*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp FWD

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp FWD

Postby Rimorello » Sat Dec 27, 2025 11:43 am

Hi, I am lookong into making a boost to my camper, Ford based.
From what I could find it has 180A alternator, but that's too weak for my needs:
I want to be able to charge my power station 2400W during driving.

Currently I can afford only 300 watts (because many appliances already using the alternator energy), and this is extremely low. I need at least 1000, so I am looking into either add another alternator or swap the existing one with Ford original 250A one.

The question: if money is not the question, what would be the best solution?

Best wishes and happy holidays,
Maks
Rimorello
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2025 11:29 am

Re: Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp F

Postby metalworker0 » Sat Dec 27, 2025 2:47 pm

your message bit jumbled up mk7 ??-------- custom 2.0 ecoblue is what you mean

SO ----You need to charge batteries with a more powerful alternator, then supply a 2400 watt inverter ... do i have this right? ...... even if so, i dont know the answer ... as your van is equipped with a smart alternator, i looked at upgrades on ebay and the maximum i think is 250 amps (i could be wrong). standard i think is 150 amps.. very hard to search ebay with numbers and amps

and i dont know if you room for an "extra " alternator with longer drive belt like this chap did .

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QVIDDS7VdX4

he has more space than you


all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp F

Postby Rimorello » Sun Dec 28, 2025 9:32 pm

You’re right, my mistake – thanks for pointing that out.
I mixed up the Mk7 naming.
To be fair, when I google “Ford Transit Mk7”, I keep seeing the same front as my van, which is probably why I got confused in the first place.
The camper is a Rimor Kilig 18 Plus, so Ford Transit (full size) base, not Transit Custom as I wrote initially.
The main issue remains the same though: I’m trying to get significantly more charging power while driving for a 300Ah LiFePO₄ setup, but I’m currently only seeing around 300 W from the alternator side.
I’m now leaning towards a proper DC-DC charging solution rather than a simple alternator swap.
Thanks again for the clarification and for taking the time to reply, appreciated.

Happy holidays
Maks
Rimorello
Newbie
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sat Dec 27, 2025 11:29 am

Re: Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp F

Postby metalworker0 » Sun Dec 28, 2025 9:52 pm

I’m currently only seeing around 300 W from the alternator side


That's 20 amps when its putting out 15 volt

Like i said, you have a smart alternator that is sometimes on and sometimes off , and sometimes makes 17 volts . and sometimes just measures as battery voltage 12.5 or so.. and that's about all i know about them

Very hard to measure what its doing when its acting like that .. your 300 watt measurement came after it was caught taking a rest ........ when all batteries are charged it will not be doing anything .. you'll have to put a peak load on it .. to measure its full output .

Careful, as i don't know enough about smart alternators to guess if putting peak load on it might bugger something up, the link i gave above shows how he tests for peak voltage and amps and i don't know if his alternator is smart or not .. he's smart though.


all the best.mark
User avatar
metalworker0
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6067
Joined: Wed May 05, 2021 4:43 pm
Location: Prestatyn

Re: Additional or more powerful alternator mk7 2019, 170hp F

Postby dumper » Mon Dec 29, 2025 12:02 pm

You can disable the smart charging by earthing out a wire in one of the plugs underneath the driver’s seatbox look on YouTube quite a lot on this subject
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6406
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire


Return to Transit Custom



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot]

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.