*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2014 2.2 custom engine fault no turbo power

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2014 2.2 custom engine fault no turbo power

Postby Ben1234 » Wed Aug 05, 2020 6:26 am

Hi i have a problem with my ford custom van i drive it to work and back all week about 8 miles each way i have no problems but when i go for a longer drive say over 20 mile and when i am on the motorway engine warning comes on and a car symbol and a squiggle line under neath i have had a new egr valve ,turbo cleaned out and also a new ecu as i had it remapped and a new garage said the problem was the mapping so i had a new ecu fitted and i still have the same problem i could cry.so when this happens i just pull over and turn off and restart and i am away again with turbo power? could anyone help me in the right direction to go in as i am sick of this problem that has been going on for months now. many thanks
Ben1234

Re: 2014 2.2 custom engine fault no turbo power

Postby S60r » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:08 pm

sorry to hear of your problems...

when the fault occurs does the temperature gauge alter at all??

I just had similar symptoms to yours and only once I was told that it was the thermostat housing and sensor I started watching the gauge....

Every time my fault occurred the temperature stepped up ever so slightly....a new thermostat and its 100% again.

Worth a try as its not an expensive part..... but yours does sound like a DPF issue... what mileage are you at?
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby p2thed » Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:18 pm

Have you had the fault codes read?
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby hitech-donk » Wed Aug 05, 2020 11:05 pm

Isn't the thermostat issue with the newer 2.0 panther engines?
hitech-donk
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Ben1234 » Thu Aug 06, 2020 7:09 am

temperature is normal.when we had taken it back to the garage in limp mode they plugged in and it comes up with
abs wheel anti lock system
diesel injection 2.2 engine management euro 5
p2598 turbo boost control position sensor A signal stuck low
so i have the turbo cleaned out and its happens once now so i have taken it to a ford dealer and they had put it on the machine they couldn't make it happen for them but they turning towards turbo boost sensor or a new turbo :( .so i am just going to see how i get on with it at the moment as a turbo could be pricey unless i find a second hand one
Ben1234

Postby S60r » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:08 am

It really sounds like a sensor issue to me...

Vastly different systems reporting unrelated errors, so I would be checking for waster ingress into the ecu, the ecu plug and the bcm.

When it rains water literally pours onto the ecu and while the ecu is usually ok (unless it’s been opened) the plugs and contacts are very prone to water ingress and corroding.

The bcm is also prone to getting water in it from leaking screen or through the roof bar mounts not being sealed. Water can run down and cause havoc with fault reporting.

If it were mine, I’d take the negative off the battery and leave it off for hours whilst inspecting the modules, (hopefully you find some water or evidence of past water) clean everything with electrical contact cleaner or wd40 or similar and see if anything changes.

I have read lots on here about ford throwing part after part at vans only to find the new part reports the same fault as there was water somewhere....

Worth a try - as other than time - it’s a no cost option and it may be the issue?

Good luck with it.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Ben1234 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 6:33 am

S60r sounds like a good plan to me i will try it out this weekend and take for a longer drive and see if there is any difference .thanks again i will let you know how i get on
Ben1234

Postby p2thed » Fri Aug 07, 2020 11:31 am

Sounds like a turbo electrical failure, does the turbo accuator have free play. Does it move up and down freely within 30sec if vehicle being started when it runs a self test. Traction control light would come on with a turbo issue because the pcm has no way if calculating torque if it does not know turbo position p2598 and will turn the system off and bring the light in dash.
p2thed
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Sam123 » Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:28 pm

More than likely the turbo actuator at fault. I had the exact same sypmtoms and fault code recently, and my problem was sorted by replacing turbo actuator. Almost certainly won't be the turbo mechanicals at fault if it drives OK when limp-home mode is not there.

But Ford do not sell the actuator separately, and seem to have successfully prevented Hella the OE manufacturer from selling replacement actuators too. So the usual approach is to use an aftermarket part. Many garages therefore will just replace the turbo complete with a third-party refurbished part. An aftermarket actuator itself only costs approx £70.

You will need to remove the turbo to replace the actuator, which is a bit of a faff, and requires a few new gaskets, but it's not difficult.

While you have the turbo off, it's a good idea to clean the exhaust turbine side, although probably not completely necessary. You'll find plenty of Youtube videos showing someone easily taking the turbo housing apart with the slightest tap of a hammer and putting the turbo housing back together with no problems at all - but they are all lieing. I tried and gave up. The easiest thing to do is probably to squirt Mr Muscle foaming oven cleaner in the exhaust turbine side, leave for 10 mins, work the VNT actuator lever for five mins, and then rinse out.

A garage saying that they have "cleaned the turbo out" could mean almost anything - but i'll bet there is a good chance they just sprayed a bit of carb cleaner in the intake, or did nothing at all. It isn't really possible to clean the turbo without removing it.

The abs fault code will probably be a phantom fault that will disappear when you sort the turbo - it did for me!
Sam123
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Ben1234 » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:40 am

This is where i am at with my van.After locale garage removed .he turbo and cleaned it for me straight after i taken it for a tested drive and the limp turbo problem poped up again so i got it booked into a main ford dealer i drove it there 30mins away really hammed it and could not make the go into limp mode which is most annoying ford main dealer said without the fault showing up on the dash they found it difficult to give a reasonable diagnostic to me the did find some fault and cleared them and told me the next step would be throwing a turbo at it which they said was about £800 so on that note i said thanks for trying i will see how i get on with the van and would you be-leave it the van has been fine i have done a few journeys now well over hour and its not misted beat so maybe the clean out of the turbo did something after all .
Ben1234

Return to Transit Custom