*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine service now and limp mode

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Engine service now and limp mode

Postby Looker44 » Sun Jul 03, 2022 7:02 pm

Hi, I've got a 2015 Mk8 Transit, 144k miles.

I'm getting the message engine service now pop up and van going into limp mode.

This only seems to be happening after around 20 - 30 minutes of constant speed motorway/dual carriageway driving. I drove 30miles to work, almost all motorway miles, and it came on after about 20 minutes of driving at a constant 70mph, reducing engine power going into limp mode. If I knock the ignition off and back on it runs fine again for about 5 to 10 minutes then comes back on.

It's been doing this for a week or so, yesterday I decided to drive home avoiding the motorway which is just over 30 miles and varying between 30, 40 and 50. The light didn't come on once nor did it enter limp mode.

I've had it plugged in at my mates garage, getting error codes relating to cylinder 1, 2 and 4 glow plug circuits.

The codes are:

P0671:00 / P0671:00-2F Cylinder 1 Glowplug Circuit/Open
P0672:00 / P0672:00-2F Cylinder 2 Glowplug Circuit/Open
P0674:00 / P0674:00-2F Cylinder 4 Glowplug Circuit/Open

Now my mate reckons the glow plugs want changing, that may be the case but I can't see them causing this problem.

I pulled over and had a listen to the engine when the service engine now light was on and it sounded really rough, like a bearing/pulley grinding. Turn engine off and back on and noise goes.

I've done a few searches and seems that EGR, Turbo Actuator or Turbo Veins could be a possible cause of this. It seems strange that it's throwing up glowplug codes and nothing else.

I was hoping somebody may have some more information that could help me avoid changing the glow plugs, as I don't think this is causing this issue and believe its a royal PITA to do them.

Thanks in advance.
Looker44

Re: Engine service now and limp mode

Postby andilicious » Sat Jul 09, 2022 5:17 pm

I have the exact same issue!

We had error codes relating to “turbo position low”. Decided to change the actuator first and I collected it yesterday. Give it a full service this morning and gave it a run out this morning and same thing again once it got over 70.

So will be following this thread myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
andilicious
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby steve58 » Sun Jul 10, 2022 1:31 pm

Had the same message of. Engine service now. On my van ,it turned out to be the sensor on the left side of the intercooler, changed it ,only cost a couple of pounds, problem solved hope this helps
steve58
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Looker44 » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:41 pm

Thanks for that, I've ordered one and will give it a go. For the £11 it costs its worth a shot. I'll post up once it's fitted.
Looker44

Postby Volksfish » Wed Jul 13, 2022 10:36 pm

steve58 wrote:Had the same message of. Engine service now. On my van ,it turned out to be the sensor on the left side of the intercooler, changed it ,only cost a couple of pounds, problem solved hope this helps

Hi, I’m getting the same, can you let us know which sensor it is, cheers.
Volksfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Looker44 » Thu Jul 14, 2022 8:46 pm

Its the Air Intake Temperature Sensor, Part Number - SNB1128.

This is the ebay item I bought, got a discount on it somehow, https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/234386457618.
Looker44

Postby Volksfish » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:32 am

steve58 wrote:Had the same message of. Engine service now. On my van ,it turned out to be the sensor on the left side of the intercooler, changed it ,only cost a couple of pounds, problem solved hope this helps

I have the same , could you point out which sensor it is, cheers.
Volksfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Volksfish » Fri Jul 15, 2022 9:33 am

Volksfish wrote:

I have the same , could you point out which sensor it is, cheers.

Sorry repeating myself!
Volksfish
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Looker44 » Fri Jul 15, 2022 8:21 pm

So the part arrived and was quickly fitted. Unfortunately this hasn't solved the problem so back to the drawing board!
Looker44

Postby Looker44 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 7:20 pm

So I've not been using the van much recently however went out in it today and the problem occurred again quite soon after setting off. I pulled into my mates garage and he plugged it in with the engine service now message displayed and its come back with the following fault code - P2598:00-A7.

Quick Google search shows this is potentially a turbo actuator problem.

I'll be ordering one soon as I've removed the old one (looks a PITA of a job to get at) and will update once I've fitted the new one.
Looker44

Postby johnporter11 » Mon Aug 22, 2022 10:08 pm

I've had a similar problem to Looker44 for some time. Again, it happens when on long runs on motorway conditions. When using B-roads, with changing revs and load, it seldom happens. Initially I had faulty "charge air temperature sensor" diagnosed, so replaced it. Six months ago a Ford dealer diagnosed turbo actuator problem. They spent some time 'freeing it up' (but of course it wasn't the actuator - problem is caused by sticking vanes in the turbo, preventing the actuator from working properly).
Problem was particularly bad over the weekend so I took it to a local mechanic this morning. Again, he diagnosed turbo actuator and agreed it was actually the turbo vanes. New (aftermarket) turbo/actuator being fitted tomorrow. Will keep you informed!
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Cragger81 » Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:32 am

Very interested to hear how people get on with this as I've had exactly the same issue ongoing for months. Same warning light same symptoms and the garage unable to diagnose/fix the problem despite taking the van back in to be looked at 3 or 4 times. All fault codes pointing to turbo issues but they've had the turbo out and assured me it doesn't need replacing. I've been continuing to drive the van sparingly with reduced power up until yesterday when it ground to a halt 100m from my front door. The recovery guy was adamant that I need a new turbo, in his words 'common fault with these vans' which contradicts what the garage said (the garage I'm using is fairly reputable and service the local ambulance fleet which are primarily ducatos so they should know what they're looking at with the transit).

If anyone has managed to solve this problem without shelling out for a new turbo I'd be very keen to hear about it, although I fear I may be looking at a new turbo since it's now not running at all.
Cragger81

Postby johnporter11 » Wed Aug 24, 2022 10:34 pm

New turbo fitted, received it back this afternoon. Did 20 mile trip on an A-road. Seems more flexible. Not a hot hatch, but it does weigh a little over 3500kg. Intend to put it under some pressure tomorrow, and see what happens....
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby johnporter11 » Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:52 pm

Did 200 miles today with the new turbo fitted, mixture of A-roads, B-roads, motorway. Behaved faultlessly, long may it last...
No faults showed up, no limp mode.
johnporter11
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Looker44 » Fri Jan 20, 2023 7:11 pm

Well I thought I'd give an update on this as the problem seems to be fixed now finally.

Been using this to potter around in but very rarely, I had bought myself a little astra van which has been getting me around nicely!

After finally getting chance at attempting to get to the turbo actuator to replace it, I quickly realised I was slightly out of my depth!

Got this booked in to a local garage and just got the van back today.

It's had a new turbo fitted with feed and return pipes and new sump pan as the original was getting rusty and had a very slight drip.

Can confirm the fault is no longer happening and all seems to be sweet!
Looker44

Next

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits