*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Massive Whiteish / Blueish smoke & Fumes during DPF Regen

The all new 2013 Transit Mk8 Forum. Transits 2013+

Massive Whiteish / Blueish smoke & Fumes during DPF Regen

Postby Al from Lincs » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:40 am

Hi All,
I've got a 2015 Transit 350 2.2.
Recently it had a new DPF, Cat, Glowplugs, Vapouriser & all three new DPF sensors (pressure & temp). Every 150 miles or so, if I'm on a dual carriageway and have been driving for half an hour or so, I get a massive plume of mostly white smoke (with a hint of blue) coming from the exhaust. If I have the window open it absolutely stinks of what seems to be a burning smell / diesel fumes. It does this for 10-20 minutes or so.
It's been back to the garage and they changed the recently fitted vapouriser under warranty. It's still the same - massive mushroom cloud every time I go on a motorway. I've checked the dpf soot levels on my scanner and it does seem to be regenerating. Also my oil level is 127%. It doesn't smoke during local driving or at idle.
I have noticed a fault code running in the background (no EML light on) showing 'low fuel rail pressure).
Then the other day it started running really roughly with a burning smell so I pulled over and opened the bonnet - Oil everywhere all over the R/H side of the engine bay (injectors etc. were covered). There was no oil anywhere near the turbo. I had to have it recovered back to my local garage and have meanwhile bought an old Mk6 Tddi to keep me going while my other one gets fixed.
Any ideas what this could be or has anyone had similar issues?
Cheers, Al.
P.S. Although a bit rusty I actually prefer driving the old Mk6 and I reckon it will be more reliable without all that DPF crap bolted onto it!
Al from Lincs

Re: Massive Whiteish / Blueish smoke & Fumes during DPF Rege

Postby Frag » Mon Feb 06, 2023 7:25 pm

Can’t really say what the oil leak or rough running is without seeing it,
Unless your unlucky enough for it to have holed a piston,which can happen on that engine,and will blow oil all over top of engine along with a misfire…..

DPF issue,
I’ve had the same trouble,when bad original diagnosis has led someone to replace the dpf,instead of fixing the cause and re-genning the original.
They have then used a brand new,but ‘non gen’ or aftermarket dpf and the fault you describe starts to happen….,
Last one I had,I refitted the original genuine Ford one and it cured it.
Then fixed the faulty thermostat to prevent it going wrong again….
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby dumper » Mon Feb 06, 2023 9:52 pm

When my dpf wouldn’t regen it was a faulty thermostat.you say your oil level is at 127% it could be contaminated with diesel from failed regen if this is correct you need to change the oil and filter and fill to the correct level i once over filled my mk 6 by 1pt of oil and going up hill it left a cloud behind it till I drained it off.
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Al from Lincs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:42 am

Thanks for the replies. So it could be the thermostat? As in the coolant thermostat?
I went to the garage today and collected my tools etc. - they haven't started work on it yet. I'll speak to them tomorrow and mention the thermostat.
Knowing my luck I will have a holed piston. Hopefully not.
I will report back with further news when the garage have got back to me - hopefully it will help someone else in this situation.
Meanwhile the old Mk6 is running great!
Al from Lincs

Postby dumper » Tue Feb 07, 2023 7:55 am

Yes mine was the coolant thermostat
MK 8 L4 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Frag » Tue Feb 07, 2023 11:18 am

To put it more plainly,
Even if everything else is right and working correctly,
I’ve had 3 different vans doing what you describe,due to the aftermarket dpf fitted.
Something about the size,amount or quality of the honeycomb,doesn’t work as it should.

Reinstating the original Factory dpf,or replacing it with the genuine one was the only way to cure them…
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby Al from Lincs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:43 pm

How does the thermostat affect the DPF? Does it prevent the vehicle reaching a proper temperature for a regen? I will speak to the garage tomorrow and request a new ford thermostat.
The garage reckon they fitted genuine ford bits when they did the DPF job.
Thanks once again everyone for your advice - I will report back with more details once they've had a look at the van.
Al from Lincs

Postby Al from Lincs » Tue Feb 07, 2023 9:44 pm

Also has anyone removed their DPF? Does the vehicle need to be remapped? Or does it just never trip a regen due to no pressure build up?
Al from Lincs

Postby John_Mk7_2014 » Sat Feb 11, 2023 11:58 am

Your EOL at 127.5% seems situation normal for this era. A while back I troubleshooted and changed my sensor but then realised it seems to show that value across all vehicles so the sensor must only monitor such as oil quality rather than level for these vehicles.

DPF: Yes I'm also fuming at this regen stinking unburnt fuel white smoke affair. I have the same now for one year, on my 2014 mk7, have changed everything but have now been back through receipts and realised the first time the smoke started was after installing an EEC non-gen CAT/DPF. The more I read into it the more other folks similar experiences I see. This DPF is stated as type approved and that's why I went for it but seems its not up to the job. The temps look ok but not ideal (580 max) but have the dreaded smoke so need to invest in a ford one I think at some stage. If any else has experiences with this or best way to get a ford one it would really help. Good luck all. John.
John_Mk7_2014

Return to Mk8 Fourth Generation Transits