*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Stop start stopped working!!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: Stop start stopped working!!

Postby Treespotter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:04 pm

sezyal wrote: Even if it's drained too low for some reason, 2h+ driving should back it up I guess?

That not necessarily true.
Most modern cars charge their batteries regenerative. During normal continuous driving the battery is not charged.
Charging is done when you slow down with the gears engaged (braking on the engine). Try to limit your braking (with the cars braking system) to a minimum and try to use the cars ability to store energy more.
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Treespotter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:10 pm

Tran59 wrote:as I find S&S intensely annoying.

What could possibly be annoying about an engine not running while stationary with your car?

Just think of all the pollutants your not spewing into the cars ventilation system behind you at the traffic light.
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Tran59 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 12:55 pm

Treespotter wrote:
Tran59 wrote:as I find S&S intensely annoying.

What could possibly be annoying about an engine not running while stationary with your car?

Just think of all the pollutants your not spewing into the cars ventilation system behind you at the traffic light.

Ok for it's going off for a 30-second+ wait at the lights, but I can do that myself (and I do). But it's really annoying when you know you are going to stop for 3 seconds. Fortunately the Sport doesn't have it anyway :)
The best mods are the ones you don't see
Tran59
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Mussels » Sun Jan 11, 2015 1:29 pm

Tran59 wrote:Ok for it's going off for a 30-second+ wait at the lights, but I can do that myself (and I do). But it's really annoying when you know you are going to stop for 3 seconds. Fortunately the Sport doesn't have it anyway :)

Careful doing it yourself. The first stop/start systems were done with normal starter motors and wiring and the extra usage broke them fairly quickly.
Mussels
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Treespotter » Sun Jan 11, 2015 9:16 pm

Tran59 wrote: Ok for it's going off for a 30-second+ wait at the lights, but I can do that myself (and I do). But it's really annoying when you know you are going to stop for 3 seconds.

The car has no future predicting abilities, but when you do you can lock out the start stop manually every time you think you're going to stop for just a few seconds.

Just keep your foot on the clutch when you know it's just a few seconds.
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Custom155 » Mon Jan 12, 2015 10:25 am

Hi,
The thing that bothers me about the start stop is that it doesn't seem to account for turbo speed when turning off the engine. If you come straight off a motorway into services it turns off straight away. No engine no oil being pumped through the turbo bearings? I use the Hard Knott pass in the Lakes a lot and there too you can be coming up the steep hills in first or second with the turbo spinning briskly then you have to let someone past and it turns off the engine. I am sure my manual even says don't turn the engine off straight away after hard use. I would never turn off my old classic Saab 900 turbo straight away. I do now just turn the system off when not in towns. Does anyone know if there is an electric oil pump for the turbo for just this sort of situation?

Cheers, James.
Custom155
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Treespotter » Mon Jan 12, 2015 6:59 pm

I think you probably have a legitimate point there. Never really thought of that.
My red hot turbo spins happened way before start stop was even invented.
Just keep the foot on the clutch when you're scared the turbo will blow.

Any 2.2 engine turbo failure known here?
Treespotter
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby AllAboardTheWolfBus » Tue Jan 13, 2015 12:45 pm

The start-stop in mine is sporadic. I had assumed it was related to temperature, but it sometimes doesn't work when it's ~10 degrees c.

Maybe it's related to whether I have my Note 3 plugged in or not, hadn't considered that.
AllAboardTheWolfBus
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby ake » Wed Jan 14, 2015 7:19 pm

Treespotter wrote:I think you probably have a legitimate point there. Never really thought of that.
My red hot turbo spins happened way before start stop was even invented.
Just keep the foot on the clutch when you're scared the turbo will blow.

Any 2.2 engine turbo failure known here?

Aye, and they usually due to oil pressure! And no there is no electric oil pump!

Start stop depends upon coolant temp, external temp, and battery charge level
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Cookie Pjc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:18 pm

Are both battery's under the drivers seat?my custom has start stop but works on an off,does it definitely need two battery's to work,will both of them be under the drivers seat??mine doesn't work even when warm,but works when it wants,any ideas?
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby ake » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:20 pm

Cookie Pjc wrote:Are both battery's under the drivers seat?my custom has start stop but works on an off,does it definitely need two battery's to work,will both of them be under the drivers seat??mine doesn't work even when warm,but works when it wants,any ideas?

Yes, if you have twin batteries they are under the drivers seat, as far as I know, you can't have Start stop without twin batteries
Ford Transit Custom 280S Trend 105ps
Does this train stop on Merseyside?
ake
Site Moderator

Postby Cookie Pjc » Sun Dec 06, 2015 8:28 pm

ake wrote:
Cookie Pjc wrote:Are both battery's under the drivers seat?my custom has start stop but works on an off,does it definitely need two battery's to work,will both of them be under the drivers seat??mine doesn't work even when warm,but works when it wants,any ideas?

Yes, if you have twin batteries they are under the drivers seat, as far as I know, you can't have Start stop without twin batteries

Yes I defiantly got it because it occasionally works!!
So I must have two battery's.is there a way to run 240 in there without effecting things?for drill chargers an the like
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby apples26 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 5:30 pm

ive got stop start on my 12 plare rwd mk7 recovery

not worked since bought it a week ago then today it cut out at lights i sh*t my paints but started when i pressed clutch, presuming i have an issue somewhere

i was also told pressing the eco button turns off the 60mph speed limiter but it didnt work, pressing eco button did stop it from turning off at stop, wish i checked it when the stop start started working again but the limiter was disabled

its not working now again lol
http://WWW.NEEDATOW.CO.UK
-------------------------
apples26
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Cookie Pjc » Sun Dec 20, 2015 7:08 pm

Mines started working again today!!all I've done is unplug the iPod from usb,I normally keep that plugged in so it charges when ignition is on,I don't know if that drains the second battery or not??havent done a load of driving either,just half hour/hour round town,I was told the second battery was for start/stop only,I'll plug it back in an see if it turns start/stop off agin,surely that shouldn't drain battery to much it's on,y on when I'm driving.ford have said they need to put the battery on trickle charge so will need van over night,they just had it for a day an half last week an did f##k all with it just decided I must bring it in again,
Cookie Pjc
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby sezyal » Mon Dec 21, 2015 10:37 am

dealer told me start-stop checks for 10-12 factors to decide if it needs to stop. Mine stopped working again, probably because I drain power with car computer when it's parked. Now I stopped computer and seeing engine is stopping.
2014 Tourneo Custom 155 SWB Titanium Plus
Stratosphere Blue
+18" Sport Wheels
+HID Kit
sezyal
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom