*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Engine catastrophic failure!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Engine catastrophic failure!

Postby Mrcjstone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 6:16 pm

Mike wrote:‘Fit for purpose’ won’t cut it imo, there are thousands of Customs running around without the problem that yours suffered, so they’re obviously fit for purpose. As for the question of the various Ford dealers changing the oil, it’s extremely unlikely that they wouldn’t change the oil. I haven’t used a Ford dealer to service my last couple of Transits, not because I don’t think they’ll change the oil, but because my local one Perrys Aylesbury are a shower of sh*t. So I don’t think you’ll get that.

What they’ll deduce from what you posted here (yes they do read this forum) is that you didn’t check the oil level between the last service and when it went bang. Remember that you’ve posted info here with your name, home address, and company name :wink:

So I stick with my suggestion that you should go for a goodwill claim.

Oil level was checked between service and after it went bang and was fine.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:20 pm

Mrcjstone wrote:
Mike wrote:‘Fit for purpose’ won’t cut it imo, there are thousands of Customs running around without the problem that yours suffered, so they’re obviously fit for purpose. As for the question of the various Ford dealers changing the oil, it’s extremely unlikely that they wouldn’t change the oil. I haven’t used a Ford dealer to service my last couple of Transits, not because I don’t think they’ll change the oil, but because my local one Perrys Aylesbury are a shower of sh*t. So I don’t think you’ll get that.

What they’ll deduce from what you posted here (yes they do read this forum) is that you didn’t check the oil level between the last service and when it went bang. Remember that you’ve posted info here with your name, home address, and company name :wink:

i would get the engine independently inspected & invoice smc
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Mike » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:31 pm

V184 wrote:

Don't be ridiculous, SMC will tell I him to FO. Getting an independent inspection is fine, but don't expect anyone other than Ford to pay, and it's extremely unlikely that they will.

Ignoring the fact that the op is only now mentioning that he checked the oil before and after the blowup, I still think he may have a case, but only as goodwill. All this legal BS and mental health stuff (f*** snowflake whoever mentioned that) is wasting time and money imo.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mrcjstone » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:48 pm

V184 wrote:
Mrcjstone wrote:

quote]

Problem is have already racked up £500 recovery costs and so far the garage and ford customer support have been very good and feel it is in the best place at the moment to get resolved. It has had a big impact on my business as I am without a lot of my tools and materials so limited to what I can do and take on. With the additional financial stress of hire vans was really feeling down about it last week but am a bit more optimistic about it now. Fingers crossed Ford come through.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mrcjstone » Fri Apr 23, 2021 12:05 am

viewtopic.php?f=64&t=204983

This recall should have been done and is dangerous. It clearly says failure of the belt results in loss of breaking not just power assisted breaking but complete breaking as I experienced. It’s clearly a known fault and can’t believe something so potentially dangerous has not had a recall.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:23 am

I’d be interested to know why the breaking (sic) system completely failed because of an engine problem. Anyone?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Chris21r » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:28 am

My guess would be loss of vacuum due to engine not spinning the pump?

The brakes would be functional from an hydraulic point but would be harder to push the pedal.

Same with the steering.
Chris21r
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:38 am

Chris21r wrote:My guess would be loss of vacuum due to engine not spinning the pump?

The brakes would be functional from an hydraulic point but would be harder to push the pedal.

Same with the steering.

That’s not what’s being claimed here, he’s claiming “complete” brake failure, which I dispute.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby Mrcjstone » Fri Apr 23, 2021 9:24 am

Well just got off phone to Ford and they are going to completely replace engine under warranty. I have to say they have been brilliant and yes it’s has caused me a lot of grief but has actually made my day and restored faith in company.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:43 pm

Brilliant, great result.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby ned » Fri Apr 23, 2021 4:09 pm

Great result, from fords point of view it’s probably cheaper to replace your engine then get bad press and loss of sales, that’s my theory anyway.
RUST IS LIGHTER THEN CARBON FIBRE

57 transit 85t260 2.2 swb, moondust silver.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=209987

03 transit 125t280 2.0 tdci swb 229,000 miles.
viewtopic.php?f=27&t=168296
ned
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Mrcjstone » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:20 pm

Mike wrote:Brilliant, great result.

Over the moon Mike and they have been great at communicating and been very efficient. As you can imagine it’s a huge weight of my shoulders. They have said there is a bit of a backlog on engines coming from Germany so may still be a while but can survive a few more weeks with hire van.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mrcjstone » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:23 pm

Mike wrote:
Chris21r wrote:My guess would be loss of vacuum due to engine not spinning the pump?

Same with the steering.

That’s not what’s being claimed here, he’s claiming “complete” brake failure, which I dispute.

The pedal was completely stiff so used my hand break to come to a stop.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby woodbutcherbower » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:11 pm

Great news, really chuffed for you. When you get your new engine, change the oil and filter every 6-10k miles.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mrcjstone » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:21 pm

woodbutcherbower wrote:Great news, really chuffed for you. When you get your new engine, change the oil and filter every 6-10k miles.

Thanks! Will definitely be much more diligent when it comes to the services. Have learnt a lot on this forum.
Mrcjstone
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom