*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Hoping to join the custom ownership world

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Hoping to join the custom ownership world

Postby sparkie1984 » Thu May 06, 2021 8:53 am

Be warned the updates are 28gb!!

So may be it needs a long time? Can you leave it on in range of your wifi at all? You should be able to run newer than 3.0 also.

Failing that unless someone you know has a laptop you may be stuffed
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Thu May 06, 2021 8:59 am

28gb?! Surely that’s only if you’re updating the maps as well? I haven’t got the inbuilt sat nav so it’ll hopefully be significantly smaller. I contacted Ford quite a while ago and they said they were aware of WiFi updating issues. I think you’re right, definitely going to make sense to borrow a laptop and give it a go.
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 am

Well as I understand it I haven’t done a map update yet because Ford won’t let you until they know your software is up to date first. So I don’t think it’s a maps update. But may be wrong.
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Thu May 06, 2021 9:11 am

In which case - I’m definitely going to need a laptop and pen drive :D
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby northwaleshaz » Mon May 10, 2021 1:15 pm

Borrowed a laptop and pen drive over the weekend and got Sync updated. Now, whenever I turn the van off, the alarm settings are displayed on the dash. Absolutely no idea why. Load area lights don’t seem to stay on for as long either. Surely the sync update shouldn’t case this should it?!
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Mon May 10, 2021 2:03 pm

How bizarre! Mine does ask me on the screen but I updated it on the way home from buying it so I don’t know if it did or not.

I can’t see a Sync update changing any core features though.
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Mon May 10, 2021 5:11 pm

So yours asks you about full or partial alarm on the dash every time you turn the van off?
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Mon May 10, 2021 5:54 pm

Yeah it does, so did the 69 plate one I had for a while last year . I just assumed it came in with the facelift.

My unit has got confused now. Sometimes when I turn it on it says “installation in progress do not remove the USB drive” even though there’s not one in it. And when I do put one in it it comes up with an error.
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Mon May 10, 2021 6:05 pm

I had a 70 plate trend with 6k miles on the clock last week while mine was in for service at the dealer and that one didn’t do it. Wish I’d left the bloody thing alone now, very glad I didn’t update it to version 3.4 - isn’t technology wonderful!? :roll:

That’s super annoying about your error. Have you tried putting the update onto a USB and seeing if that does anything?
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Mon May 10, 2021 6:07 pm

Yep, it just errors out. I think it’s stuck in a weird thinking it’s updating loop. It does work ok for now though message aside so I’m not too fussed.

How weird about the message! I like it though personally nice and easy way to choose
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Mon May 10, 2021 10:39 pm

I’ve found how to turn it off, just in case you ever decide you want to. In the vehicle settings you access using the steering wheel controls you can cycle to alarm settings. Then if you push down twice, there is a check box which says something like ‘ask on exit’ if you uncheck that, the message no longer shows when the van is turned off.
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Tue May 11, 2021 8:00 am

Weirdly, I was just about to tell you the same thing!! Noticed it earlier when playing about.

One thing I’ve noticed is the 69 plate I drove had an “oil life” option in the maintenance menu.. my one doesn’t. So it appears they do change bits between the years
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Wed May 12, 2021 10:43 pm

sparkie1984 wrote:Weirdly, I was just about to tell you the same thing!! Noticed it earlier when playing about.

One thing I’ve noticed is the 69 plate I drove had an “oil life” option in the maintenance menu.. my one doesn’t. So it appears they do change bits between the years

Mine also has an oil life option. If you press on it, it instructs you to hold the button to reset the oil life timer.

The ‘70’ plate I drove had a lot more options than mine, adblue range and count down. Oil life range and days remaining until it’s due a change etc. I guess we’d have some more options if we had a software update done.
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby sparkie1984 » Thu May 13, 2021 7:49 am

So bizarre isn’t it!!

On another note someone from the Sync team come back to me and they’ve resolved the issue with the website thinking I still have an update. Went on there last night and was able to update the maps finally! Have started the install today….

I have been quite impressed since contacting them on Twitter they put me in touch with the sync team who actually have been useful…:

Would be nice to see things like Adblue range etc though! I thought the recall they did a few years back was supposed to add that option.
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby northwaleshaz » Thu May 20, 2021 9:36 pm

Are your sync issues resolved now you’ve managed to get the update sorted?
northwaleshaz
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Previous

Return to Transit Custom