*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Custom Oil Consumption

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Custom Oil Consumption

Postby bigeein » Fri Jun 24, 2022 8:14 am

Hi all , new to the forum and I found this thread interesting:-
viewtopic.php?f=65&t=213868

I’ve just bought a custom limited back in April. I’m interested to know ( as I’ve not had a custom before) do these engines like to consume a bit of oil. I’ve done approx 5000 miles since April and I needed to top up with a litre of oil. Is this within normal consumption range. Generally I’ll do a run from Scotland to England ever 2 weeks , the have short runs in between. Vans done 30k and is running well. Is this normal turbo oil burn off.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions and hello everyone
bigeein

Re: Custom Oil Consumption

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Jun 25, 2022 9:10 pm

Don't know if this applies to diesels, but I've heard to make engines more economical over the past 7 years or so, they have been installing low tension and thinner piston rings.
Yes it does make them more economical ..but it also makes them burn more oil and contaminate oil quickly.
And advice is ...that your 10,000 mile oil change intervals should be ignored and you should change at 5000 or you'll get gummed pistons rings , followed by even more oil consumption ..then scored bores.- often leads to trashed engine before 100,000 comes up.
Lots about it on youtube - particularly ford engines beginning with the word eco.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bigeein » Tue Jun 28, 2022 12:09 pm

Thanks for that information.

What I’m internet to know is are the diesel Panther engines known for using some oil. I can understand the turbo burning off some oil. So I’m interested to know do other custom owners have the same experience with there engines.

I’m also dubious regarding the length of service intervals. Personally I think every 10k is far more appropriate.
bigeein

Postby richbee » Thu Jun 30, 2022 2:52 pm

bigeein wrote:Thanks for that information.

What I’m internet to know is are the diesel Panther engines known for using some oil. I can understand the turbo burning off some oil. So I’m interested to know do other custom owners have the same experience with there engines.

I’m also dubious regarding the length of service intervals. Personally I think every 10k is far more appropriate.

I've not noticed any oil level drops in mine over the last 78k - but the other problem is that the level can rise as fuel is dumped back into the oil during incomplete DPF regeneration - so you could lose oil, but then have it 'topped up' with fuel, which is not good.
I change my oil every year or 18k, instead of the advised 36k!!
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby seikokid » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:15 pm

both mine have over 100,000 each and neither has ever lost oil. i have 2.2 and 2.0
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom