*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Replace 12N socket for 13 pin

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Replace 12N socket for 13 pin

Postby logic » Thu May 05, 2022 10:18 am

Hi folks

I've just got myself a 2017 L3 350 which has a 12N tow socket but I'd like to change this for a 13 pin socket to suit the majority of trailers I pull, I already have an adaptor but want to change it. Also I have no visual or sound indication of indicators working which not only is law but I like it for knowing my indicators actually function. I'm an electrician so the wiring/colours of the sockets isn't what I'm looking for, more in how and where it is wired on the van.

At the moment the 12N wiring goes all the way up to the front then seems to go up under the passenger seats but I cannot find where to from there, I have not yet lifted covers so hoping if there is a usual place I can get some hints on where to start. Is there an official connection point near there or am I likely to find butchered wiring?
Back near the tow bracket, right in the centre I see a grey multiplug hanging with nothing connected in, could this be an official tow socket?

Any help/pointers are appreciated. Thanks.
2017 170bhp LWB 350
logic

Re: Replace 12N socket for 13 pin

Postby Frag » Thu May 05, 2022 11:37 pm

The wiring will go to a module,usually located under the nsf step plastic cover.(or in the storage space under passenger seat/s)

The trailer tow module is on a canbus network.
If a bulb fails while trailer is connected,you should get rapid flashing of the other bulbs (indicators) or a warning message in the cluster display to alert you.

To change wiring without using an adaptor,you may be as well just buying the correct complete wiring kit and fitting the whole lot.
Be aware,the bcm may need configuring also to suit the different socket type.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby logic » Fri May 06, 2022 10:27 pm

Thanks Frag, that's great info. That's interesting about the flashing or warning on bulb failure, I've only ever known of either a buzzer or dash light in tandem with indicators. If this is the offical method then depending on what I find at the socket like encapsulation etc. then I may be aswell just replacing the socket and leaving the wire, the standard road lighting should just change to the relevant pins. At this time I don't require the caravan wiring. I will look into the correct complete kit though.

Thanks again.
2017 170bhp LWB 350
logic

Postby Frag » Sat May 07, 2022 10:20 am

All the newer stuff doesn’t have a extra buzzer or warning light,if nothings wrong when trailer is connected the dash will behave the same as no trailer.
There are some other effects tho also.
The system will cut off the fog lights on the van if turned on,to stop glare/reflection.(trailer fog will still work obvs)
If van is high spec with parking sensor or parking aid,it will disable those,ones with camera/screen it will actually show a picture of trailer on screen where rear parking aid marker would be.
Enabling Towbar alters the field of vision for parking sensors when no trailer fitted to stop them picking up the Towbar or socket.
Newer stuff also has trailer sway compensation built in the abs/esp
And vans with factory alarms,Will sense if trailer is unplugged while alarm is set and kick off.
Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits