*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Misfire and heavy breathing

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Misfire and heavy breathing

Postby Shervells » Sun Oct 30, 2022 5:34 pm

Hello All,

I’m sure I have what must be a simple fault that has cropped up before.
I have a 2016 155ps rwd 2.2 MK8 transit tipper with 50,000 miles and serviced annually.
I suddenly lost power on a hill and started misfiring and blew a lot of oil from the top of the engine.
There a couple of fault codes relating to number 1 and 2 glow plugs.
Misfire is on number 1 injector.
Copper washers on the injectors have been changed along with the bolts and no change.
Turbo inspected and seems fine.
Oil cleaned from inside intake hoses and intercooler seems clear of oil.
The engine runs well although still missing on number 1 and blowing from the breather pipe which is currently disconnected.
Any ideas of what to check would be appreciated.
Shervells

Re: Misfire and heavy breathing

Postby Frag » Sun Oct 30, 2022 7:31 pm

That sounds like it has cracked a piston,
Given what you describe,and what you’ve done,
Compression test would be my next move.
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Shervells » Sun Oct 30, 2022 8:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes a compression test would rule out internal engine damage. At such low mileage I would have thought piston damage would be unlikely unless these have a history of it? My last transit had the same engine and was still untouched at 290k
Shervells

Postby Shervells » Wed Dec 07, 2022 10:34 pm

Just an update. Indeed my engine has cracked pistons and requires a new engine and injectors.
Just beware anyone look to buy one of these vans factor in the large bills this will involve or maybe factor in new injectors every two years. From what I’ve heard all common rail diesels are troublesome though.
Shervells

Postby Frag » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:19 am

The level of software in the PCM can be as much,if not more of an issue than the injectors (being faulty) themselves..
Injectors on the 2.2 very rarely fail.
Bad remaps may cause this,
There was also a Ford recall for some 2.2’s to help prevent this issue.
Also If you had faults with 2 glowplugs,I suspect the poor atomisation of fuel on a cold start without the glowplugs working wouldn’t help matters ….
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Shervells » Wed Dec 14, 2022 9:21 pm

Thanks for your reply. A local workshop is carrying out the replacement of the engine and injectors. They have experience with Transits. What shall I ask them to check? Are you suggesting a software update that controls the fuelling?
I’m slightly worried the same thing will happen.
The truck hasn’t had a remap and as far as I know the glowplugs worked fine as it always started immediately.
It suddenly failed while accelerating up a hill, started misfiring and lost power immediately. I had noticed a reduction in mpg and a slight pink under light load in high gears.
No recall work has ever been carried out.
Shervells

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits