures , I'm not really knowledgeable on this stuff but
EXHTEMP3 is reading 1.08 volts surely this isn't normal? And EGT14 which I guess is Exhaust Gas Temp is reading - 40 degrees, it's cold here but not that cold lol
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby JamesHow » Sat Nov 27, 2021 5:48 pm

Looks like you need a new exhaust gas sensor, no wonder it won't clean at that temp!

Cheers James
JamesHow
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 6:55 pm

JamesHow wrote:Looks like you need a new exhaust gas sensor, no wonder it won't clean at that temp!

Cheers James

How do I find out what sensor it is because there is a few ?there are 3 involved with the dpf and I have valid readings from 3 out of 4 exhaust gas temp sensors
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby carlburt78 » Sat Nov 27, 2021 7:29 pm

I'm getting so confused with all this :?
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits