*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

water ingress

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

water ingress

Postby deno 1 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 6:46 pm

WELL LOOKS LIKE IM THE FIRST.....
Seem to be getting re occuring faults in the ecu.....
Spanner man took the headlight out to look for loose wires around the ecu and found water sitting in the connectors around the ecu.
Loads of push inn type connectors in that area......all of them completly soaking in water ...ecu all powdery.
Earth clamps down there attatched to the body all rusting and corroding......when i told him the water pisses inn off the windscreen he was in disbelief at such a shambles of a design............he thought it was even funnier than when he found the aircon discharge pipe empties directly onto/above one of the sensor electric connectors in the exhaust........
Even better is the fact that ford want £210 for a mass airfow sensor....inc vat
Strange how i bought a genuine ford one from a third party for just under £30 .....
I drive this van every day and it looks the biz with all the toys etc and feel proud as its a good lookin bit of kit and drives great.....but unfortunatly i have to say its the biggest pile of shite iv ever owned ........Mainly down to design issues and pathetic dealer back up.....
deno 1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: water ingress

Postby S60r » Thu Aug 04, 2016 7:10 pm

Yes the ECU is literally covered in water when it rains. I am about to make a shield to deflect the water away. Its a crap design!

I had the ECU out yesterday to remap it (the van is 7 months old) and the ECU is covered in powdery corrosion where it has been soaked! Ridiculous!

A cheap fix is happening, but why should you have to do it? Dreadful design.

The other side (offside) is no better. The water from that sits in the cross beam and will corrode over time. I'm going to fit shields to both drain offs on both sides.

Hope yours isn't damaged and gets sorted. :|
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Thu Aug 04, 2016 9:54 pm

Its not just from the drain points its all the water from around the windscreen there was posts on water ingress two years ago, I covered the ECU with epdm rubber sheet to channel the water past the ECU...
"Don't find fault, find a remedy"
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby bolti » Fri Aug 05, 2016 2:21 pm

Had mine into ford. They have sealed where the door pillar meets the wing and between the windscreen and the wing (big gap there that you cannot see).
Whilst chatting to the mechanic, I was told they are starting to see vans with water entering the ecu via the plugs and also entering the wiring loom if you have had the windscreen replaced and its not been bonded in properly.
bolti
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Postby stevo » Fri Aug 05, 2016 4:25 pm

All of this begs the question, if theres water getting into places like the ecu, where in the chassis is water getting that is going to cause it to rot? Ill give it another year until there are members on here with rust starting to show through.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk
Formely ibanez2005

Your's is the new Ford Transit!

2003 100 T260 TDDi swb
stevo
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby ustwo1966 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 6:48 pm

Do ford have a TSB on this , for what its worth lol
ustwo1966
Transit Fan
Transit Fan

Postby deno 1 » Fri Aug 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Ford are well aware of the issue and have been for some time...... there was a bit of a bodge up job they attempted with a bit of double side tape that didnt work........
Ford aint stupid ......they are fully aware that water probably wont do much damage in the short term (warrentte period) but and after that they will cash inn big time when the vans start failing.........
I can imagine a new ecu and any relevant parts of the wiring loom and a reprogram will cost a small fortune......
Nothing short of racketeering in my opinion......
deno 1
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby keeff » Fri Aug 05, 2016 8:38 pm

Mine had the abs module go . It killed or the electrics even the computer would not communicate with. I covered the ecu but make sure it comes out over the abs unit or the water will run down on that. If they get covered from new they should be ok but . Don't tell me they still have the same setup on the new engine vans. Any one looked to see if they have fixed the door fault on the new ones?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
keeff
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby John Johnson » Sat Aug 06, 2016 8:36 am

I've just got my new one and looked at the mod on the scuttle to stop it dropping water onto the ecu lol
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 9:05 am

Can you post some pictures, please
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby John Johnson » Sat Aug 06, 2016 10:14 am

Think it's the same as before , this is the new euro 6 van
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sat Aug 06, 2016 1:17 pm

Yes mine has this "mod". I will be modding this myself now.... My ecu is covered in water mark corrosion.
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby moley551 » Sat Aug 06, 2016 7:01 pm

S60r, not sure what mod you are referring to, forget the plastic scuttle tray and molded rubber corners in the picture, just pour a bottle of water down from the top of the A piller roof gutter, on the older vans and probably the new ones the water will exit over the wiper motors from under the black masked area of the windscreen it doesn't go anywhere near the black trim.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=156708&start=30
H. Ford
moley551
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby S60r » Sun Aug 07, 2016 6:24 am

moley551 wrote:S60r, not sure what mod you are referring to, forget the plastic scuttle tray and molded rubber corners in the picture, just pour a bottle of water down from the top of the A piller roof gutter, on the older vans and probably the new ones the water will exit over the wiper motors from under the black masked area of the windscreen it doesn't go anywhere near the black trim.

viewtopic.php?f=65&t=156708&start=30

I honestly thought the corner piece and 2 clips was Fords idea of a cheap fix mod..... Now I have watched the video and read through that thread I will be doing this today. My ecu has been sealed with instant gasket (same thing ford uses) but I will deflect the water away with my own contraption. A truly dreadful design from them and surely must present problems at some point in the vans lifetime. Thanks for the link. :)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby John Johnson » Sun Aug 07, 2016 7:18 am

IT does beg the question of why do all the pre sale testing and then find out after ? It's like the fuel filler neck rhd. You filled up and it pissed out which they denied then redesigned ! I got the excuse they never filled a tank with juice
John Johnson
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Next

Return to Transit Custom