*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power steering failure

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Power steering failure

Postby Sam123 » Fri Dec 10, 2021 9:46 pm

I’ve got an issue with my power steering on my 2015 Jumbo with 90k miles. Working absolutely fine, and then all of a sudden just as I was reversing onto my drive it’s failed. Symptoms are intermittent/notchy assistance - goes from no power assistance to some power assistance to full power assistance as you turn the wheel.

It’s the full hydraulic setup with engine driven pump. I’ve checked fluid level and that’s spot on, no leaks anywhere, aux belt is fine and pulley is turning fine, no funny noises from pump. Fault doesn’t disappear after driving.

Does anyone have any ideas? I’m thinking pump, but replacement pump is too expensive to just swap and pray. Has anyone seen this before? I can’t find anything relevant on search,
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Power steering failure

Postby Sam123 » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:02 pm

I’ve taken a chance and just bought a replacement pump - fingers crossed. Can anyone tell what fluid to use to top up after replacing pump. The manual specifies fluid which is green in colour, but the existing fluid is red. Any ideas?
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby blue estate » Sat Dec 11, 2021 1:17 pm

Sam123 wrote:I’ve taken a chance and just bought a replacement pump - fingers crossed. Can anyone tell what fluid to use to top up after replacing pump. The manual specifies fluid which is green in colour, but the existing fluid is red. Any ideas?

If red then ATF fluid
72plt MG 5 ev estate Battery car
blue estate
Remapped by Vantuner

Postby Sam123 » Thu Dec 16, 2021 11:20 pm

To update on this, the problem was actually the crank pulley failing. This wasn’t really evident until I’d removed the aux belt in prep for doing the power steering pump. The pulley is the inner and outer joined by rubber type, and the rubber had split so the inner could rotate freely of the outer, so I guess that whilst it was still able to turn the alternator and coolant pump the load of the PS pump was too much.
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits