*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

2018 custom automatic gearbox whine?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

2018 Automatic whining noise

Postby Stickyrubber » Tue Aug 17, 2021 7:24 pm

Hi all

Firstly, my apologies if there is another thread on this issue.

Currently have a 2018 custom with the 6 speed auto gearbox. Today the vehicle has developed a whining noise when accelerating and decelerating. It’s been up on a friends ramp (he was too busy today to give me too much time) but he can’t identify the issues so I’m here for some expert help.

It seems to change gear without issues but the noise does occur through each change and from what I can tell it’s constant. It doesn’t do it at idle or when the van is in neutral or park. It’s not lacking in power and there’s not crunching noises or anything else like that going on. It sounds like a sodding propeller airplane taking off! I’m hoping it’s not a gearbox issues but I’m prepared for the worst possible outcome.

Had warranty work done by Ford last year (new turbo, ad blue injector and ECU and windscreen wiper loom as they were stuck on fast) and it would also appear today that during that time the cooling fan isn’t or hasn’t worked since the work was done.

The only thing I can think of is a failing torque converter.

I’m not sure what other details I can provide.

Thanks in advance and my apologies once again if there are other threads on the issue.

Get a custom they said, it’ll be fun they said. I think I might have a Friday afternoon, POETS van!

Cheers.

Leigh.
Stickyrubber

2018 custom automatic gearbox whine?

Postby Stickyrubber » Tue Aug 17, 2021 8:31 pm

Hi all

My first post so please be gentle with me!

Apologies in advance if there is already a thread on my issue but I have searched.

I have a 2018 transit custom ( 70k miles) automatic (dodgy left hip forced me) and it’s developed a whining noise through the gear range but changes into each gear perfectly well and isn’t lacking power. It does it on both acceleration and deceleration. It doesn’t make the noise in park or neutral.

I hoping someone can tell me it’s an easy fix problem but I have my doubts. I’m not mechanically proficient so forgive me if my description is lacking.

Could it be a failing torque converter or something as simple as failing belts? It had warranty work done by Ford last year (new turbo, new ad blue injector, new ECU and new windscreen wiper loom as they were stuck on full speed) and I’ve discovered also today the the cooling fan has not been working or switched on since the warranty work…

I hoping it’s not a failing gear box!

Get of transit they said, it’ll be fun they said! I think I might have purchased a POETS van!

Thank you in advance for all the good and bad news!

Cheers.

Leigh.
Stickyrubber

Re: 2018 custom automatic gearbox whine?

Postby Boston » Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:18 pm

I have same problem with my Auto :shock: did you find out the fault with yours.
Swb Custom ltd 180bhp
Boston
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Re: 2018 custom automatic gearbox whine?

Postby seikokid » Wed Jul 20, 2022 11:11 pm

don’t know unfit will help but maybe change the oil. mine was banging and slipping and new oil made it fine again

did it at 90k

believe it’s part of regular service now from ford
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom