*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Blown turbo?

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Blown turbo?

Postby tt225 » Mon Dec 27, 2021 6:09 pm

I've noticed for the last week or so that I could hear the turbo more than before then on Christmas Eve around 6pm having just finished working, I found the battery was flat no doubt due to having the back doors open most of the day. I tried jump leads on it but no good - although the bracket for the negative lead had snapped and was dangling around (this also has the turbo harness attached plus another gismo). I rang the AA and credit to them arrived within 20 mins and eventually got it going. I thought it best to take it for a quick run but then it went into limp mode, EML on, adblue light flashing, the message 'Adblue malfunction service required' and virtually stopped. I managed to crawl home and not looked at it until today. I bought a cheap code reader off Amazon (Motopower MP69033 £21.00) and according to that the faults are P244D, P2565 and P0299. The adblue needed topping up but had 490 odd miles left but have added 10L today and although it's still telling me there's only 490 miles left, the orange EML has gone off and the adblue light is solid. There's clouds of smoke from the exhaust and it drives like a pig! I took the hose off the front of the turbo and there does appear to be side to side movement of the wheel. I was hoping to begin with it was the turbo harness but it looks like this been replaced at some stage. Any advice more than welcome!ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Sent from my SM-G780F using Tapatalk
tt225
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Blown turbo?

Postby mcbutler » Sat Jan 01, 2022 6:46 pm

Before you jump into blaming the turbo check all of the turbo hoses for leaks.

P244D relates to regeneration of the DPF the first step is to get the regen temp sensor reset, a professional will need to do this.
P2565 relates to the catalyst in the catalytic converter or the turbocharger waste gate controller. The waste gate opens when boost exceeds that required to release pressure if its opening to early and you are getting low power and heavy smoke this might be a cause.
P0299 relates to P2565 wastegate error P0299 is generated when turbocharger output pressure is too low.

If it happens again code read the engine again BEFORE you turn it off as some faults reset when you restart the engine, you might get extra info that way.

If you do need a turbo I can direct you to a supplier of refurbished items 'Atom Car Parts'....

Good luck and keep us all updated please.
2014 Mk 8 Jumbo 350 2.2 RWD single rear wheels
mcbutler
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits