by Sam123 » Tue Sep 29, 2026 8:48 am
Thanks for replies both.
I've just done the job, and it is possible to replace the engine mounts without dropping the cross member. The passenger side one (UK RHD) is easy enough, there's just enough clearance. But the drivers side is horrible. You have to get the engine into the perfect position to just about find the clearance. Main blocker seems to be the EGR valve hitting the bulkhead, so maybe if you removed that first it'd be easier.
You'll need two trolley jacks, particularly for the drivers side. There's not enough clearance to just jack one side of the engine at a time, you need to at least partially lift the opposite side.
Also, on the new (genuine Ford made by Corteco) mounts that I bought, the locating bolt was a good 10mm+ longer than on the old mount, which was already oversized. And there's no way you'll get that back in on the drivers side. So I shortened it by probably 12mm to get it in.
tbh, if I was doing it again, I'd probably just bite the bullet and drop the cross member, but you'll need new bolts for that, and be prepared to spend a couple of hours getting the old bolts out.