*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom PHEV anyone?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Custom PHEV anyone?

Postby JamesSmith » Thu Mar 04, 2021 4:43 pm

Hi everyone,

If you have any questions our team at Fordthorne Transit Centre in Cardiff are happy to answer any questions you may have on the Ford Transit Custom PHEV.
We can see from the other messages there are some queries about plug-in capabilities and charge length and our Ford trained team can answer these.

https://www.fordthornetransit.co.uk/transit/ford-transit-custom-phev/
JamesSmith

Re: Phev actual range

Postby richbee » Fri Mar 05, 2021 1:05 pm

Ampup wrote:Hi,

Had the PHEV 3 weeks now, but best range showing (and actual driving) after full charge is on.y 18 miles not the 30-35 Ford quoted.

Interested to know what range other PHEV owners are getting

What do you get mpg wise from the petrol engine + hybrid motor? Do you do most miles using the petrol to charge the battery, or do you not do many miles, so the plug in hybrid bit works?
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: Phev actual range

Postby Flatfish » Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:18 pm

richbee wrote:
Ampup wrote:Hi,

Had the PHEV 3 weeks now, but best range showing (and actual driving) after full charge is on.y 18 miles not the 30-35 Ford quoted.

Interested to know what range other PHEV owners are getting

What do you get mpg wise from the petrol engine + hybrid motor? Do you do most miles using the petrol to charge the battery, or do you not do many miles, so the plug in hybrid bit works?

It's not a hybrid like you imagine. It's basically an electric vehicle. Apart from if the battery gets low ( which it will with a range from 20-30 miles) the 1 litre petrol ecoboost generator kicks in, supplying electric to the motor. The generator is not attached in any way to the transmission. Basically, its to avoid the tolls in central London etc. It is no use to most van drivers, as all you end up with is a petrol van, with a large premium attached.
Flatfish
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby 2xPHEVs » Tue Nov 23, 2021 9:30 am

Hello all,

I actually have 2x PHEV vans, the 1st since Nov 2020 and the 2nd since May 2021.

When we 1st got delivery our range was only 18miles and getting about 14 actual

Along with other issues we had the Chief engineer for UK PHEVs to do a major update, we gained no extra miles (a lot more issues occurred requiring several visits back to ford)

We were told by ford several lies about the van knows the driving habits before we even turn the key, then something about weights etc so I asked where is this weight sensor that knows how full the van is and what is the part code, this immediately got ford to back track their answers.

We were told precondition was coming soon and will assist with the range.

Anyway weather turns nice and we start seeing ranges of 28miles which is much closer to the estimate by ford and van issues seemed to be slowly going away so we ordered van 2.

Van arrived with same issues, but driving both vans for a year I’ve noticed
# Always use L (when battery full hardly no breaking, when down to ¾ regeneration breaking more as you expect
# 35miles could be achieved if van empty and you drive no faster than 30mph
# I live above 15miles from my more regular destination ,which requires about 6miles of 50mph driving. When driving to work I barely arrive with any range, but on way home we arrive home with approx 1/4tank left, so it seems starting a journey on slow roads provides better range
# so I’ve started using EV only for roads upto 50mph and EV later for 50mph and over, would have hoped auto mode would have done something like this.

Anyway, 2nd winter coming, range has seriously dropped, so I chased ford for the precondition feature as it now states on ford’s website to use precondition (so you use the mains cable to heat the cabin and warm the batteries so you start the journey with full batteries and the van in its best state)
To find out its still not available but did find something similar on app, so I searched more and found people do have this and it seems you need sync 3, so I checked what I have which is sync 2.5 for both vans, my local dealer is saying its impossible to upgrade from sync 2.5 to sync 3 and I would likely have to buy new vans.

When I searched my order history I did in fact order sync3 (and actually I could not even find any option for anything other than sync 3 as an option) I have complained to my supplier and he has confirmed he ordered sync 3 and is now doing a miss build claim.
I asked a friend of mine to check his PHEV and he has a newer van than me and also has sync2.5 also.
I then get a response from Ford app team saying this feature isn’t available yet and some vans might not get this feature
So it looks like ford are happy to advertise features that aren’t available and maybe never be available, this is the 2nd option ford have “forgotten” to install (they told me we had geolocation and that the unit can’t be seen (so I sent photos to ford of how this geolocation looks and then they confirmed we didn’t have and i would have to pay for it)) I sent links from websites (including ford marketing) that mentioned this geolocation was a standard feature for all PHEVs and a copy of the manual that also mentioned standard and they finally replaced
To get the best range we need ford to release precondition for all PHEV vans ASAP.

It seems ford are purposely misbuilding vans and lying to us all, I strongly recommend everyone checks what sync you are running and then check what you should have and maybe respond on here to get a list of who and who doesn’t have sync 3 and who has precondition etc
These van are barely usable in the summer, not going to keep these vans if I have to go through another winter without precondit
2xPHEVs

Postby conrod » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:09 pm

2xPHEVs wrote:Hello all,

I actually have 2x PHEV vans, the 1st since Nov 2020 and the 2nd since May 2021.

When we 1st got delivery our range was only 18miles and getting about 14 actual ....................
............................It seems ford are purposely misbuilding vans and lying to us all, I strongly recommend everyone checks what sync you are running and then check what you should have and maybe respond on here to get a list of who and who doesn’t have sync 3 and who has precondition etc
These van are barely usable in the summer, not going to keep these vans if I have to go through another winter without precondit

Thanks so much for taking the time to tell us about your experiences. I see a Ford dealer has posted earlier this year on this thread asking us to direct questions at him, but I am more inclined to listen to someone who has thrown down their hard-earned and actually bought not one, but TWO vans, rather than someone who is trying to sell me one, as I think the narrative will be somewhat different! ;) The winter range is absolute crap, making them somewhat useless as an electric vehicle in winter. Sounds like they were sent to market before being fully sorted, which is not that unusual for a new design, and the first to line up and and purchase them become the guinea pigs :( ............
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:24 pm

2xPHEVs wrote: 35miles could be achieved if van empty and you drive no faster than 30mph

Do you expect a manufacturer to quote the electric range for a fully loaded vehicle at 70mph?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby wobblynobbly » Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:27 pm

Mike wrote:
2xPHEVs wrote: 35miles could be achieved if van empty and you drive no faster than 30mph

Do you expect a manufacturer to quote the electric range for a fully loaded vehicle at 70mph?

I expect they would if it was a good figure and made the change to EV a practical one. The other interesting thing is we are speed rated based on full weight so it does seem a very picky and choosy way manufacturers can put out their specs.
Personally I think fully commercial EVs won't ever make the grade and hydrogen based power plants for trucks, plant and vans make more sense.
Transit 2000 (mk6) 115T330 LX SWB semi hi roof, 55plate Sold on
2018 Custom 280 l1h1 Ltd, Magnetic grey
wobblynobbly
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Mike » Mon Nov 29, 2021 7:10 pm

LOL, did you come down with the last shower?
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby 2xPHEVs » Thu Dec 02, 2021 9:59 am

What i expect when Ford adverises sync3 as standard to deliver 2.5 and tell me its what it is and tell me to rebuy them again andvi have to hope i get what i paid for. My friend ordered a van after me and still has sync 2.5

I dont expect figures from Manufacturers to be realistic , but what i do expect when the manufacturer states over a year on their website to use precondition in winter to find out its still not available with no idea when i might ve available

I can live with 25-28 in summer, but i cant live with in winter because ford cant be bothered to provide features advertised..

I live 18miles from Central london, the 1st journey 6miles is at 50mph, about 4miles is at 40mph, the rest at 20mph and today n out

The other morning i manually preconditioned by unplugged the van abd putting ac on max for 10mins, which used 30% of battery, i then took 40mins on 7kw charger to get the battery to max. If ford fix this precondition, the range sbould be more lkke summer which is acceptable

Also what i do t understand how can ford advertise 35miles of range on a van witg a 13kw battery abd also advertise 35miles on a 13kw kuga.

I doubt a van has the same weight and aerodynamics as a car.. Something amiss here
2xPHEVs

Postby 2xPHEVs » Thu Dec 02, 2021 10:12 am

Can everyone with a custom PHEV check what sync systems you are running and maybe advise your order date if it wasnt a stock item

Ford are telling me that although there website and brochure clearly states sync 3 and my dealer ordered sync 3 they are entitled to change the spec without notice, yet they are still advertising sync3, knowing you will only get 2.5.

Plus the precondition advertised as a working feature, to find out its not even ready and most likely wont be for these vehicles, is a blatent lie.

I dont understand if i buy a Sony PS5 and i get given an PS4, this is illegal, yet ford can do exactly that without any explanation.

I have now cancelled my monthly payments until i get an answer or what i paid for, hoping it will go to court as im sure ill win

The more people can respond with what they have, ill see ford in court and let you all know hiw it goes
2xPHEVs

Postby Mike » Thu Dec 02, 2021 11:54 am

They can do what they like fella, and they’ll continue to do it until people like you reject the vehicle.
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby conrod » Tue Dec 07, 2021 10:09 am

In most civilised countries what they have done to you would be illegal, and good on you for taking them to task on it, I hope you get a satisfactory result! please keep us posted on how it goes. It would be in Fords interest to settle this out of court, as it would look very bad for them to be dragged through court, and possibly lose on this. That would result in a lot of cancelled orders I imagine!
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Tue Dec 07, 2021 1:05 pm

conrod wrote:In most civilised countries what they have done to you would be illegal, and good on you for taking them to task on it, I hope you get a satisfactory result! please keep us posted on how it goes. It would be in Fords interest to settle this out of court, as it would look very bad for them to be dragged through court, and possibly lose on this. That would result in a lot of cancelled orders I imagine!

Hopefully he consulted his Ford dealer. From the Custom brochure, "This catalogue was correct at the time of going to print. However, Ford policy is one of continuous product development. The right is reserved to change specifications, colours and recommended prices of the models and items illustrated and described in this publication at any time. For the latest details always consult your Ford Dealer"
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby conrod » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:25 pm

Mike wrote:
conrod wrote:In most civilised countries what they have done to you would be illegal, and good on you for taking them to task on it, I hope you get a satisfactory result! please keep us posted on how it goes. It would be in Fords interest to settle this out of court, as it would look very bad for them to be dragged through court, and possibly lose on this. That would result in a lot of cancelled orders I imagine!

Hopefully he consulted his Ford dealer. From the Custom brochure, "This catalogue was correct at the time of going to print. However, Ford policy is one of continuous product development. The right is reserved to change specifications, colours and recommended prices of the models and items illustrated and described in this publication at any time. For the latest details always consult your Ford Dealer"

Interesting disclaimer in the brochure, which on the surface would absolve Ford of any blame, but if what 2xPHEVs says is correct, then the brochure has never been correct, given that it would appear that the PHEV van has not (or ever) been supplied with Sync 3. I would be keeping a copy of the brochure, as well as screenshotting anything on the Ford UK website which states that these vans are supplied with Sync 3, and any other anomalies, because as sure as eggs, they will take that down as soon as they realise it is wrong! A brochure and screenshot would be quite compelling evidence when standing in front of a judge I would suggest ;)
conrod
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mike » Wed Dec 08, 2021 11:35 pm

conrod wrote:
Interesting disclaimer in the brochure, which on the surface would absolve Ford of any blame, but if what 2xPHEVs says is correct, then the brochure has never been correct, given that it would appear that the PHEV van has not (or ever) been supplied with Sync 3. I would be keeping a copy of the brochure, as well as screenshotting anything on the Ford UK website which states that these vans are supplied with Sync 3, and any other anomalies, because as sure as eggs, they will take that down as soon as they realise it is wrong! A brochure and screenshot would be quite compelling evidence when standing in front of a judge I would suggest ;)

The Auto Express PHEV long term test van appears to have Sync 3 as they mention Apple Car Play. (unless Car Play is available on Sync 2.5?)
Mike
Wind up merchant!

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom