*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Dipped beam fault Custom Trend 2014

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Dipped beam fault Custom Trend 2014

Postby sasquatch22 » Sun Nov 01, 2020 9:43 pm

hi everyone & thanks for letting me onto this forum :)
did anyone find a fix for this as its just happened on my transit custom 2015.
started intermitant and now its off alltogether and the dipped beam fault comes on as soon as i put the key in...tia :D
sasquatch22

Postby k9robert » Wed May 12, 2021 9:55 am

hi all
My 2014 Custom has developed this problem also, on inserting the ing. key i get Dipped Heading bulb fault, my mechanic spent hours last night trying to find the fault to no avail.
Did find the plug that fits to the headlight with multi wires that there was no power to number eight on the block! check all the fuses but cant find a blown one, are there any other fuses other than the ones under the steering wheel.
Its just the drivers side, we swopped the headlight unit t the nearside and it worked perfectly so it seems to be this number eight wire fault!
Any help would be very welcome .
thanks
k9robert
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby KevofCov » Tue Aug 31, 2021 8:22 pm

Same problem with my van. I'm guessing its a software issue.
I got a message on my dash and saw the bulb fail (night time). A couple of seconds later the lamp lit up again and I thought I back to normal! The next night it was out and the message had returned. Today I removed the bulb and the filament was broken.
This thread is on the same problem

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=209072&p=1744340#p1744340
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Wed Sep 01, 2021 8:36 pm

A clue I think, lifted from a focus ST forum

The lighting on the ST, regardless of trim level is controlled by the BCM (body control module). The BCM uses what is referred to as FET (field affect transistor) to prevent damage to the module while controlling a 12 volt function. If the BCM determines that there is a change in voltage, it will shut down the FET and the light will not longer work. When this occurs, the BCM will network a message to the IC (instrument cluster) for a driver visible warning. At the same time, it will set a DTC for the corresponding light and which fault it detected, open, short, high voltage, low voltage, etc.

Long story short, you can replace a faulty light component 100 times but if you don't clear the code, the BCM will never know to resume normal operation.

This should of been taken to the dealer. No offense. These arn't your ma and pa kinda cars anymore, they are complicated.

My Forscan doesn't appear to be able to clear the fault....
Also how does this system comply with EU law that you should be able to change bulbs at the roadside....
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Altransit » Wed Sep 01, 2021 10:22 pm

KevofCov wrote:A clue I think, lifted from a focus ST forum.....................

Also how does this system comply with EU law that you should be able to change bulbs at the roadside....

Yet strangely, when this happened on my Focus, replacing the headlamp bulb reset the system with no diagnostics involved, and the bulb just worked. There could possibly still be a historic DTC in the system, but it has not caused any further problem :? It's hard to believe that, given the above law, that they can make replacing a bulb so complicated.

Is it possible that the blown bulb has created a fault/short somewhere in the connectors or the wiring?
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby KevofCov » Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:03 pm

Altransit wrote:
KevofCov wrote:A clue I think, lifted from a focus ST forum.....................

Yet strangely, when this happened on my Focus, replacing the headlamp bulb reset the system with no diagnostics involved, and the bulb just worked. There could possibly still be a historic DTC in the system, but it has not caused any further problem :? It's hard to believe that, given the above law, that they can make replacing a bulb so complicated.

Is it possible that the blown bulb has created a fault/short somewhere in the connectors or the wiring?

Yes I've had this before and all I did was change a good bulb for another good bulb. This fxed it... I'm going to visit a ford dealer and get a ford bulb - recommended by ford build to ford specs etc
Full report next week.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Fri Sep 17, 2021 9:19 am

New bulb did nothing. £6 down.
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Sat Sep 18, 2021 11:47 am

Hi all
The following is my findings on the dipped beam not working issue.
I think that the following is spot on;

The lighting on the ST, regardless of trim level is controlled by the BCM (body control module). The BCM uses what is referred to as FET (field affect transistor) to prevent damage to the module while controlling a 12 volt function. If the BCM determines that there is a change in voltage, it will shut down the FET and the light will not longer work. When this occurs, the BCM will network a message to the IC (instrument cluster) for a driver visible warning. At the same time, it will set a DTC for the corresponding light and which fault it detected, open, short, high voltage, low voltage, etc.

Long story short, you can replace a faulty light component 100 times but if you don't clear the code, the BCM will never know to resume normal operation

Yesterday I was able to clear the fault code using Forscan and all is back to normal. Two weeks ago I could not clear it.
When it has happened previously I put it down to cheap bulbs because fitting a Halfords bulb cured it where as a good cheap bulb didn’t.
The only remaining question is, is the problem a software /BCM issue or is the system just fine and it is only doing its job – there is a genuine wiring problem and it is only reacting to it?
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby KevofCov » Sat Sep 18, 2021 6:38 pm

KevofCov wrote:Hi all
The following is my findings on the dipped beam not working issue.
I think that the following is spot on;

Long story short, you can replace a faulty light component 100 times but if you don't clear the code, the BCM will never know to resume normal operation

Yesterday I was able to clear the fault code using Forscan and all is back to normal. Two weeks ago I could not clear it.
When it has happened previously I put it down to cheap bulbs because fitting a Halfords bulb cured it where as a good cheap bulb didn’t.
The only remaining question is, is the problem a software /BCM issue or is the system just fine and it is only doing its job – there is a genuine wiring problem and it is only reacting to it?

Meant to say that my van is 2016 2.2 lwb 3.5t
KevofCov
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby k9robert » Tue Jan 24, 2023 6:01 pm

my 2014 custom does it every now and then, take it to an auto electrician who clears the fault codes , another £20 spent.
Why cars/vans nowdays have to be so complicated .
k9robert
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Previous

Return to Transit Custom