*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

New custom with auto gear box

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

New custom with auto gear box

Postby trooper1999 » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:00 pm

Hi I'm looking at replacing my 63 reg Custom limited with 155PS engine with a new 170PS limited with an auto gear box, just wondering if anybody has an auto custom and if so what do they think of it.
trooper1999
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: New custom with auto gear box

Postby Dementinator » Sat Oct 20, 2018 3:14 pm

I indeed do have a new Custom 170ps ltd with the auto box, and thus far love it. (see my reply in "new van time" thread)
Its seems pretty smooth, so easy to use and much more relaxing than changing gear up and down all day.
Performance is excellent.

My only minor whinge is I usually shift to D then release hand brake and off we go, this causes the dreaded "American" bonging and a message to tell you to release parking brake, yes yes, I KNOW!!
So best to release hand brake, foot on brake and THEN shift to D and no BONG BONG BONG!!

That's the only gripe and its a small one, and probably down to me...
Dementinator
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Tendring » Sat Oct 20, 2018 8:04 pm

I had a new shape 130 Ltd ,dciv Manuel
Really nice van but you would come up to a roundabout in 2nd think you was ok put your foot down and it would stall
Needed to be in first and rev it hard,any of my other transits would be ok
Just seems to be a quirk of that engine it was so annoying my wife refused to drive it
Getting to my point I only had for 3 weeks with 800 miles on the clock a bloody great John Deere came reversing out of straw barn not looking and smashed into my poor van write off

Monday this week after a 3 month wait got new one delivered 170 Ltd auto dciv,in chrome blue,so much better it’s a real pleasure to drive and the extra hp makes quite a difference.done about 450 miles in it really chuffed with it
Had about one ton in today and still pulls well
Will not park near farm again
Tendring
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Marky M » Sun Oct 21, 2018 6:17 pm

I love the auto. NIce and smooth. Muce better then my previous van (Merc. Sprinter). Even with an mobile home (1500kg) no problems at all! Hills up and down, no problem.
Ford Transit Custom Sport 2018
* L2H1
* Chrome blue and stripes
* Customised for wheelchair accessibility/driving
* 20" Bola B20 Black polished
* K&N insert filter
* Led lights
https://fordtransit.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=65&t=189567
Marky M
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom