*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Power steering Non return valve damaged?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Power steering Non return valve damaged?

Postby Row83t » Wed May 22, 2024 1:53 pm

Power steering check valve or non return valve

Power steering not working please help. 2014 2.2L 125 bhp Transit Custom 290.

I had a leak in the high pressure power steering hose due to corrosion so changed the hose just like I had done on the low pressure side a couple years ago. Only this time the power steering only worked for a minute or two before the pump started to whine and get very hot, I lost the power steering and immediately I shut off the engine. Later I drained the fluid took the hose off checked everything put it back together and still no power steering.

After some research I wondered if it is a problem with a check valve that iv heard can come loose on certain racks. It's located where the high pressure hose fits into the rack.

Does this valve look like it is the right way round or damaged? see pic attached

Im now wondering if its got turned or damage while I was changing the hose and I have wrecked the rack and the pump.

Any help would be greatly appreciated thanks!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Row83t

Re: Power steering Non return valve damaged?

Postby metalworker0 » Wed May 22, 2024 3:09 pm

i did lots of searches on this valve the other day ..and drew a blank, there is no info on it , not included in any repair kits both pump or rack.

fellow with failed power steering in the mk6 /7 forum was adviced the other day :

"check the mesh gauze in the bottom of the reservoir"

i cant see yours properly in your picture as its installed , there are various posts here and there ...with comments like "what's wrong with my plunger" .with pics of .a valve ..or spring pictures. and no answers!

what's missing from all these pictures ..this is me guessing...is a tiny ball bearing

because in my opinion, that's usually how a one way valve or relief valve works ..a spring and a ball bearing.

all the best.mark
metalworker0
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Re: Power steering Non return valve damaged?

Postby sherwoodcycles » Sat May 25, 2024 1:36 am

I have a spare used rack you can use for bits near Oxford
Greeny
sherwoodcycles
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Return to Transit Custom