*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Barn Door Threshold Cover

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Barn Door Threshold Cover

Postby 16footgoose » Thu May 06, 2021 11:54 am

Hi all,

Picked up my Transit Custom last week (2019 facelift SWB with barn doors) and have removed the plastic liner in the back. I'm going to put a ply flooring in and want to get a cover to go between the barn doors and the ply lining, but I can't seem to find them. On VW vans they used to be called "threshold covers" but that doesn't seem to bring much up for the Transit. I've found the part number 1836375 online, and eBay shows the part I want (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273421507376), but it says it's for the 2012-2018 model only. As I've only had my van a week or so I am not clued up on the differences between the 2012-2018 and 2018+ models (seems to just be a different front end shape?), so not sure if it would fit? My other option is to visit the Ford garage and ask them but I don't reckon that would be cheap!

2019 Transit Custom 2.0 EcoBlue SWB DIY camper
Instagram build: https://www.instagram.com/16footgoose
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: Barn Door Threshold Cover

Postby Altransit » Thu May 06, 2021 11:57 am

The seller of that item on Ebay is Rates Ford, who are a big Ford dealer, so it could be worth asking them :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby 16footgoose » Thu May 06, 2021 12:21 pm

Altransit wrote:The seller of that item on Ebay is Rates Ford, who are a big Ford dealer, so it could be worth asking them :idea:

Oh I didn't realise that, although the name does give it away doesn't it :oops: I will send them a message and ask, thanks!
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Thu May 06, 2021 12:24 pm

16footgoose wrote:
Altransit wrote:The seller of that item on Ebay is Rates Ford, who are a big Ford dealer, so it could be worth asking them :idea:

Oh I didn't realise that, although the name does give it away doesn't it :oops: I will send them a message and ask, thanks!

I'm not confident that the guy in charge of ebay sales will know (gone are the days of knowledgeable storemen) but he may know someone who does, or (horror of horrors) he could take one out to a van and look :lol:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby Russ66023 » Sat May 08, 2021 8:54 am

Does anyone know if this will fit with the factory load liner? Thanks
Russ66023

Postby 16footgoose » Tue May 11, 2021 7:24 pm

So I eventually heard back from the ebay seller, and they've told me it doesn't fit the later shape. So after work today I went to my nearby Ford garage that does transits and commercial vehicles, and the guy down there is adamant that Ford do not make a cover for the rear of the van, and that it's always just bare painted metal on every Custom they sell. I find it a bit odd as that bit of trim really finishes off the back of the van. Now I think my option is to put ply on the floor as far back as it can go, then finish the edge with some aluminium profile and carpet the metalwork underneath.
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Tue May 11, 2021 11:48 pm

I wonder what they've changed on the post 2018 vans that means that it won't fit :? It's very unusual to change anything about the rear end of a van on a facelift, apart from maybe the lights, it's usually the front end that gets the attention :roll:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby 16footgoose » Wed May 12, 2021 9:59 am

Yeah I have no idea either, I don't know what is different between the two versions so I'm being really cautious with everything that I buy (windows, roof bars etc). I've been looking on sites selling the facelift Transit Customs and there are a lot that come with the covers I'm after. Amusingly the same Ford garage I went to yesterday actually has at least two for sale with them installed! The guy did tell me that it might be part of the kit that their ply lining company install, but I've not been able to find it on any ply lining suppliers sites

Maybe I'll put on a pair of those sunglasses with the fake nose and moustache so that they don't recognise me, and then I can take one for a test drive and then pop the cover off to see if there's a part number underneath it :lol:

Van1.JPG

Van2.JPG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby 16footgoose » Wed May 12, 2021 10:41 am

Ok so I've done a bit more digging, and I think the cover I originally linked to in my OP has a notch cut out on the left-hand side, and I've seen photos of vans with some sort of metalwork in the rear corner that the notch would go around (although typically I can't find any photos of that now). So that one definitely won't fit my van.

I noticed that the only vans I've seen with the cover are all the DCIV models which don't have the massive load liner installed. I wondered if because my van is listed as a regular panel van with the load liner, the lower door cover isn't on the parts list for that van. If I look on the catcar website and find the diagrams for the DCIV model, then a different cover part number is listed (1779180). These are for sale on ebay (https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124691091474) and actually look like they might fit, and I can't imagine that it would fit a DCIV but not a panel van. They're still listed as compatible for 2012-2018 but I might take a punt and cross my fingers that it fits.

I will report back when it arrives, just in case it helps someone else who searches for this in the future.

Edit: missing words
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Altransit » Wed May 12, 2021 12:20 pm

16footgoose wrote:I will report back when it arrives, just in case it helps someone else who searches for this in the future.

This is the kind of investigative journalism that we need on here. Too many questions and not enough answers :roll: :lol:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby bambi mk 1 » Wed May 12, 2021 2:07 pm

Altransit wrote:
16footgoose wrote:I will report back when it arrives, just in case it helps someone else who searches for this in the future.

This is the kind of investigative journalism that we need on here. Too many questions and not enough answers :roll: :lol:

Could do with a page 3 also when you are at it Al :mrgreen:
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Altransit » Wed May 12, 2021 7:11 pm

bambi mk 1 wrote: Could do with a page 3 also when you are at it Al :mrgreen:

Is that still allowed in the current millenium :shock: :?

I thought the PC snowflake brigade had banned all that now :mrgreen: :lol:
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby 16footgoose » Sat May 15, 2021 9:01 am

Altransit wrote:

Haha, it's just because 80% of threads I see on various forums on the internet are from people that ask a question, and then never bother to post an update when they've solved a problem. Hopefully if someone searches for this in the future then they will have all the answers they need :D
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby 16footgoose » Sat May 15, 2021 9:13 am

OK, another update...

The part arrived and it does fit, perfectly. There are a couple of plastic lugs that position the cover through two larger holes in the bottom of the floor. In my panel van these have glued and painted plugs in place because the holes are not used, but they're simple enough to stab at and remove with a flat screwdriver.

The main issue is that there are four or five mounting holes in the cover, through which bolts pass and fasten to nuts underneath the metalwork or the floor plate. On DCIV vans there are nuts on the underside of the steel floor for bolts to pass into, but my van just has plain oval-shaped holes with no nuts. I spent some time trying to access the underside of the floor but that section is sealed off and welded up so there are no ways in that I can see. There are some plug holes under the van that you can remove and pass up a bolt on a long socket extension, but that only works for 2 or 3 of them. Next thought was to use rivnuts but the holes are oval-shaped so I don't think that would work.

My plan is to take some M6 hex bolts and grind two opposing points off the head so that I have a T-shaped bolt. Then I can pass this through the oval-shaped hole and twist it 90 degrees so that the head holds on the underside of the metal, then put the cover on and secure it with M6 nuts.

It sounds like a lot of work for a cover but it does look a million times better with it in place so I think it's going to be well worth the effort.
16footgoose
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby OzTransit » Thu May 27, 2021 3:44 am

You may have already solved the issue, but those oval holes are not supposed to have captive nuts. Instead a plastic insert plugs into them and the sill cover is screwed on with 5 screws, then little black caps cover the screw locations.
OzTransit

Next

Return to Transit Custom