*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Clutch/Gearbox/subframe nightmare

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Clutch/Gearbox/subframe nightmare

Postby loggyboy » Mon Nov 07, 2022 12:09 pm

Hi,
Short story - I cant get the subframe to drop.
Long story:
I have a Mk8 RWD which I've had clutch issues with - the pedal was getting stuck to the floor, fluid level was dropping which was traced to a leak in the slave. So gearbox needed to come out, and subframe needs to drop slightly. And this is where the fun began.
Subframe bolts were seized, so 1 broken socket, 2 broken extensions, 1/4 of a can of maintenance spray, half a can of heat torch, purchase of a 3/4 drive socket set and a rounded off bolt head later I had to angle grind the head off both bolts!
I then loosened off the other 2 subframe nuts on the forward mounting, and the subframe droped a few mm by these nuts, but the subframe wont drop from rearward mount by the bolts. It looks like its fused to the chassis! Heat, lube, levering, hammering wont get the subframe to drop. I have disconnected the gearbox mount (it moves freely), and ive have disconnected the steering column so i'm confident there is nothing holding the subframe in place. I can only think the remaining bolt shafts which are still seized on place have also seized to the wishbone/subframe tubes, but I would suspect with the levering and jacking ive done these would have popped by now.

Is there anything i'm missing?, or any tips or tricks to get the subframe to drop?
loggyboy
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Clutch/Gearbox/subframe nightmare

Postby p2thed » Mon Nov 07, 2022 7:58 pm

The rear bolts go through the wishbone arm and screw into captive nuts within the chassis legs. Sometimes the bolt shaft rusts solid into the lowerarm metal sleeve within the bush,or the threads seize into the nuts . The cative nut can also break free and spin within the chassis leg if your really unlucky.
If the bolt is seized into the arms then yiur going to have to cut the bolts out,cut the bokt head off and then through the sleeve.
If the threads are just seized you can get into the nuts through the holes on the inside of the legs and head the nuts cherry red , be careful not to melt the fuel filter on the passanger side.

The 21mm bolt seizing is really common
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits