*NOW BOOKED FOR 2024* Transitmania 15 @ Santa Pod 19th to 21st July 2024 *ALL DETAILS HERE*

12k in with 67 plate 170PS Sport

The all new 2013 Transit Custom Forum. Transits and Tourneos 2013+

12k in with 67 plate 170PS Sport

Postby woodbutcherbower » Tue Aug 14, 2018 3:40 pm

Morning all,

I'm a newbie to the forum and I've read a lot of threads about various mechanical and electrical problems on Customs. So just to balance things out a bit - here's my 10 cents worth ...

Bought outright at the back end of last year. Loaded dealer stock model fitted with factory Sat Nav, 18" rims, flip-up roof bars, inverter, LED's etc. etc. etc..
I racked it out for Tanos and Festool Systainers - I'm a joiner and almost all of my kit is housed in these things, making the rack-out result a total joy.
I fitted a Hykee lock to the drivers door, plus two deadlocks each (top and bottom) to the rear and N/S cargo doors. I have a lot of expensive kit stored in the back.
I always wanted it to 'hide in plain sight' rather than it looking like a tradesman's van full of kit - so it also now has a roof spoiler and a double DTM-style tailpipe.
There's no signwriting or any other visible clue as to its contents - it looks like an upmarket hipster's day van which suits me fine.
My last van (a 55 plate Connect) had done 272k miles at p/ex, and was totally unburstable. I always changed the oil and filter every 6k from new.
Coincidence? Luck? Maybe - but the Sport is getting the same 6k treatment.
I run it on standard diesel, but run a fill of Ultimate every 4th or 5th time to flush any cr4p out.
I'm getting 35mpg - but it uses double the amount of AdBlue claimed by Ford.
It absolutely eats front tyres as per the threads on here. 8k for the first set, even though I take off one rigger boot and wear a fluffy slipper on my right foot.
I've done 12k so far, and it's as sweet as a nut. Zero faults, zero hassle, zero warnings, lovely to drive, lovely to look at.

So Ford have at least one 95% happy owner ...... :D

All the best.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Re: 12k in with 67 plate 170PS Sport

Postby Altransit » Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:24 am

Good to hear 8) :D

You'll always get an unbalanced view on any forum, because most owners will only come on to have a moan, or ask why they have a problem with the vehicle, or how to fix it.
I see thousands of Customs and Mk8's, out on the road and working, every week, so there can't be more than a small percentage that have major problems.

A few members on here have extended the tyre life on the sport by fitting a slightly larger profile tyre (50 instead of 45) so could be worth a try for you :idea:
1994 Mk4 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (R.I.P.)
1997 Mk5 SWB 115 Minibus 70ps Di (Gone, but not forgotten!)
2004 Mk6 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.0 TDDi - Vantunered (Also gone)
2008 Mk7 SWB T280 Medium Roof 85PS 2.2 TDCi - Also Vantunered
Altransit
Site Moderator

Postby WestLondonCooling » Fri Aug 17, 2018 7:24 pm

Sounds like your the lucky one lol

I’m 17k in on a 66 plate 170 sport... 22mpg (hour long 15 mile journeys into London)

Same deal with tyres :-/ about to get some new fronts on again!
Had all the hoohaa with the oil light etc.
Done 4-5 refills of addblue
I now have brake pad warning
And last week ‘engine run-away’!! Headed onto an A road, got up to 3rd gear and the revs went through the roof... all the safety kit kicked in and cut the engine (older engines apparently will keep screaming until you stall it)
This also explains the 3-4L of oil I had to top it up with recently... so the turbo is sucking the oil out of the sump according to google.
Also have the recalls to get sorted, plus I will mention steering wheel flaking away in my hands and the gear knob number section falling off. Oh and a juddering drivers side window and ancient sounding sliding door mechanism

I may add to this within the next couple of weeks lol
WestLondonCooling

Postby richbee » Tue Aug 21, 2018 3:07 pm

8k for front tyres :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!
Knew 18s were bad but not that bad.

I've got 16s on and less than 1/2 worn after 26k. 18s definitely look a lot better, but......

I'm also almost all happy with mine after 18 months - 130 euro 6. Only has oil light thing happen once.

Adblue lasts around 8k per tank full, but I'm mostly doing a 60 mile A road & motorway commute, so dead easy on the engine (&tyres too) I guess.
richbee
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby woodbutcherbower » Tue Aug 21, 2018 4:13 pm

richbee wrote:8k for front tyres :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

Wow!
Knew 18s were bad but not that bad.

I've got 16s on and less than 1/2 worn after 26k. 18s definitely look a lot better, but......

I'm also almost all happy with mine after 18 months - 130 euro 6. Only has oil light thing happen once.

Adblue lasts around 8k per tank full, but I'm mostly doing a 60 mile A road & motorway commute, so dead easy on the engine (&tyres too) I guess.

Yeah, the tyre wear is insane - many threads on here. The problem is that no-one makes a proper van tyre in this size, so we’re stuck with standard soft compound jobs. The rear ones are virtually unworn.
woodbutcherbower
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby CRM » Thu Aug 23, 2018 3:02 pm

FWIW
I am running a 14 plate 155 Sport, 28k miles on the clock now
Only issues have been cracked screen and failed heated elements (replaced by dealer)
34mpg average and its usually unloaded and empty. never carries more than 2 motorbikes in the back and around 350 kilos tops loaded.
Front tyres were done at 9k, changed with Bridgestone Blizaks winter tyres that were not only cheaper but have lasted around double the distance - but even in the dry and summer feel and handle better and of course when its wet they are astounding.
i would heartily recommend these tyres over the OE goodyear 18" even for all year round use.

Edit to add, its been reliable and so far stress free, however its been over serviced with oil and filter changes every year or 5k on average now.
Needless to say it doesn't use any oil and nor does the level seem to rise either.
I think i got lucky with mine, but i am looking to sell this soon and buy another sport.
CRM
Transit Aficionado
Transit Aficionado

Postby Mike » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:33 pm

woodbutcherbower wrote:
Yeah, the tyre wear is insane - many threads on here. The problem is that no-one makes a proper van tyre in this size, so we’re stuck with standard soft compound jobs. The rear ones are virtually unworn.

You should get a group of sport vanners together and have a convoy to Ford head office to protest...
Mike
Wind up merchant!

Postby bigjohnthomas » Thu Aug 23, 2018 5:59 pm

Now then ,now then
I put a part worn one on mine for it's first mot last year front passenger side
it had 62 thousand miles on it then
It's a hankook v12 Evo 2 had about 6mm on it 35 quid fitted off that one in scunni near farm foods you know
Anyways up it's due another mot next month it's on 81 thousands of miles now and said Tyre still has 2mm left on it
In places but more on the outsides than the insides too
So that's 20000 miles and not even a full Tyre to start with
Mines only an old 155 sport though

But if you want a convoy to Ford's head office in protest
Add your name to the list
We will of course be doing it naked to raise awareness :D

Mike
Bigjohnthomas
bigjohnthomas
Transit Extremist
Transit Extremist