*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

EGR QUESTION

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

EGR QUESTION

Postby carlburt78 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 4:05 pm

I've recently had my egr removed soaked and cleaned but my van still intermittently drives poorly like it feels restricted. I unplugged my egr for about 5 minutes and the van drove much better , I've never had any egr fault codes but the van covers alot of start stop journeys 6 days a week, I've put 40k miles on the van in 2 years and that's all start stop . Is there a chance the egr can work but work poorly? Yesterday for instance the van drove lovely but today it felt restricted, it seems to be lower speeds where it feels sluggish which unfortunately is most of my days driving! Its definitely intermittent but it's too often for my liking . Also my Dpf is regening between 5 and 6 times a day or around every 15 miles , ..

Last week I had the glow plugs replaced/ inlet manifold was replaced/ Egr and throttle body cleaned , I also had a new thermostat fitted yesterday as mine was stuck open so spent lots of money and it still has drivability issues

Also with the dpf it's not showing as blocked on forscan and the poor operation of the dpf seems to go hand in hand with the poor running of the van , I did buy an aftermarket EGR and asked the guy if he could fit it but he said he will only fit genuine parts ! Has anyone any experience with aftermarket EGR'S? I remember my mk7 used to be poor to drive when egr was playing up but I just used to unplug it but can't really do that with this van

Transit custom 2.2 fwd 2014 thanks
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: EGR QUESTION

Postby carlburt78 » Sat Feb 04, 2023 5:42 pm

Screenshot_20230204-160205_Chrome.jpg
Just checked the 3 sensors on my dpf and sensor 3 lower is reading 0.89 volts at 20 degrees
The other 2 read 5 volts at 65 and according to the chart exhaust temperature sensors should start at 5 volts then lower as temperatures rises but oddly sensor 3 voltage rises when temperatures increase but it never goes above 2 volts. So unsure if I have a faulty sensor or if it's meant to be like that ? I did notice today whilst looking at live data that sensor number 3 temperature was reading higher than the others which I found strange as it's the last sensor near the tail pipe so thought it should read cooler ?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dgoss999 » Sun Feb 05, 2023 4:54 pm

My stuck EGR valve caused both poor performance and 'Hill Start Assist' to fail. Once I got the thing unstuck and lubed/freed up, the Hill Start fault disappeared and the performance is now back to how it was.... I will replace the EGR once the weather warms up a bit but it won't be a OEM one...

Time will tell if this is a mistake!!

DG
dgoss999
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby carlburt78 » Mon Feb 06, 2023 3:14 pm

dgoss999 wrote:My stuck EGR valve caused both poor performance and 'Hill Start Assist' to fail. Once I got the thing unstuck and lubed/freed up, the Hill Start fault disappeared and the performance is now back to how it was.... I will replace the EGR once the weather warms up a bit but it won't be a OEM one...

Time will tell if this is a mistake!!

DG
was it the motor that stuck or the valve itself? Only asking because had mine cleaned
carlburt78
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby dgoss999 » Tue Feb 07, 2023 12:28 am

The motor was fine. It was the slider for the valve plate that was stuck solid. A bit of lubrication and much prying back and forward got it free enough to close under its own spring tension.

DG
dgoss999
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Return to Transit Custom