Transitmania 12 @Santa Pod 15th to 17th May 2020

Temp Gauge Fluctuates and other issues

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Temp Gauge Fluctuates and other issues

Postby Kellym » Thu Jan 07, 2021 4:31 pm

Hi all. I have a 15 reg transit custom with 47k on the clock.I do a lot of stop start driving as a dog walker but usually leave engine running at short stops. I have the following issues
1. Temp gauge fluctuates, mostly sits at 60 (cold) but sometimes rises to mid and then goes down again. Sometimes, the more aggressive I drive the more it heats. Yes, it is cold but Im driving for 40mins plus and still happening whereas my sisters van doesn't do this and temp gauge acts normally.
2. Lukewarm heating
3. Intermittently, Always when gauge is at cold, I get warning that hill assist is not available and the engine fan seems to kick in at a high speed (it's rather loud). Switch engine off and on and its back to normal.
4. My fuel consumption seems to have gone up. from around the 30smpg to 26mpg today. Driving routine has not changed.

Repair 1: engine mgt light came on and had the dpf cleaned. Fault with gauge still there.

Repair visit 2: thermostat changed, oil and coolant changed. Fault with gauge seems ever so slightly better but still present

Repair visit 3: booked in but what is the issue????
Kellym

Re: Temp Gauge Fluctuates and other issues

Postby Frag » Thu Jan 07, 2021 9:12 pm

Everything about those symptoms suggests the thermostat being faulty,which is quite common.

So,either the thermostat hasn’t been changed,is faulty,or the coolant temp sensor itself is faulty.

Strangely,from Ford,the thermostat alone,
costs more than the thermostat and its complete housing,which also includes the temp sensor....
Frag
Ford Technician

Postby APW » Fri Jan 08, 2021 3:20 pm

Change the thermostat AND housing... the temperature sensor is failing and its part of the housing.
APW
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Kellym » Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:11 pm

So, it turns out that the thermostat was fine (who knows if the origibal one was maybe ok also) but the coolant needs to be bled while the vehicle is plugged into the diagnostic computer. Hey presto, I have heat and my temp gauge is acting normal.

This issue started when I had my MOT and service back in Nov and there is a part of me which thinks they caused this when they changed my coolant but I suppose I'll never be able to prove that.
Kellym

Postby Jay2018 » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:00 pm

Glad you sorted it now! Welcome to the forum!
2012 MK7 Transit Trend 125 T350 6 SPD FWD MWB MR (Frozen White) :D
2010 MK7 Transit Jumbo 100 - SOLD :(
Galant VR4 8th Gen Type S(TT), 300ZX(TT) + S14A(T), Supra MK3(T), Golf MK4 1.8(T), GS300 & Civic EG9 VTI (ALL SOLD)
Jay2018
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Frag » Wed Jan 13, 2021 11:48 pm

Kellym wrote:the coolant needs to be bled while the vehicle is plugged into the diagnostic computer. Hey presto, I have heat and my temp gauge is acting normal.

Yes it needs bleeding,NO tools diagnostic or otherwise required...... :shock:

This issue started when I had my MOT and service back in Nov and there is a part of me which thinks they caused this when they changed my coolant but I suppose I'll never be able to prove that.

This ^ :wink:

Frag
Ford Technician

Return to Transit Custom