*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

My mk8 story and possible help with pcv valve

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

My mk8 story and possible help with pcv valve

Postby Pimpinthepidge » Sun May 29, 2022 8:49 am

Hi Everyone, Iv been lurking around the forum for a while but just joined, to hopefully help others with my experiences and also get more advise. Iv had my 2017 mk8 ecoblue for new nearly 2 years. It’s been tough and draining on emotions and certainly my wallet. I needed a van and I always prefer the transit over the sprinter and the price difference made it a no brainer so found the van with 1 company owner (Ford) and 92k miles. I’m keen on serving and believe if you look after a vehicle it will look after you so, it got serviced straight away and would do every 6 months.

The van from day 1 never sounded as sweet as I thought it should have, but seemed to run fine although sometimes had a small hesitation at around 1500rpm, usually on the motorway. That was until July last year when then engine started knocking quite bad on the motorway so immediately pulled over and got the van to my local garage. They told me the good news of the cam belt had deteriorated and clogged up the oil feeds and basically the engine had run dry. Engine still ran and ticked over fine but sound awful when revved. I ordered a rebuilt engine as Ford were wanting 6k for a new engine and my trusted garage did the swap for me, but had picked up on other stuff like alternator was stiff turbo had play, so that was sent away plus many other think including clutch and flywheel.

With my wallet lighter I thought the van would be good now as it really was no expense spared. Iv carefully run the van in and it gets serviced every 6 months still, but it still doesn’t sound right to me. It’s definitely from start up and it gets better within 5 min, still has the hesitation occasionally and takes maybe 3/4 turns before it fires with lumpy idle till it warms up. It also seems to be using more oil than it should. Iv checked all wiring, changed the fuel filter, even tried fuel additives. It also sometimes fires up and it sound fine?

Yesterday I took the pcv off and cleaned and thought I’d go down that route but I don’t know much about them. There seems to be no one way flow or valve? I could blow and suck every parts with no restrictions. The diagram washer looked in good order. There is also what looks like a float that sits on top the doesn’t seems to do anything Iv added a picture of the float type thing.
Any help or more questions would be great as there is plenty more to tell lol. Thanks for your time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Pimpinthepidge

Re: My mk8 story and possible help with pcv valve

Postby Pimpinthepidge » Sun Jun 19, 2022 7:14 am

Just a quick update. The van is still using more oil than it should, I’m thinking maybe 1/2 - 3/4 litre for 1k miles.

So I checked the pipe work from the turbo as there was traces of oil, my thinking the oil could be filling the intercooler as the van doesn’t seem to smoke from the exhaust. The intercooler is clean just a could of drops came out. I then double checked the exhaust and it was clean enough to drink though.

So I’m now back to square 1. But I will keep researching and looking for the next thing I can check…
Pimpinthepidge

Postby Pimpinthepidge » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:07 pm

Latest update, im still not happy with the sound of the van. Turbo has just come back from being rebuilt and tbh still sound loud. Here’s a video from cold start this afternoon, sometimes it fire up and sounds fine then other times it sounds terrible like today.
https://youtube.com/shorts/kI8Tqlpbcjs?feature=share
Pimpinthepidge

Postby metalworker0 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 10:16 pm

Sounds like the fan is running, if its cold it should not be , A fan runs like this when the fan sensor is faulty.
i don't know where the sensor is ..follow top hose ..should be at engine end, there will probably be two sensors there ..one is for the temperature gauge , the other is for the fan.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Pimpinthepidge » Wed Feb 08, 2023 5:43 pm

Thanks for your reply Mark
Pimpinthepidge

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits