*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

What did you do to your Custom today?

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: What did you do to your Custom today?

Postby seagypsy1407u » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:55 pm

Looking forward to seeing the finished article :) :)
seagypsy1407u
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby John webbo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:04 pm

richbee wrote:
John webbo wrote:Replaced the original DCIV Sport rear floor & seats with brand new Tourneo floor and rear seats.

Looks good - how easy was it to locate / drill the bolt positions for the Tourneo seats?

How easy was it to get the floor & seats too - direct from Ford dealer?

I bought the seats and floor from a guy who sells through the bay. Search for Tourneo rear seats. Cloth ones sell for ~400 quid a set of 3, I got a leather set for £500.
There are a number of companies doing taxi / disabled vehicle conversions, so they sell on the new seats.
The guy I contacted also happened to have a brand new L2 floor (£100), and supplied the rear seat rails too.

Removing the original stuff was easy enough, just lots of bits to remove that wouldn't be obvious.

Two of the bolts each side from the original seat mountings line up with one of the new brackets. This acted as a great reference.
I masked each of the slots so I had something to mark onto easily. Then marked each of the holes using the drilling guide. I measured from the front upstand between rear floor and cab. At this stage it was obvious my dimensions didn't align properly, they were out by about 5mm. I therefore used the brackets I bolted as the reference instead.
I did the drivers side first as it was easy enough to get to the new holes between the chassis rail and exhaust heat shield.
Doing the passengers side is very tight between the chassis rail and fuel tank, so I propped the tank on a trolley jack, and dropped it down by an inch or so (no need to remove the support bolts completely, just back them out).
With these rails now bolted up I fitted the seats, to ensure it set the correct position for the other rail. I then marked these, drilled the pilots (noting one is inside a chassis leg, and another is very close to a support, so drilled to leave enough room to get the nut on).

The middle rails need the tank dropped. I had a full tank of diesel so have left this for a week or two.
I've not fitted the rear rails yet, but most of them look like they will be easy to access.

I used 12mm flanged nuts, and square spreader plates. I previously had a look under a Tourneo to compare how the fittings on that were strengthened, and quite satisfied this is as good.

All of the new door/rear cill trim bits are on order (~240 quid :shock: )

Hope that helps a bit. If you want more detailed info just ask :)
2019 Custom Sport DCIV. Landed and loving it
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:30 pm

John webbo wrote:
richbee wrote:
John webbo wrote:Replaced the original DCIV Sport rear floor & seats with brand new Tourneo floor and rear seats.

Looks good - how easy was it to locate / drill the bolt positions for the Tourneo seats?

How easy was it to get the floor & seats too - direct from Ford dealer?

I bought the seats and floor from a guy who sells through the bay. Search for Tourneo rear seats. Cloth ones sell for ~400 quid a set of 3, I got a leather set for £500.
There are a number of companies doing taxi / disabled vehicle conversions, so they sell on the new seats.
The guy I contacted also happened to have a brand new L2 floor (£100), and supplied the rear seat rails too.

Removing the original stuff was easy enough, just lots of bits to remove that wouldn't be obvious.

Two of the bolts each side from the original seat mountings line up with one of the new brackets. This acted as a great reference.
I masked each of the slots so I had something to mark onto easily. Then marked each of the holes using the drilling guide. I measured from the front upstand between rear floor and cab. At this stage it was obvious my dimensions didn't align properly, they were out by about 5mm. I therefore used the brackets I bolted as the reference instead.
I did the drivers side first as it was easy enough to get to the new holes between the chassis rail and exhaust heat shield.
Doing the passengers side is very tight between the chassis rail and fuel tank, so I propped the tank on a trolley jack, and dropped it down by an inch or so (no need to remove the support bolts completely, just back them out).
With these rails now bolted up I fitted the seats, to ensure it set the correct position for the other rail. I then marked these, drilled the pilots (noting one is inside a chassis leg, and another is very close to a support, so drilled to leave enough room to get the nut on).

The middle rails need the tank dropped. I had a full tank of diesel so have left this for a week or two.
I've not fitted the rear rails yet, but most of them look like they will be easy to access.

I used 12mm flanged nuts, and square spreader plates. I previously had a look under a Tourneo to compare how the fittings on that were strengthened, and quite satisfied this is as good.

All of the new door/rear cill trim bits are on order (~240 quid :shock: )

Hope that helps a bit. If you want more detailed info just ask :)
That's brilliant, thanks!
I looked on eBay after I replied to your post.
I saw seats for £360 ~400 with the rails. Haven't seen the floor yet.
If I did it, I only want the 2nd row of seats, not fussed about the 3rd row

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John webbo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:04 am

You don't tend to see the floors advertised, no idea why.
I contacted two companies about seats and when I asked they both had floors, so its worth an ask.
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Fri Jan 31, 2020 11:34 am

John webbo wrote:You don't tend to see the floors advertised, no idea why.
I contacted two companies about seats and when I asked they both had floors, so its worth an ask.

Did you have any problems with your insurance? Will you get a certificate to prove they are safely fitted.
I tried to speak to mine yesterday but they were vague at best - said I would have to transfer to another insurance provider, but not idea of cost.
I was hoping it wouldn't be too bad as I'm not changing the number of seats and they are still Ford original seats.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby richbee » Fri Feb 28, 2020 11:21 am

John webbo wrote:You don't tend to see the floors advertised, no idea why.
Sorry, more questions!
Is the tourneo floor height around the, seats the same as the dciv floor height around the, seats?
Thinking about the fit of the side steps.
Cheers
Richard

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John webbo » Wed Mar 18, 2020 1:59 pm

Sorry Rich, only just seen your replies :roll:

The tourneo floor height is different to the DCIV.
In the DCIV there are 4 metal U section brackets screwed to the floor, then the floor over these, then the seat bolted through.
Its roughly 70mm from metal floor to finished floor height (look at the plastic side step trim as an indication).
The floor itself is made of ~10mm chipboard with foam blocks bonded to it to bridge the gap to the floor. When you unbolt the triple seat there really is no strength to the floor under where the seat was.

On the Tourneo the metal rails the seats clip into bolt straight to the floor. The floor itself is in the order of 30 to 35mm from metal to finished.
The original floor is made of ~6mm chipboard and has foam blocks bonded to it, and some sound deadening in other areas. There are also big wide channels left where the heating ducts should be. I filled these gaps with closed cell insulation sheet. If you don't do this there is a lack of strength in these areas.

There are two choices for the side steps.
you can buy the trims from the Tourneo, which is what I have done. This is not a cheap option, as they are in 3 bits, and are over 150 quid for the 6 parts :x
Or you can buy the step trims from a crew van, and cut the floor to fit. These are half the price. I got these originally and should have kept them, but opted for the tourneo ones.

With respect to insurance, I have not told them.
I am working on the basis that it was a 5 seater and will remain a 5 seater, as you say.
The seats are fitted in a similar manner to those on an original tourneo, and I've fitted spreader plates where required.
Each rail has 4 bolts through it, so they really arent going anywhere.

Hope that helps.
John webbo
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby richbee » Wed Mar 18, 2020 4:22 pm

John webbo wrote:Sorry Rich, only just seen your replies :roll:

The tourneo floor height is different to the DCIV.
In the DCIV there are 4 metal U section brackets screwed to the floor, then the floor over these, then the seat bolted through.
Its roughly 70mm from metal floor to finished floor height (look at the plastic side step trim as an indication).
The floor itself is made of ~10mm chipboard with foam blocks bonded to it to bridge the gap to the floor. When you unbolt the triple seat there really is no strength to the floor under where the seat was.

On the Tourneo the metal rails the seats clip into bolt straight to the floor. The floor itself is in the order of 30 to 35mm from metal to finished.
The original floor is made of ~6mm chipboard and has foam blocks bonded to it, and some sound deadening in other areas. There are also big wide channels left where the heating ducts should be. I filled these gaps with closed cell insulation sheet. If you don't do this there is a lack of strength in these areas.

There are two choices for the side steps.
you can buy the trims from the Tourneo, which is what I have done. This is not a cheap option, as they are in 3 bits, and are over 150 quid for the 6 parts :x
Or you can buy the step trims from a crew van, and cut the floor to fit. These are half the price. I got these originally and should have kept them, but opted for the tourneo ones.

With respect to insurance, I have not told them.
I am working on the basis that it was a 5 seater and will remain a 5 seater, as you say.
The seats are fitted in a similar manner to those on an original tourneo, and I've fitted spreader plates where required.
Each rail has 4 bolts through it, so they really arent going anywhere.

Hope that helps.

Thanks John,

As ever, your information and level of details is top-notch! Thankyou :D
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby longhair » Thu Mar 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Finally got round to fitting new front brake disc today. Looking at the old ones it wasn't a moment to soon, :shock:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
longhair
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby mavericktc » Wed Apr 01, 2020 9:02 pm

Fitted new rims on it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
mavericktc
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby mayes » Fri Apr 24, 2020 1:56 am

Boston wrote:New wheels and tyres 225/75/16 all terrain BFG’S

Hey mate, did you have to get a lift kit to accomodate these tyres or did they fit with the stock suspension?
mayes

Postby Tendring1 » Thu Apr 30, 2020 11:29 pm

New alloys and tyres
Ready for zombie apocalypse
Really pleased with the look
Tendring1

Postby loot » Fri May 01, 2020 9:59 am

Tendring1 wrote:New alloys and tyres
Ready for zombie apocalypse
Really pleased with the look

I don't normally like black alloys but the tyres make them look cool. I like chunky tyres.
56 350 2.2 130ps mk7 with 2 side doors 8)
65 290 2.2 125ps custom with 2 side doors 8)
07 350 170ps
Ids v86 licence + v86.04 update + xprog here
Ids map here
loot
Site Moderator

Postby Neil the cabbie » Wed Sep 02, 2020 1:53 pm

Broke it
Lol
Well on Monday.
Driving nicely then splutter splutter stop....
Now won’t start.
Normal mechanic said engine has seized can’t turn the fly wheel with a bar on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Neil the cabbie
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby V184 » Thu Sep 17, 2020 5:28 pm

Neil the cabbie wrote:Broke it
Lol
Well on Monday.
Driving nicely then splutter splutter stop....
Now won’t start.
Normal mechanic said engine has seized can’t turn the fly wheel with a bar on it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was the engine shot ?
V184
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom