*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

Sync 3 Volume Limiter!

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

Sync 3 Volume Limiter!

Postby Chilster » Fri Jun 22, 2018 12:52 am

So I get my new 2018 Transit custom... it's great, drives well, the cab is amazing, it's a joy to drive... it's a thing of beauty!

I get on the motorway and my favourite song comes on.... i crank it up!

erm.... well i try... but Sync 3 has other ideas, it limits the sound.

WTF! Can i not damage my own ears if i want to to? I've paid £29'000 for this thing.... can i at least decide if i want my ears to bleed!!!????

Apparently ford says no!

Can anyone on here can help and suggest how i turn off "Audio Nanny"

Thanks in advance.
Black Transit Custom Limited
Chilster

Re: Sync 3 Volume Limiter!

Postby stephen_a_baker » Wed Jun 19, 2019 8:20 am

This is the same for me.....did you get it sorted?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stephen_a_baker

Postby Dan T » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:53 pm

I believe the speakers max out power wise at vol 15.
There's direct fit upgrades available that utilise the output better, there supposed to be very good.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby stephen_a_baker » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:20 am

Dan T wrote:I believe the speakers max out power wise at vol 15.
There's direct fit upgrades available that utilise the output better, there supposed to be very good.

Tell me more?? I really want to sort this out

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
stephen_a_baker

Postby Dan T » Wed Jul 10, 2019 4:23 pm

Powerbass do a direct fit speaker upgrade. Read alot online about how much better they are, but not got my facelift yet to make the swap and decide.
Some poeple are fitting slimline amps too, but the speaker upgrade wih some dynomat aparently is a great reasonably priced upgrade... I'll likely be doing it soon.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby seikokid » Thu Jul 11, 2019 5:39 am

speaker upgrade still cuts out at 15. i thought it was the amp max ing our due to the power output. does sound heaps better but bit in a motorway you need / want more . if it cut out at 20 that would be enough
seikokid
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Dan T » Thu Jul 11, 2019 9:52 am

seikokid wrote:speaker upgrade still cuts out at 15. i thought it was the amp max ing our due to the power output. does sound heaps better but bit in a motorway you need / want more . if it cut out at 20 that would be enough

I've not done it myself but I'm going to upgrade mine when it arrives and see how it sounds.
Worst case fit an amp if the upgraded spekers are still too limp.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby Dan T » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:04 pm

Just an update for anyone who’s interested...

Fitted a set of the Powerbass direct fit upgrades. There is a small volume increase and they do sound crisper, but you do notice even more that the amp in the head unit is still not up to scratch. I’d go as far as saying it’s not worth the money as a stand-alone upgrade. I added dynamatt too and this does improve the road noise.
I’m going to fit an amp next I think, don’t think I can live with the pulsing volume even at low 20’s.

To be continued...
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby bambi mk 1 » Thu Dec 26, 2019 5:12 pm

Dan T wrote:Just an update for anyone who’s interested...

Fitted a set of the Powerbass direct fit upgrades. There is a small volume increase and they do sound crisper, but you do notice even more that the amp in the head unit is still not up to scratch. I’d go as far as saying it’s not worth the money as a stand-alone upgrade. I added dynamatt too and this does improve the road noise.
I’m going to fit an amp next I think, don’t think I can live with the pulsing volume even at low 20’s.

To be continued...

Just get a live band and a few keg's in the back and you will be grand :P
On the sixth day God created a Sprinter on the seventh he gave it away and bought a TRANSIT
bambi mk 1
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist

Postby Dan T » Thu Dec 26, 2019 10:05 pm

:P
bambi mk 1 wrote:
Dan T wrote:Just an update for anyone who’s interested...

To be continued...

Just get a live band and a few keg's in the back and you will be grand :P
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby S60r » Fri Dec 27, 2019 10:28 am

I’m about to start on my 2018 sync 3 upgrades.

I think the issue is more compression than volume decrease....the software in the headunit seems to drop out the bass and middle as the volume is passing 19.... the loudest in mine is 19/20 anything passing that is pointless.

I like to keep everything oem so I will be keeping the hu and top touch screen and all the Ford functionality.
I’m looking at class d in line amps with dsp that will address this compression issue..... I wonder if it can be turned off?

Firstly though, I’ll be copying what I did in my 2015 custom and deadening everything adding some very sensitive door speakers and a sub.
I will also look at the possibility of adding some 9x6 in the doors instead of the 6.5 standard speakers. I make my own speaker rings so everything is possible the amount of improvement was huge on the 2015 with just the above.......

Let’s all keep comparing notes to see what is possible with this new set up.

:)
S60r
Transit Devotee
Transit Devotee

Postby Dan T » Fri Dec 27, 2019 11:52 am

S60r wrote:I’m about to start on my 2018 sync 3 upgrades.

I think the issue is more compression than volume decrease....the software in the headunit seems to drop out the bass and middle as the volume is passing 19.... the loudest in mine is 19/20 anything passing that is pointless.

I like to keep everything oem so I will be keeping the hu and top touch screen and all the Ford functionality.
I’m looking at class d in line amps with dsp that will address this compression issue..... I wonder if it can be turned off?

Firstly though, I’ll be copying what I did in my 2015 custom and deadening everything adding some very sensitive door speakers and a sub.
I will also look at the possibility of adding some 9x6 in the doors instead of the 6.5 standard speakers. I make my own speaker rings so everything is possible the amount of improvement was huge on the 2015 with just the above.......

Let’s all keep comparing notes to see what is possible with this new set up.

:)

Mine will increase right up to high 20's, but the minute the low end kicks in, it can't drive it anymore.
From reading about Amp and sub are a minimum with some descent speakers.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby monot595 » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:22 pm

Hi All

I'm new to the forum and I've joined as this thread seems to be the only post on the entire internet that acknowledges that the ford sync 3 system limits the volume to no more than 20. Like you guys if I want to make my ears bleed the vans system wont let me. If the music is high treble the volume will increase marignally but as soon as any bass starts it lowers again to a "safe" level. Crap! I've upgraded my speakers but its made no difference albeit the sound is crisper - but the volume issue remains. The speakers I have fitted will take all the abuse the standard head unit can throw at them - has anyone resolved without fitting amps?

I'm going to fit a monobloc amp for dual subs and another to run rear 6x9's but I wanted the front speaks to just run as "normal" i.e. gain volume to the 30 max volume level?

What happens if an audio shop does an upgrade? I'd be monumentally pee'd off if I got it back after paying several £00 and its not better...
Is there no clever audio propeller-head with a laptop that can reprogram this? turn it off all together? with some sort of ODBC device? without having to go down the route of installing amp to the front?

Could it be at that though they system states its off, is this issue to do with the adaptive volume actually being on permanently?

Your words iof wisdom would be very welcome

TIA
monot595

Postby Dan T » Mon Jul 06, 2020 12:40 am

monot595 wrote:Hi All

I'm new to the forum and I've joined as this thread seems to be the only post on the entire internet that acknowledges that the ford sync 3 system limits the volume to no more than 20. Like you guys if I want to make my ears bleed the vans system wont let me. If the music is high treble the volume will increase marignally but as soon as any bass starts it lowers again to a "safe" level. Crap! I've upgraded my speakers but its made no difference albeit the sound is crisper - but the volume issue remains. The speakers I have fitted will take all the abuse the standard head unit can throw at them - has anyone resolved without fitting amps?

I'm going to fit a monobloc amp for dual subs and another to run rear 6x9's but I wanted the front speaks to just run as "normal" i.e. gain volume to the 30 max volume level?

What happens if an audio shop does an upgrade? I'd be monumentally pee'd off if I got it back after paying several £00 and its not better...
Is there no clever audio propeller-head with a laptop that can reprogram this? turn it off all together? with some sort of ODBC device? without having to go down the route of installing amp to the front?

Could it be at that though they system states its off, is this issue to do with the adaptive volume actually being on permanently?

Your words iof wisdom would be very welcome

TIA

The simple fact is the amp in the factory unit isn’t powerful enough and will compress when the low end kicks in above 18-20.
Higher efficiency speakers will help, but there’s a limit on the HU amp output.
I changed speakers and tweeters before sticking an amp in. The sound is much much better and louder. I’ve considered a compact sub too and then filtering low end out of the amp to improve the output... All depends on your expectations really.
Dan T
Transit Fanatic
Transit Fanatic

Postby sparkie1984 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:41 pm

Glad I found this!!!!

Been doing my head in not being able to crank it up. I had a quick google and others have mentioned issues that seemed to be resolved with a software update. But it’s mostly in cars where the sound to the front seems to cut down. Could be our issue?

I wonder if anyone with a new van has this issue also? If not maybe software could solve it?

Is there anyway of finding out if there’s any updates to the various modules?
sparkie1984
Transit Addict
Transit Addict

Next

Return to Transit Custom