*NOW BOOKED FOR 2026* Transitmania 17 @ Santa Pod 17th to 19th July 2026 *ALL DETAILS HERE*


Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents

Postby raimo_L » Tue Sep 01, 2026 7:12 pm

**Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents – looking for real-world experience**

I have a 2014 Ford Transit Custom, approximately 2,000 kg empty weight and 3,000 kg maximum gross weight.

I use the van for travelling in the Alps, and I am looking for advice from people who regularly drive Transit Customs on long and steep mountain descents.

The main problem is brake temperature.

On steep descents I always try to use engine braking as much as possible. However, there is a practical problem with the gearing:

* In 4th gear the van gradually accelerates too much, so I still have to use the brakes regularly.
* In 3rd gear the engine speed rises very quickly above 4,000 rpm, especially on steeper sections.

So on long descents it is difficult to find a comfortable balance between engine braking and using the service brakes.

I have already experienced the brakes getting hot enough to produce visible smoke on the descent from Malbun in Liechtenstein. Interestingly, there was no dramatic loss of braking performance, but obviously I do not want to repeat this or rely on the brakes continuing to work at those temperatures.

I am therefore interested mainly in **technical improvements to the braking system**, rather than general advice about mountain-driving technique.

Has anyone here used a Transit Custom extensively in the Alps or other mountainous areas and upgraded the brakes specifically for better heat resistance?

I would be particularly interested in real-world experience with:

* higher-quality brake discs, such as ATE, Brembo, Zimmermann, etc.;
* performance or higher-temperature brake pads;
* drilled or grooved discs;
* different brake fluid;
* upgrading to larger Ford Transit brakes or another OEM Ford brake setup;
* any other modification that noticeably improves resistance to brake fade and overheating.

I am not looking for more aggressive braking under normal conditions. The standard brakes have plenty of braking power. What I want is **better thermal capacity and heat resistance during long descents with a roughly 3-tonne vehicle**.

If anyone has actually compared standard brakes with an upgraded setup in mountain driving, I would be very interested to hear what worked and what did not.

Thanks in advance.
raimo_L
Newbie
 
Posts: 1
Joined: Tue Sep 01, 2026 7:07 pm

Re: Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents

Postby mompracen_bs » Wed Sep 02, 2026 2:40 pm

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=141824&p=1865279#p1865279

TC engine 2.0 year 2016, upgrade this winter:
Rim 15">16" (the maximum allowed in Italy for work vehicles)
Front brake disc 288mm>308mm (change only carrier caliper, OEM caliper)
new pads front+rear
Front sway bar 24x?? > 27.0x5.1mm/24.9x4.7mm " FSB double-diameter"


Front brake disc upgrade, Best modification I've ever made.
3 off-road motorcycles + spare parts, while driving downhill through the Apennines (Cisa, Bologna-Firenze, Passo del Turchino,...)
the “quality and modulation of braking have improved dramatically.”

PS It's possible to do something similar with the rear discs as well, but I don't have any details yet.
mompracen_bs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict
 
Posts: 59
Joined: Wed Jul 17, 2024 9:10 am

Re: Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents

Postby dumper » Wed Sep 02, 2026 3:34 pm

You could try E S B brakes they do different grades of pad material and discs for transits I used them on my mk 6 jumbo when I went fishing to Ireland I used to be over the weight limit.
You could do what they for motorsport when the regulations allow is water cool the brakes what they do is windscreen washes bottle and pump and direct water onto the discs not sure how long the discs last using it ESB would be worth contacting in the UK another upgrade is to cross drill the discs like you see on motorcycles
2025 MK 8 L3 H3 Motorsport campervan
Past camper vans
1974 mk1 v4 with 2.0 pinto fitted
1986 mk3 2.5 di swb
1990 190 lwb 2.5 di
1998 100 lwb 2.5 di
2006 350 jumbo 135 tdci
2015 MK 8 L4 H3 motorsport campervan
dumper
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist
 
Posts: 6406
Joined: Sun Jan 20, 2008 2:56 pm
Location: Lincolnshire

Re: Transit Custom brakes for long Alpine descents

Postby Radiofence » Fri Sep 11, 2026 6:14 pm

Ive had my brakes start fading coming down some of the hills in Devon. I went back to using genuine ford discs and pads snd ive not had it happen since. Came down the alps too - only issues were the gesrbox getting hot going up.
Transit custom 2.2
User avatar
Radiofence
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado
 
Posts: 227
Joined: Sun Dec 29, 2024 2:17 pm
Location: Oxford


Return to Transit Custom



Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users

This site contains affiliate links for which we may be compensated.