*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

How much security is too much?!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

How much security is too much?!

Postby toopstar » Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:32 pm

I've recently bought a 2014 Custom and will be getting cargo door hook locks and the drivers door high security replacement lock fitted.

Is it also worth having fitted at the same time, the cab door loom guards and possibly the interior protection plates for the cargo doors, to help stop access from scum cutting through the door skin?

I thought the loom cutting was a 'thing' for the earlier model, although the inconvenience of having it damaged by some muppet trying anyway is considerable, even if they can't unlock the doors that way any more.

OBD lock, worth it?

Thanks, Anthony
Custom 2014 Trend 270 L1 H2
MK7 2007 T300s 110ps L1 H2 "Sold"
toopstar
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Re: How much security is too much?!

Postby hfac1988 » Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:26 pm

I don't have tools in my van as I'll admit, so perhaps my security needs are a bit less than yours.
I didn't install any extra locks, but one thing I did install was an Autowatch Ghost immobiliser - you need a passcode to start the ignition so even if your keys are taken from you, unless they have the passcode the car simply will not start, at all.
Downsides: you have to put the code in every time so it adds circa 5-10 seconds to the whole operation, so I guess if you're in and out the van a lot coming and going it may be a bit cumbersome.
Upsides: security.
It did cost just over £400, but then people often seen £3k on a bicycle, put it in a £300 shed and use a £3 lock, and wonder why it's gone missing.
hfac1988

Postby Tezenforcer40 » Fri Jan 14, 2022 7:33 pm

I also dont use my van a for work but to tow a caravan, I have side windows on both sides and rear windows so scum can see there is nowt to steal so its the van I am trying to stop being taken.
I have fitted a TVL Hykee replock on the drivers door, anti loom protectors in front doors and TVL OBD port box, I also always have the steering wheel lock on even during the day on the drive.
regards Tez

Bubba when I get home Ima gonna whoop your Mamas ass, cos sure as hell you never came from my loins
Tezenforcer40
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby jinx » Sat Jan 15, 2022 12:59 am

As HFCS has advised, fit a ghost autowatch, i had one on my previous van, it's a bit of a pain having to enter code to start but you will have peace of mind that it's not likely to be stolen even if they have your keys
jinx
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Garygardener » Wed Jan 26, 2022 9:02 am

Also got a ghost system, they come out to your house and fit it, takes about an hour. well worth it.
Garygardener
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom