*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Split Tailgate for towing

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Split Tailgate for towing

Postby ajWinship » Sun Sep 22, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi
I am looking at getting a Custom for towing a caravan and/or horsebox, and I would prefer a Tailgate rather than Barn doors.
However opening a Tailgate while caravan is still hitched will not work, so I was wondering if anyone has investigated converting a Tailgate by splitting it into lower and upper sections, kind of like RangeRover split tailgate?

aj
ajWinship

Re: Split Tailgate for towing

Postby Mike » Sun Sep 22, 2019 5:45 pm

I don’t think anyone would want the inconvenience of having the tailgate in the way when they were trying to load the van. On the whole barn doors are the most convenient, which is why 90% of vans have them.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 911dude » Sun Oct 13, 2019 2:22 pm

Good afternoon,
Wanting to buy a custom mwb or swb to tow a caravan twin axle 1800kg. Could you please tell me what Bhp is the ford you tow with? No matter what the sales people say....wanted to ask someone already towing. We were thinking 170bph swb custom double cab (crew cab). We don't need the seats but have dogs plus a motorbike going in the back. TIA.
911dude

Postby MK8markie » Sun Oct 13, 2019 7:59 pm

911dude wrote:Good afternoon,
Wanting to buy a custom mwb or swb to tow a caravan twin axle 1800kg. Could you please tell me what Bhp is the ford you tow with? No matter what the sales people say....wanted to ask someone already towing. We were thinking 170bph swb custom double cab (crew cab). We don't need the seats but have dogs plus a motorbike going in the back. TIA.

Hi, I tow a twin axle coachman laser with a 170 bhp custom sport swb, it’s an excellent tow vehicle, bikes,awning, and all accessories required for the caravan are carried in the van :D
MK8markie
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom