*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

WELLHOUSE TERRIER CAMPERVAN

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Re: WELLHOUSE TERRIER CAMPERVAN

Postby johnjl » Sun Jul 02, 2017 7:03 pm

Softlips wrote:Currently doing the North Coast 500. On site with a fellow Terrier for the first time on Sunday at Applecross. Looked better than all those common T5's etc. :D

Stayed at Durness last night, Sanyo Sands site at the top of the cliffs. Windy as hell, decided to lower the roof around midnight, glad I did the winds were over 50mph.

Terrier had lots of attention at John O'Groats today, several people taking photos. Final night in Scotland tonight at Dornoch.

IMG_2298.JPG

Hi Pal,

I was the guy in the Silver Terrier that you stopped and talked to at the Applecross campsite, your van looked great with the NC 500 stickers on. We went to Ullapool the next night and then Sango sands the night after that.

The NC 500 should definitely be on every Terrier owners "must do" routes.

We have been back since but did a modified "North coast 350" route. Up the west coast through Applecross, Ullapool and Durness again but then missing out the NC 500 east coast route, which we were not too impressed by, and instead travelled down through the centre of the highlands.

The higlands are breathtaking and we will definitely be back there once the midges season is over.
johnjl

Postby Vorlich » Mon Jul 03, 2017 4:36 pm

Thanks to Bolti for sending in the Wellhouse fuse and wiring diagrams. I spent ages on Saturday digging out the sikaflex Wellhouse had kindly filled my solar panel junction box with. Clear evidence of corrosion to the wires so does not appear to have worked as intended. Also, evidence of water ingress between the laminate on the panel itself (bubble to right in pic below). Disappointed but not surprised to see nothing coming from the panel with the meter directly on the ribbon. So slicing the panel off he pop top and replacing with a couple of 100w panels looks to be a job for after I get back from holiday.

I don't think the 2x 0.75mm2 will be up to the task, so it looks like I'll have to run a new cable along to the passenger seat.

The panel is an Amperor, not sure if Wellhouse have used multiple panel suppliers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Pugs » Wed Jul 05, 2017 12:23 pm

Vorlich wrote:Hi folks, got my van in December last year and love it. A few minor issues that I've sorted, re-glued edge trip on worktop, fitted a reinforced part for rear seat drawer (it burst off the runners during emergency stop).

Unfortunately now I think my Solar panel has packed up, first noticed when I was doing some testing of battery and draw from various lights/fridge/webasto.

I bought my van used, so never had any handover from Wellhouse, and was keen to try get a better understanding of how the electrics work.

Anyhow, I noticed the CTEK 250s dual panel LED was never lit, so tested with meter. Nothing.
The fuse at the passenger seat are all ok. I tried popping the top off the panel juntion box to take a reading there, but Wellhouse have filled it with sealant or sikaflex or something, which I wasn't too impressed by.

Anyhow, I'm wondering if anyone knows how the panel cable is routed, as far as I can tell it appears to come in from the underside of the van, but it's hard to trace due to the underslung tanks. I'm trying to figure out if there are any other fuses inline, or if it's a straight run from the panel to the passenger seat fuse box. Anyone know?

Not looking forward to cutting the panel off the roof if it's needing replaced.

Hope it goes ok.

About the CTEK, looking under our passenger seat i only see the first 2 green LEDS, is that normal? Also anyone know how you get to that lot under the seats i.e. to get to the batteries etc?
Wellhouse Terrier Transit Custom
Pugs
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Vorlich » Wed Jul 05, 2017 8:15 pm

Thanks, I spent 2 hours tonight chiselling and cutting the panel off. I still have to remove the dabs of Sikaflex from the roof itself. Pretty grim job, I'll be using less Sikaflex when I fit the new panel!

I've ordered a 140w panel from photonic universe to replace the 95w Amperor one.

Hard to comment on your LEDs, there are quite a few on the D250 and MXS10.
It's worth checking out the PDF manuals on the CTEK website, remove the seat if you can and get a good look at it all. There are 4 hex bolts to remove. Just spin the seat slightly to access them, then it lifts off.
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Softlips » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:23 pm

Buy a caramel wheel off eBay to remove the sikaflex, piece of cake with one of those.
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Vorlich » Wed Jul 05, 2017 10:55 pm

Yeah I'd seen those mentioned, I would do, but time is against me as I'm off to the Alps for three weeks next Friday. I've been improvising instead, just been out again for an hour with a straight edge scalpel slicing it off. Very satisfying!
All that's left is some very thin bits which I think will come off by using the stuff I've sliced off as an 'eraser'.

Then just need to clean and prep for the new panel. I'm going to take a different approach to fixing the new panel, a dab in each corner with Sikaflex, then a couple of dabs centrally for support and seal the perimeter with Dow Weatherproof sealant. I'm half expecting I will be doing it all again in a few years, I don't think flexible panels are too robust.

Perhaps not surprisingly, there are patches under the old panel where the clear coat has bubbled, very small slightly raised bubbles, I assume due to the heat of the aluminium backing.
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bolti » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:19 pm

Anyone know what batteries or amounts, we have in these vans?
Logic tells me we should have Main battery, Stop start battery and Leisure battery.
I know under the passenger seat there is a battery . But are there two batteries under the drivers Seat. Or has the stop start battery been utilised as the leisure battery?
If anyone has a look please post on here and also what size they are.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby yasser » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:29 pm

bolti wrote:Anyone know what batteries or amounts, we have in these vans?
Logic tells me we should have Main battery, Stop start battery and Leisure battery.
I know under the passenger seat there is a battery . But are there two batteries under the drivers Seat. Or has the stop start battery been utilised as the leisure battery?

Surely the easiest way to find out is have a look!
310 DCiV L2 Limited 155
yasser
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bolti » Thu Jul 06, 2017 7:40 pm

yasser wrote:

Surely the easiest way to find out is have a look!

I know but when I start pulling the van to pieces the other half goes crazy, if someone is routing around under the seats best they post.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Vorlich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 8:25 pm

Here's what it looks like under the passenger seat, unfortunately there is some mastic covering the pertinent sticker on the leisure battery, so I can't tell the exact model, I think there are a few variants of the 957 on the banner website. Might able to work it out based on dimensions.

The sticker does say in small text 75Ah, but that seems low to me, I was sure the battery was supposed to be more than that.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Vorlich » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:01 pm

Found a post at caravan talk, which explains the 75Ah figure. EAN is identical, so yeah it is a 110Ah battery.

http://www.caravantalk.co.uk/community/topic/91799-banner-or-numax-battery/#entry991515
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby bolti » Thu Jul 06, 2017 10:49 pm

Thanks Vorlick for the information, can you confirm you have stop start if so, that means there are 3 batteries.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby Vorlich » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:11 am

bolti wrote:Thanks Vorlick for the information, can you confirm you have stop start if so, that means there are 3 batteries.

Yes, the van has stop start, although I've never checked under the driver's seat, but from what I've seen you're correct there should be 2 batteries under there.

Don't use stop/start much. My van came with a electronically operated handbrake, so whilst it works fine, it's much slower to use than lever operated.
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby Softlips » Fri Jul 07, 2017 9:08 pm

Vorlich wrote:
bolti wrote:Thanks Vorlick for the information, can you confirm you have stop start if so, that means there are 3 batteries.

Yes, the van has stop start, although I've never checked under the driver's seat, but from what I've seen you're correct there should be 2 batteries under there.

Don't use stop/start much. My van came with a electronically operated handbrake, so whilst it works fine, it's much slower to use than lever operated.

Is that an upgrade from the flyoff handbrake?
Softlips
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Vorlich » Sat Jul 08, 2017 12:07 am

Softlips wrote:
Vorlich wrote:

Is that an upgrade from the flyoff handbrake?

No. My understanding is that is was an option Wellhouse were evaluating. I think my van is one of the earliest conversions. Rocker switch sits in the dash cubby to left of steering wheel. Where the handbrake should be, I have a Furry Box™. :mrgreen:
Vorlich
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

PreviousNext

Return to Transit Custom